PDA

View Full Version : How Many People Have a CCW License?

Jeff82
10-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Just curious. I have one, but have no idea when I'd ever use it.

firefly1957
10-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Once you get used to your new found privilege* of being able to defend yourself it will be easier to carry at first it seems awkward and almost as if your doing something wrong carry often in places were practical and legal it will come natural soon.

* it is not a right if we need a licence!

runfiverun
10-24-2012, 05:46 PM
you'll know when you need it...

i can open carry or carry in my vehicle without a ccw,since i don't go to the mall i'm probably okay.

willie_pete
10-24-2012, 05:58 PM
I not only have one; I have taught about 400+ people so they can get theirs.

WP

Hardcast416taylor
10-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Yes, I have had a CCW permit for a few years and more. I liken having the permit to an old saying "Better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it".Robert

wcp4570
10-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Have had one since 1998.

wcp

imashooter2
10-24-2012, 06:09 PM
PA resident and a Utah non resident. I applied in PA the day after "shall issue" became law.

white eagle
10-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Once you get used to your new found privilege* of being able to defend yourself it will be easier to carry at first it seems awkward and almost as if your doing something wrong carry often in places were practical and legal it will come natural soon.

* it is not a right if we need a licence!
funny how that works [smilie=b:

Blacksmith
10-24-2012, 06:34 PM
I would if I could. The 4th Circuit Hearing orals for the Woollard case were today. Now a wait for the decision then it will be appealed to the supreme court and if they take the case I may get a chance at a CCW before I die in my "MAY" issue state. You see as the law is now we have to prove we have a "good and substantial reason" to get a license and almost no reason is good enough or substantial enough.

shooter93
10-24-2012, 06:37 PM
You've had a national carry permit since the writing of the 2nd. For some unkown reason the government and SCOTUS refuse to reconize the fact....(well, we do know the reason....control and fear). That being said I got the CCW here in pa. the day I got my first handgun a very long time ago.

Down South
10-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Had one for a number of years. Next renewal, I'll have to get a new picture taken. We can renew every other time here without having to get a new passport photo. The part that I don't understand, we have to take a new class every time.

Eddie2Gun
10-24-2012, 06:39 PM
:)Yes, I have a concealed carry license in the state of California. Have had it for the past 15 years. I happen to live way up north in a gun friendly county. The license is good anywhere in the state except in federal buildings and courthouses. I don't leave home without it..

ShooterAZ
10-24-2012, 06:55 PM
I no longer need to renew mine, anyone in Arizona who can legally purchase a firearm may carry concealed without a permit. Also, open carry is legal.

FISH4BUGS
10-24-2012, 07:05 PM
I live in New Hampshire, a very gun friendly state. I got my CCW when I first moved here and have had it ever since. Also Massachusetts (but you have to apply every year), Maine and trying RI (an impossible task it seems.)

slowlead
10-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Yes, Why not, In Pa if there is civil disorder and martial law is declared (rioting), the only persons allowed to carry weapons are ccw permit holders.
Open carry woud be forbidden. I have never needed it and hope i never will. However if some vicous punks try to attack my loved ones i can protect them.

27judge
10-24-2012, 09:14 PM
i have one for the state of md very hard to get.i also got a non resident for pa so i can carry in my surrounding states. i had a tough time at first i was always worred that my carry gun showed and everbody was looking for it .after a few carries that went away and now its there and i very rarly notice it . i carry a pm9 in a galco iwb holster dont even know its there tks ken

El Gato
10-24-2012, 09:33 PM
I live in NY and carry in the woods and when I travel in local cities...
I am closer to Vermont than NYC

boltons75
10-24-2012, 09:37 PM
I have mine because I had a situation where it would have helped. Now I carry a Michigan CPL, and do does my wife. We do live in flint, mi. unfortunately. The gun it's always with me now.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Frozone
10-24-2012, 09:38 PM
you left out - don't need one to carry.

