PDA

View Full Version : Hillbilly primer catcher

Jim
10-24-2012, 06:14 PM
I've tried all sorts of things to catch spent primers coming out of the press. I finally found something that works. It's kinda' hokie, but it works. I jambed a cat litter bucket behind the bolt stems that hold the press to the bench. A slot cut down the outside allows the handle to go all the way down. When I'm done depriming, it pops out and stores under the bench.

http://floydpics.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/dscn1277-e1351116557503.jpg

BoolitSchuuter
10-24-2012, 06:46 PM
If it's kinda hokie, and works. It ain't hokie.

:guntootsmiley:

EDIT: BTW, love the avatar of a man and his Houndawg. Is that a Black and Tan or a Walker?

Crash_Corrigan
10-24-2012, 06:48 PM
I love the camo handles on the pair of pliers next to the press. As for me I like the bright orange ones that scream to me "I am over here you blind old phart" after I misplace them for the 88th time.

OneSkinnyMass
10-24-2012, 06:54 PM
Tell us true now, you envisioned this when you were mounting that press with the extra long bolts :kidding:

Skinny

soli
10-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Good idea,What is the Black thing on the side of the press?

Jim
10-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Good idea,What is the Black thing on the side of the press?

Magnets for holding a Lee universal case holder, a spare #2 shell holder and my Lyman case reamer.

shotman
10-24-2012, 08:23 PM
guess you dont have a Heavy Duty deprimer.
Panty hose works better and if used they smell good

Jim
10-24-2012, 08:57 PM
We need a face palm emoticon.

meshugunner
10-24-2012, 09:13 PM
QUOTE=Jim;1893063]We need a face palm emoticon.[/QUOTE] this will do... :groner:[

Well it doesnt win any booty prizes but it's simple, effective and cheap. I've been thinking about the zact same problem with the zact same setup. I'll post my Rube Goldberg setup when I'm done. I decapped about 1000 9mm cases recently and spend more time chasing the spent primers than I did actually decapping.

44Vaquero
10-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Well it certainly is the biggest primer catcher I have ever seen. It may never need to be emptied and for that Sir you deserve a Bud Light!

10-24-2012, 11:04 PM
Jim, a few years ago, I called RCBS to buy a primer catcher, for a used JR 3 that I had purchased, and they sent one for no charge. Give them a call.

geargnasher
10-25-2012, 01:57 AM
[looks at his Lee bored-through ram presses and smiles to self, looks at his Pro-1000s and RCBS Ammomaster and grits teeth, concludes Jim has good idea to fix the lack of engineering of some presses]

Gear

Roosters
10-25-2012, 08:08 AM
Hey I noticed we have the same Speer Reloading Manual, late 70s or early 80s vintage I think. Lot of loads in that you can’t find anywhere else.
My primer catcher is not as fancy as yours. I just cut a drinking straw and slipped it in the grove under the shell holder so they would funnel into the original catch tray without bouncing everywhere.
Do you need a Haz-Mat placard to take yours to empty it ?? :kidding:

Jim
10-25-2012, 08:08 AM
[looks at his Lee bored-through ram presses and smiles to self, looks at his Pro-1000s and RCBS Ammomaster and grits teeth, concludes Jim has good idea to fix the lack of engineering of some presses]Gear

I'll take that as a compliment. Thank you, Gear.

3006guns
10-25-2012, 01:04 PM
[looks at his Lee bored-through ram presses and smiles to self, looks at his Pro-1000s and RCBS Ammomaster and grits teeth, concludes Jim has good idea to fix the lack of engineering of some presses]

Gear

He's right.......there are a number of older press designs that didn't allow for spent primer handling........translation: they forgot.

Not only is the idea brilliant in its simplicity and cost, it's can be transferred to different presses. Good job!

By all means take that sucker to the scrap yard when it's full...$$$!!

r1kk1
10-25-2012, 05:39 PM

Gear

Looks at his drilled solid ram on his Champion and smiles. The same for A-2s, etc., Redding, CO-AX but these are hollow jobies. Not picking on you Gear!

Take care,

r1kk1

Jim
10-25-2012, 06:58 PM
He's right.......there are a number of older press designs that didn't allow for spent primer handling........translation: they forgot.

Not only is the idea brilliant in its simplicity and cost, it's can be transferred to different presses. Good job!

By all means take that sucker to the scrap yard when it's full...$$$!!

They won't take it. They told me if there's a pop from a live primer or explosion from a live round at the processor, they get fined $500. I dunno, I'm just repeatin' what the man told me.

izzyjoe
10-25-2012, 07:14 PM
i can understand that somtimes a Live one will get droped in by mistake, and i'm not going in after it. very clever idea Jim, once again you show us how crafty you are! 8-)

Floydster
10-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Now, that's the cats meow:)

Smokeyloads

Hardcast416taylor
10-26-2012, 02:24 PM
I`ll bet those spent primers falling irritate the cats while they`re doing their duty in the pail!!:mrgreen:Robert

GP100man
10-31-2012, 12:11 AM
WHAT !!!!?????

Looks good to me !

gwpercle
11-01-2012, 01:37 PM
My catcher is low-tech... a cardboard box on the floor. As soon as I can score a kitty litter bucket I'm moving into the 21 st century. That's the neatest repurposed primer catcher I've ever seen.

Now days it's called " repurposed " I allways thought of it as using what you got so you don't have to spend money you don't have.

gary

PS Paul
11-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Man, I just stepped on ANOTHER spent primer with bare feet last night on my wood floor. Ouchey.

Jim
11-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Wear shoes.

leadman
11-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Even with the factory primer catcher on my RCBS some would get away. My son had the same problem so he heated a piece of plastic for use in police vehicles for extra switches and bent it to fit inside the primer catcher, so now they don't escape. If you have the factory primer setup on the press they don't escape.

Good job on the "universal primer catcher".

A pause for the COZ
11-02-2012, 06:49 PM
I like your simple fix to stiffin up the press mount. With two pieces of flat steel you dont even have to be fussy about the holes.
Good one.

Jim
11-02-2012, 07:29 PM
I like your simple fix to stiffin up the press mount. With two pieces of flat steel you dont even have to be fussy about the holes.
Good one.

I did that because I broke the entire edge of my bench off forming 6.5X55 from M1919 brass.

ZigZagMarquis
11-18-2012, 10:58 AM
I jambed a cat litter bucket behind the bolt stems that hold the press to the bench.
http://floydpics.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/dscn1277-e1351116557503.jpg

COOL!

Finally! Having a cat provides something usefull!!

:razz:

Jim
11-18-2012, 11:03 AM
I got the bucket from a friend. He and his wife have ten cats, so they use a lot of litter.

RoGrrr
11-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Unfortunately, it won't fit on my Dillon :(

TRguy
11-18-2012, 08:34 PM

I agree with this

WilliamDahl
11-18-2012, 10:10 PM

Like this?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/asset.php?fid=53992&uid=24495&d=1353312216

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=54171&d=1353378105

DCM
11-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Unfortunately, it won't fit on my Dillon :(

Depending on which Dillon you have you can get or make a drop tube that goes in to the bucket or wastebasket of your choice.

Jim simple, effective and cost efficient! Love it!

WilliamDahl
11-19-2012, 04:15 AM
Depending on which Dillon you have you can get or make a drop tube that goes in to the bucket or wastebasket of your choice.

Jim simple, effective and cost efficient! Love it!

I don't see anything wrong with the primer catcher that came with my Dillon press. Sure, it's small, but it catches all the primers and it lasts for more cartridges than I am likely to do in a reloading session (or even a couple of reloading sessions). The limiting factor for me is the number of primers in the primer tube. When I need to stop to reload primers, I grab a beer. I usually dump the primer catcher every few beers, whether it needs it or not.

ZigZagMarquis
11-19-2012, 09:59 PM
I got the bucket from a friend. He and his wife have ten cats, so they use a lot of litter.

That's the best kind of cat to have!

One that stays outside (your house) all the time and eats at someone else's house!

:razz:

williamwaco
11-19-2012, 10:21 PM
When it gets full, you won't be able to lift it to empty it.

You can post an invite for beer and pizza and we will all come over and help.

WilliamDahl
11-19-2012, 10:26 PM
Kind of poetic justice considering the fact that I use spent primers as "shot" in .357mag rounds to shoot at stray cats...

Four Fingers of Death
11-20-2012, 06:15 AM
When I was in the reserve Army, some of our SLRs (FN/FAL) were painted Padi Field Green with black blotches. One of our more incompetent excuses for a soldier put his rifle down, which was verboten and wandered away from it, (strictly verboten). It took us all that afternoon and a few hours the next morning to find it. He spent the rest of his time that he had to serve in lieu of being called up helping the cook, washing Landrovers, sweeping floors and digging latrines. He wasn't completely useless, but he was as close as I have ever seen, lol.

WilliamDahl
11-20-2012, 12:38 PM
When I was travelling around the State troubleshooting in prisons, I had tomove on afetr spending two years at one place. I bought these great big black bins and loaded them upwith my reloading gear, boolits, bullets, etc, etc. Trouble is, when they were full, two of us couldn't lift them, D'Oh!