JIMinPHX
10-24-2012, 09:49 PM
I've had one for 20+ years (since before it was fashionable). If you are going to have one, I'd recommend that you carry at least a few times per month, just to stay in practice. You don't want to start carrying the day that you realize you suddenly have an immediate need & then find out that it's cumbersome & you can't handle it fluidly. Dropping your carry piece out of a poorly fit holster is particularly embarrassing & can lead to a number of unpleasant experiences depending on your surroundings at the time. Try it at home first. Then maybe on a trip to Home Depot or the grocery store (assuming that they don't post no-carry) & then gradually expand your carry area to other places where you feel comfortable. At first, avoid carrying in places where you expect to engage in any kind of strenuous activities. Work up to that after you have the hang of it.

hiram1
10-24-2012, 09:54 PM
i have one and the swmbo has one the kido will have one next week

TXGunNut
10-24-2012, 10:03 PM
I got one of the first ones here in TX, had one ever since. After 25 yrs as a LEO you can bet I carry more than the license.

Charley
10-24-2012, 10:10 PM
The Mrs and I recieved ours in the mail almost a week before the law went into effect in Texas. Have carried ever since.

wallenba
10-24-2012, 11:26 PM
In Michigan we have a CPL, or concealed pistol license. That technicality keeps our concealed weapons limited to pistols, no knives etc..
Also, I don't carry 100% of the time.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-24-2012, 11:38 PM
yes , carry every day

alamogunr
10-24-2012, 11:54 PM
I've had one since 1995 or 1996. Back then we had to be bonded. I don't remember when that requirement was removed. I actually had two permits because the permit listed the handgun that you qualified with. I qualified with two.

mongo
10-25-2012, 12:32 AM
I had carried a pistol or had it next to me 24/7 for a lot of years. Upon retiring, I stopped carrying all the time, Had a hard time, felt naked..LOL.. That didnt last long, There was a robbery at a Drug store in my neighborhood where the perp exicuted 4 people. Back to carrying 24/7 no matter where I am. Carry extra ammo if going into NYC....LOL

nicholst55
10-25-2012, 12:43 AM
Although a CCW is not required in Arizona for concealed carry, I am currently waiting for mine to show up in the mail.

smoked turkey
10-25-2012, 12:44 AM
The wife and I both have CCW and have since MO became a right to carry state. That is a good law we can live with.

zxcvbob
10-25-2012, 12:51 AM
I have one. I carry on Sundays (wife finally noticed 2 weeks ago after church when I was changing my shirt) but not very often on other days.

Mooseman
10-25-2012, 01:22 AM
While us Alaskans don't need one now , I have one in case I travel to a CCW State that allows Alaskan permits , especially Florida !
I carry with 2 spare mags because a gun without ammo is not good to throw at someone.

220swiftfn
10-25-2012, 01:23 AM
I would if I could. The 4th Circuit Hearing orals for the Woollard case were today. Now a wait for the decision then it will be appealed to the supreme court and if they take the case I may get a chance at a CCW before I die in my "MAY" issue state. You see as the law is now we have to prove we have a "good and substantial reason" to get a license and almost no reason is good enough or substantial enough.

You should be able to present the evening news as "good and substantial reason"........

Dan

missionary5155
10-25-2012, 03:01 AM
Good morning
In Peru every handgun is issued with a CC. Why would anyone buy a handgun and not carry it for protection is the basic idea. Recreational shooting is not a common hobbie.
Then there is the great state of ILL.
Mike in ILL

bob208
10-25-2012, 05:12 AM
i have had mine for 35 years. did not carry much when i first got it. i guess it took getting used to because i came from a state that would not issue you one. then i started carring more and more. now with the way things are i will not leave home without it and extra ammo.

10-25-2012, 06:12 AM
Back in the day I carried condoms, even though most likely I wasn't going to get lucky. I carried them just in case. Now I carry my M&P Shield for the same reason, just in case.

boltons75
10-25-2012, 07:56 AM
Back in the day I carried condoms, even though most likely I wasn't going to get lucky. I carried them just in case. Now I carry my M&P Shield for the same reason, just in case.