I've used the open top lid 55g poly barrels for grouping / protection of things when I'm moving before. They are cheap (often free or at most $15) and watertight. I figured that at worst, I would just use my hand truck to move them. Turned out that they weighed enough that the tires on the hand truck just came off the rims and lost air. When you fill one of these up with ammo (or even just brass), you really end up having a lot of weight to move around.

mold maker
11-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Yep..... I once filled 13- 5gal buckets with indoor range lead. Then had to hand carry it 30yds and up 11 steep steps to get to parking lot level. I almost didn't make it. Went home and got 10 more buckets to split up the load. At the time I wondered if I really needed it.
A couple weeks later when it was all in ingots and #2 brass it looked a lot better.
I guess you could call it greed, or just foolishness, but we all do it, without thinking.

WilliamDahl
11-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Yep..... I once filled 13- 5gal buckets with indoor range lead. Then had to hand carry it 30yds and up 11 steep steps to get to parking lot level. I almost didn't make it. Went home and got 10 more buckets to split up the load. At the time I wondered if I really needed it.
A couple weeks later when it was all in ingots and #2 brass it looked a lot better.
I guess you could call it greed, or just foolishness, but we all do it, without thinking.

I learned rather quickly that you don't fill 5g buckets with wheelweights. That wire bale can quickly rip out and even if it doesn't, it feels like it is wanting to rip through your fingers. It's a lot better to go with half full buckets in each hand and heavy leather gloves to keep the bale from trying to remove half your fingers.

Remember when we could buy nails in small wooden barrels?
Remember when 50 lb bags of dog food were common (you mainly see 40 lb bags these days)?
Remember when beer came in 24 unit cases instead of the 20 unit "cases" that you see these days?

It's like the manufacturers are decreasing the size of everything because the wimpy-*** "metrosexual" males cannot lift anything these days...

Four Fingers of Death
11-21-2012, 05:35 AM
I've used the open top lid 55g poly barrels for grouping / protection of things when I'm moving before. They are cheap (often free or at most $15) and watertight. I figured that at worst, I would just use my hand truck to move them. Turned out that they weighed enough that the tires on the hand truck just came off the rims and lost air. When you fill one of these up with ammo (or even just brass), you really end up having a lot of weight to move around.

HaHa!

o6Patient
12-27-2012, 06:41 PM
How many still manage to miss the bucket? They are trained acrobats.

o6Patient
01-05-2013, 09:48 AM
I've always done something very similar underneath my case trimmers, saves a lot of extra clean up.

zuke
01-05-2013, 09:56 AM
I started with an rcbs jr-3. When I got tired of the missed primer's and my mom got tired of having them on the floor I was told to "clean up my act".
I found LEE press's catch their primer's and went that way. I bought a LEE turret press 25 year's ago and it's still going strong after this many year's and ton's of ammo later.

r1kk1
01-05-2013, 11:43 AM
I started with an rcbs jr-3. When I got tired of the missed primer's and my mom got tired of having them on the floor I was told to "clean up my act".
I found LEE press's catch their primer's and went that way. I bought a LEE turret press 25 year's ago and it's still going strong after this many year's and ton's of ammo later.

I do not remember the Lee alloy turret presses having through the ram primer disposal. The CC turret press hasn't been around that long. Correct me if I'm wrong.

r1kk1

Four Fingers of Death
01-05-2013, 06:18 PM
They are like the Lee1000 I think, primers get trapped in the base of the press, but very few go astray. Messy when you eventually undo the press.

r1kk1
01-05-2013, 09:53 PM
They are like the Lee1000 I think, primers get trapped in the base of the press, but very few go astray. Messy when you eventually undo the press.

Thanks 4fingers

r1kk1

zuke
01-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Yep it can be messy. What I did was drilled a 1 inch hole under the press and picked up a 3 ft long piece of plastic tubing.
Wedge the tube in so it doesn't fall out and put the other end in a 1 gallon tin can. When the primer's come out they now end up in the bucket.
But the one problem I did have was the lack of a priming arm to deflect the spent primer's to the base. After getting tired of half assing the job I had a great idea. Turn the ram 90% to the side and catch them that way,and it work's! The only one's that might get away now are tightly crimped one's.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy356/zuke_bucket/DSCF1750.jpg

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy356/zuke_bucket/DSCF1751.jpg

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy356/zuke_bucket/DSCF1758.jpg

Four Fingers of Death
01-06-2013, 10:01 AM
That's clever! What am I looking at in the last pic?

Looks like that press doesn't owe you anything.

Sonnypie
01-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Looks fine to me, Jim.
Ahh, memories of the Ol Model 3! It always spit them out at us like that.
I always said it needed a 55 gallon drum to catch the primers going this way and that.
Finally, the floor won. Clean them up later.
Then I stopped using my "messy press'" for depriming.
Now I use a Forester (mostly) to deprime with. The drop tube and small bottle work well.
Or I can remove the bottle and put the trash can under it and let them fall.
The RCBS 4X4 has a trash can under its drop tube, and the shotgun press has a copper pipe installed so the spent primers there drop into the trash can as well. (same can)

Sweetpea
01-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Here's mine for my old Hornady C press. I realized last week that I had never used it for sizing before, and there was no primer catcher.