This post should be on a t-shirt.......:D

boltons75
10-25-2012, 08:04 AM
Had one for a number of years. Next renewal, I'll have to get a new picture taken. We can renew every other time here without having to get a new passport photo. The part that I don't understand, we have to take a new class every time.

Most instructors in Michigan say you have to take a refresher course for renewal, to get the business. My wife's instructor gave out a book, and showed her that only reviewing the material was required.. My instructor showed a movie and wanted us to return in 5 years, hers gave her the book to study for renewal......

Ajax
10-25-2012, 08:17 AM
Me and the wife have had ours since I got out of the service. and we carry every where 2/7.

Andy

Boerrancher
10-25-2012, 08:30 AM
I don't have one but may get one in the coming year just because. MO is an open carry state and there is no requirement to have a CCW to have a piece stashed away in your vehicle. I make sure I don't go to places where I would feel it necessary to carry concealed.

Best wishes,

Joe

Jim
10-25-2012, 08:31 AM
Every time I put on another pair of pants, I put my holster on my belt. I get up in the morning, dress and holster my pistol. I carry it so often, many times I forget to take it out before I go in the Sheriff's office or post office. I get half way to the door, remember I'm carrying and have to go back to the truck to lock it up.

Living in a very agricultural/rural area, carrying a pistol is like carrying a knife. It's part of your every day dress.

Wis. Tom
10-25-2012, 08:47 AM
My wife and I both have CCW thanks to Walker last year, and we carry or at least have them in the vehicles, when leaving the farm. May never need them, but the insurance is there, if needed. I don't feel this world is getting any safer, and you never know any more, who you will even meet on the roads. Better to be safe, then dead.

DLCTEX
10-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Just renewed mine. The states have figured out that licensing of all sorts is a huge cash cow. The person that teaches the course pays a higher fee and I think it's yearly. The multiple licenses I need for my business multiplied by the number of businesses in the state explains the interest in licensing.

Bad Water Bill
10-25-2012, 10:04 AM
I have both a Pa and Utah CCW license. Unfortunately I live in Illinois so they are useless here and yes I am one of those 6 so far that do not carry.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-25-2012, 10:14 AM
you just never know when , you might walk in on someones domestic dispute , robbery , or drug deal.

be prepared , it isn't just for boy scouts

you don't have to carry a big gun , they make so many very good small guns now , unless your wardrobe is all spandex you can find a holster that will work for you to hide a LCP or similar

I carry a fire extinguisher in my truck also , i have never had a fire either

having the right tool can make all the difference

the majority of shootings seem to happen in places that prohibit the carry of guns , so avoid those places

Hamish
10-25-2012, 10:14 AM
The authorities of the state I live in do not think I have one, but I do have a license to CCW. God gave it to me.

For me, the question is whether I should willfully disobey God or the State, and day by day, it's getting harder to submit to earthly authority.

captain-03
10-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Everyday and "most" everywhere ...

Moonie
10-25-2012, 12:18 PM
You didn't include "Yes, I have a CCW and Open Carry everyday"

I have a CHP but OC 90% of the time. 2 of my sons also have their CHP.

MBTcustom
10-25-2012, 12:54 PM
I made the decision to get a CCW permit the day that a friend of mine was gunned down. He was a good christian kid, going to college and working the till at a gas station to help with tuition. He was known around as being a happy funny guy that was serious about his faith, looked down on no one, and would give you the shirt off his back.
One night he was working the gas station when two black kids walked in, pointed a gun at him, and demanded all the money out of the till.
He gave them what they wanted, and in his usual manner, was totally compliant. The two perpetrators took the money and started to leave, but the one with the gun stopped at the door, turned and shot my friend through the head, killing him instantly.
18 years old, and he never even had a chance.
I've seen folks who were convicted of abusing animals get more jail time than those two thugs.
I am very much the same as my friend. I try to do good to my fellow man, and I would rather swallow my pride than get into a phisical confrontation with another human being.
However, after my friend died I did some thinking, and I decided that goodness by itself is easily stamped out by evil people. All your good intentions of helping your fellow man are worthless, if you die like a pitiful runt before you ever get a chance to put them into action!
I hope I never find myself in a situation where another person thinks less of me than he does a turtle crossing the road. I carry a 1911 on my hip, and I will not hesitate to defend my life and that of my fellow man and I will give anyone who questions the value of human life a free ticket to discuss the error of their ways with our Creator in person.
If I had a time machine, the only place I would go is back to that gas station on that night, and God is my witness those two thugs would not make it out of there alive.
At the time, if I had been standing outside of my apartment when the shooting happened, I could have easily heard the shot that killed my friend. It was after all, only 100 yards or so from where I was sleeping while he died.

BruceB
10-25-2012, 01:22 PM
AMEN, goodsteel, AMEN in spades.

You make the case very profoundly. "Walk softly and carry a big stick" is more than just a saying!

For many years in Canada, I carried a handgun as and when I saw fit, WITHOUT a permit, and I obtained my Nevada permit just as soon as I could after establishing residency here.

The decision to SHOOT as needed was made long ago, and my reasoning closely parallels yours.
Thanks for posting your thinking in this matter.

David2011
10-25-2012, 03:34 PM
The first time I carried in public I felt like the whole world was watching me. That was several years ago and now I don't even think about it. SWMBO does ask me if I have it with me from time to time, though.

David

palmettosunshine
10-25-2012, 10:29 PM
"I make sure I don't go to places where I would feel it necessary to carry concealed."

I don't know where those places are so I carry 24/7. We don't get to choose where or when things go bad so I carry at all times.

MtGun44
10-25-2012, 10:45 PM
Going armed is like wearing a seatbelt. There is no possible way to know when or
where you will need it so you have to carry all the time or not at all.

Bill

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-25-2012, 11:14 PM
"I don't need a gun I live in a good neighborhood "

really , our imported crime drives 30 mile to not defecate in their own back yard , yours just needs to cross the 4 lane on the tax payer provided pedestrian bridge less than a mile walk

are you blind or just can't see

we live just far enough out that they think it is a good place to dump the bodies , a friend about 3 miles from here had a body dumped just a few hundred yards down the road from them sure it was a domestic ,but do you think that the second life sentence is something they are going to worry about if you see them dumping the first body.

mud lake
10-26-2012, 03:02 AM
I have carried a firearm, legally and illegally since I turned 23 and started travelling in some very dangerous places in this ol' world. Now, at the age of 76 here in Alaska we need no permit but like Mooseman I have one in case I travel down into the lower 48. The only time I did not carry illegally was in jurisdictions where the penalty was a felony conviction, otherwise I was willing to take a misdemeanor rap if necessary...but when you carry concealed properly there is little chance that you will be "made" by anyone. And better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

MBTcustom
10-26-2012, 06:50 AM
when you carry concealed properly there is little chance that you will be "made" by anyone. And better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.
This is very true. People are sheep. They see what they want to see.
I have a couple funny stories about this.
I was at walmart and I needed to get some bottled water off the top shelf. I reached for it and got it down, but I realized that my weapon had become visible as I had extended my arm (I carry at 4:00 IWB, and spare magazine at 9:00 with an untucked shirt to cover up the hardware). Well as I put the case of water in the cart, I noticed that a feller across the way had seen my gun. It was funny because he had this confused look on his face like he couldnt understand why I had left my black hood at the house. He thought about it for a second and then his eyes glazed over again and he went about his shopping probably telling himself that he was mistaken about what he had seen.[smilie=l:
Another time, my wife was using a but-pack to carry her weapon. She had the brillient notion to use that pack for things other than her gun. In fact, she was carrying her gum in the same pocket as her gun!
She was in walmart and had unzipped her pack to get her gum.........and forgot to zip it back shut again:shock:. So, she's pushing our one year old around wally world, getting groceries, and her gun is hanging right out there for everyone to see......but noone did see it. They glazed right over it, and if they had seen it, they would have talked themselves out of what they had seen because she just didn't fit the description of a threat. (believe me we had a come to Jesus meeting when she got home!)