It isn't perfect, and could use some tweaking still. Still catches 95%, comparable to my RCSupreme.

Beats the heck out of 100% on the floor!:drinks:577185771957720

John Boy
01-06-2013, 03:16 PM
A quick and easy primer catcher for the Lee 3 Hole Turret Press ...

It's nothing more than a cut down plastic cup with a hole large enough to go down over the ram. The pan is the same concept as the ones on the RCBS press. Works great
Without the 'catcher' the primers slid down the slot in the ram and straight out onto the floor. Now they go right into the cup ;D

Yes, they are new primers. Bought cheap, a mess of 30-30's that were primed with CCI LR's. I was in the process of reforming a 100 for the 8.15 x 46R (32-40) caliber

zuke
01-06-2013, 08:00 PM
That's clever! What am I looking at in the last pic?

Looks like that press doesn't owe you anything.

The last pic is of the ram and how I drilled a hole 90% to the exhisting one.

Sonnypie
01-06-2013, 08:18 PM
I learned rather quickly that you don't fill 5g buckets with wheelweights. That wire bale can quickly rip out and even if it doesn't, it feels like it is wanting to rip through your fingers. It's a lot better to go with half full buckets in each hand and heavy leather gloves to keep the bale from trying to remove half your fingers.

Remember when we could buy nails in small wooden barrels?
Remember when 50 lb bags of dog food were common (you mainly see 40 lb bags these days)?
Remember when beer came in 24 unit cases instead of the 20 unit "cases" that you see these days?

It's like the manufacturers are decreasing the size of everything because the wimpy-*** "metrosexual" males cannot lift anything these days...

Sigh!
Yeah, I remember all of those. And the price of the shrunken containers sure have gone up.
Remember when those 5 gallon buckets were steel?

I got the fun of carrying a 5 gallon plastic bucket near full of warm water and a tad over 28 pounds of cast 45 ACP bullets out to where I could dump the water off. (It didn't start out that full. I just got carried away.)
That thing was heavy!
Yep... my days of 30 packs of beer came to a screeching halt, too. :(
Golden years my butt. :roll: :-D

Four Fingers of Death
01-06-2013, 09:25 PM
The last pic is of the ram and how I drilled a hole 90% to the exhisting one.
Thanks I sorta figured it out after I posted. Made me think if you did it 180° to where you are now, the fence woulbe well out of the way when you are placing cases on the shellholder or boolits into the charged case. Well, for a right handed at least.

Four Fingers of Death
01-06-2013, 09:32 PM
The smaller containers are the work of safety bods or insurance wallas. Hopefully there won't be so many crippled up old farts in years to come. I used to deliver cement. The bags were a hundredweight each, which is an old imperial measure of 112lb. I was as strong as an ox and would carry one under each arm so that I got away quickly and had time for a beer on the way back to the depot. Little wonder my back is buggered now.

Baron von Trollwhack
01-06-2013, 10:09 PM
The bucket will only hold primers below the handle slot. That is OK. Dump them into a different unmodified bucket.

When you have collected all the spent primers you care to lift, TRADE THEM AT THE RECYCLING CENTER FOR PURE LEAD SHEETING OR THE LIKE AT A RATE OF ONE BRASS FOR TWO, SOMETIMES MORE OF THE LEAD. GOOD FOR YOU!
They would rather have brass than lead.
BvT

baer19d
01-07-2013, 07:17 AM
I really need to figure out a primer catcher for my Lyman ST press. I contacted Lyman and they no longer have any in stock so I guess I need to get creative.

Hank10
01-07-2013, 08:26 PM
In 1977 I took a tour of RCBS factory with Bill Jordan(famous border patrolman, author, trickshooter, etc) soon as we got to the press dept. he tried to pin them down on the spent primer issue, they had no answer, none. I was having the same problem so when I got back home I pop riveted a plate to the back of the primer catcher and installed the tube down to a plastic Jerky Jar. It's been catching primers for over 30 yrs. for this RCBS Rockchucker. I have some other presses that I haven't figured out an answer yet.
http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo111/baymuoibay/002-35_zps0b3e0225.jpg
Hank10

bruce drake
01-07-2013, 11:15 PM
THat's a good idea Hank! I'm going to have to copying it.

Four Fingers of Death
01-08-2013, 07:38 AM
Very flash Hank! 9 out of 10,If you had of painted it green, mateeeeeeeeeeeee 10 out of 10! haha!