Still, the more aware I become of the people around me, the more I realize that most folks go through life looking at the floor 3 feet in front of them, and if anything happens that makes them look around and observe their surroundings, then they are going to need 6 months of therapy to help them deal with the experience.[smilie=l:
I'll bet I could open carry and less than 10% of the folks I pass in the store or in town would even notice. Of those 10%, I;ll bet most of them would have talked themselves out of what they saw ten minutes later, and only one in a hundred would actually do something like call the police just to be sure.
The point is, that your best concealment is the way you carry yourself and how unthreatening you look. If you look like a responsible individual, then the people around you will take one glance and build a quick story in their minds about who you are and anything that doesn't fit their preconceived stereotype will be ignored. Thugs do the same thing BTW.
All of this makes it very easy to conceal a weapon and use it when the time comes.:drinks:

cajun shooter
10-26-2012, 07:06 AM
I have always had some sort of handgun or long gun close at hand my entire life.
I went into the military at age 18 during Vietnam and saw what people will do to their fellow man.
I started riding as a reserve sheriffs deputy in about 1974 and became full time in 1976.
I worked until politics got the better of me in 1991 and became a civilian once again. During my time as a cop, I lost two riding partners and a total of 7 very close friends. I worked for 7 years in Narcotics Division.
It had always been policy for someone with my time in to be given a retired commission so that they could continue to carry legal. My Sheriff and I did not see eye to eye and he refused my paper work.
I carried my gun anyway as I had made a lot of enemies during my tour of duty.I was not going to be killed because of a personal vendetta by a political person.
After he passed away and could no longer stop my paper work, I obtained a legal CCW and still carry as I always have.
Just remember one thing, you only have a split moment in time to make your decision and the courts will have years to decide if you were correct in using your deadly force.
It all goes back to the very old saying; I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six!
Just remember that you carry that weapon to not only protect yourself and your immediate family but any person who is in eminent danger of being killed or receiving great bodily harm.

Boerrancher
10-26-2012, 08:37 AM
Goodsteel Makes a very valid point about people not paying attention and stereotypes in his last post. Heck most LEO's go through life with a set of blinders on as well. As I have stated, I don't have a carry permit, but MO is an open carry state. I still pack a piece with me just about everywhere I go. I make sure that I fit what ever profile a legitimate person carrying would look like for any given area. If I am close to the city, I wear a nice pair of slacks, and a nice shirt and maybe a sport coat. I keep neatly groomed, and if my weapon is seen, people think nothing of it, as I maintain a strong military bearing and along with my appearance folks assume that I am either LEO or Security, as I maintain a air of professionalism. If I am in the local wal-mart it doesn't matter how I am dressed because most folks in town know me anyway, and since 99% or more of the people are not observant it doesn't matter any way. I have a sub compact, 11 shot, 45acp, that fits nicely into a front pants pocket and just disappears. I keep it in my right pocket and nothing else goes in there with it. No one ever pays attention as what part of it is visible looks like the corner of a key fob or cell phone.

Best wishes,

Joe

snuffy
10-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Once we got rid of chrome dome Doyle, Scott Walker wasted no time signing a CCW law. Along with that came a castle doctrine!:grin:

I applied the day after it became possible, waited 6 weeks for it to arrive. I'm trying to get into a habit of carrying every day, sometimes I just forget. My Ruger LC-9 fits very comfortably into my right pants pocket.

My son waited a couple of weeks to apply so his permit number is higher than mine.

I posted a question here about 6 months back about Memphis Tenn, as to what kind of city it is. Concerning crime and general info. Well, he's now a resident there, but one fly in the ointment is his Wisconsin CCW does NOT transfer to Tennessee. He has to take the class, then apply for a new one.

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=149861

Bottom line is he feels he cannot carry with his WI. CCW, so he's unprotected.

Getting settled, a new job, new surroundings, makes it hard to locate a class and get-'er-done. But he will do it. So far, he really likes Memphis, says the people go out of their way to be helpful and are friendly. He landed a job at a children's hospital in the ER. So no late night ambulance calls to bad parts of town.:grin:

On another note, he's having a difficult time finding a place to shoot. There's one real nice club close by, but the fees are also real nice/high. IF he was going to stay there,(he's coming back to WI. next September), he would join, the up-front fee is 450 bucks!

Bad Water Bill
10-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Have him check with Tenn Dept of Natural Resources.

Of course Illinois has 0 but I shoot at Indiana D N R ranges for FREE.

Jeff82
10-26-2012, 11:34 AM
I had not idea so many people CCW. Curiosity forces me to create another post: What do you carry, and what's your Rig.

pdawg_shooter
10-26-2012, 11:48 AM
I carry whenever I feel the need, and have for the last 45 years. No, I do not have a "permit". I refuse to pay the state to exercise my Second Amendment Rights.

Kraschenbirn
10-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Being a resident of the 'Great State of Corruption', I can't legally carry anywhere in Illinois except private property (with the owner's consent) or my place of business but I maintain a Utah non-resident permit for when we travel. The wife and I still do a lot back-country camping/hiking/canoeing in states more amenable to firearms and, as we all know, out there in the boondocks, just a little bit of preparedness can preclude a whole load of grief.

Bill

mstarling
10-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Have had a permit since 1987 ... before the "must issue" went into effect. Original had the stipulation "dangerous and deadly weapon." Could carry anything then. Now only a handgun.

Carry in summer is an HK P7M8 in 9mm using a Milt Sparks Summer Special. In the winter, either some form of 1911 in 45 ACP or a SIG P220 Compact also in 45 ACP. Summer Special again or a Blackhawk CQC.

When hunting I carry a Lew Horton special edition Smith & Wesson M657 3" roundbutt in 41 Rem Mag.

soli
10-26-2012, 11:28 PM
I got mine when Florida started the program.

fcvan
10-27-2012, 12:27 AM
Earned a badge in '84 and earned a retired badge last December. Thanks to HR218 retired LEOs can carry nationwide. In California where I worked, it is a 'may issue' state. Most of my adult life in CA I lived in counties where permits were issued to all qualified applicants and not just reserved for cronies.

I've only needed the gun on 2 occasions and did not need to fire in either event. The 4 on 1 scenario was downtown San Francisco after being stalked for about 4 blocks. It's amazing how a 1911 can end any misunderstanding with regard to their intentions or mine.

Like one of the posters above I tool up when getting dressed. I have lots of very nice firearms but tended to carry a 1911 until my wife bought me a Glock 22C. For the last couple years, the wife has been buying me firearms for our anniversary. I (of course) must show appreciation by making the latest gift the new favorite carry weapon. The truth is she has bought me some really nice pistols and it makes it hard to decide which one to pick for the day. Frank

Adam10mm
10-27-2012, 01:07 AM
If my pants are on, I'm armed. If where I am is legal to carry, I'm armed. I also carry in my house.

waksupi
10-27-2012, 01:33 AM
I got my first one in 1973. Mainly for carrying on the trap line at that time. Carry daily.

bearcove
10-27-2012, 11:21 PM
NO, but don't need in AK but plan on getting for down "here".

jp99
10-28-2012, 09:17 AM
Had mine since I was 18, used to carry a Walther P99 and for the past couple years its been either a J-Frame or a HK P7.

Regards,

JP99

jlm223
10-28-2012, 10:38 AM
I got my life time.

jcwit
11-04-2012, 12:27 AM
Yes, for 20+ years now, would get my lifetime but no longer cost effective.

Actually here in Indiana it a license to carry, concealed or open. Makes no difference.

And do I carry? Of course!

joec
11-04-2012, 10:15 AM
I've carried with and without permits for 46 years now even before a license required. I've also carried in a number of countries where if caught could get one to vanish. Not such a big deal in the USA though to get a license in some places others not so easy.

GT27
11-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Just curious. I have one, but have no idea when I'd ever use it.

Jeff,the best answer I can give you on your statement for having a CCW permit and carrying is: "its better to have it and not need it,than need it and not have it"! I practice with it 2 times a week,for some that don't practice,it could be more of a liability than not,it has saved my life twice...GT27

Bullet Caster
11-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Yes, I have my CC permit. I carry every day and hope I never have to shoot anyone again. Never leave home without it. BC

makicjf
11-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Yes, I have a chl. If I am awake, I am armed and carrying.(unless its a proscribed area). Even then, the weapon is only as far away as my locked vehicle. My home was robbed when we were not home, then 2 months later my shop trailer was stolen while we were home. I chased the trailer down the road: the police recovered it. I'll carry a 4 5/8 blackhawk, the birdshead vaquero or the officers model 1911. I have mernickles for all 3. I am weaning myself away from the very familair single actions ( cowboy shooting) and moving towards the better "combat" gun of the 1911. I am just quicker annd more accurate with the first shot with the revolvers due to practice. I carry extra ammo in tuff strips for the revolvers and several magazines for the 1911. I'll always have my 30/30 loaded and a butt stock full, or the rossi carbine in 45 colt hidden on the back seat as well. Great medicine for the wayward feral hog... or whatever else arises. I take protecting myself, my family and any other human being very seriously. Wolves are among us, be prepared, be aware and do not hesitate when the time comes.
JMO,
Jason

MBTcustom
11-06-2012, 11:22 AM
No wonder we all get along so well here. 85% of the members are packing heat!
An armed society is a polite society.

6bg6ga
11-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Yes I have one and I carry when I can

wolf3006
11-08-2012, 07:16 AM
Yes ,so long my model 49 smith has no blue left on it.

captaint
11-08-2012, 08:49 AM
While I have had a carry license for 30 years, I have rarely actually carried a piece. I used to keep the Walther in my truck. Had to be careful not to go over to Jersey, though. That would have been a year in jail, no questions asked....Shameful.. enjoy Mike

TCLouis
11-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Bad Water Bill and Snuffy

HCP is issued by Department of Safety in Tennessee.

Tell him to get in any class and get it done. The wait for the permit varies from time to time.

Local school system is a good place to get fingerprints done as they are done electronically.

Memphis would be a good place to always carry.

Contrary to what I have read in the posts here, i do not think there is a "safe" place any more. Many are just safer than others, but bad guys are spreading out. It is the incumbent for all citizens to fulfill their duty to society to stop these bad guys chance for recidivism one well placed shot or magazine or cylinder full at a time.

For any of us unfortunate to have to use the firearm we might carry I hope the aim is true and the court date nonexistent.

Crawdaddy
11-09-2012, 04:46 PM
I have had them before in some of the states I lived in. No need for one now. I live in NM which is an open carry state. I can carry one strapped to my side anywhere someone can carry concealed.

Charlie Two Tracks
12-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Well........... I live in Illinois and in the next 6 months we will see what kind of CC law we get. Personally, I won't be satisfied even if it is a "shall issue" law. I honestly believe that " shall not be infringed" means that I don't need to have a special card to carry. I don't need to have a certain amount of money to pay for my card to be able to carry. The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed means.......... the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Seems pretty straight forward to me. Keep the fight up until there is no " card" needed.

dragon813gt
12-14-2012, 09:27 AM
I have one as well. I find myself carrying more often with every passing day. I'm not allowed to carry in my work vehicle but I bought a bag for just this purpose. It doesn't look like there would be a pistol in it and it holds some essentials. A win win for me :)

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

boltons75
12-14-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm all ready to meet the requirements for the newly expanded Michigan ccw laws. I'll be taking the required class as soon as the gov signs it in.
http://times247.com/articles/mich-gun-law-expands-areas-citizens-can-carry.mobile

Sent from my Samsung, (Apples are meant to be eaten), Galaxy S3...

olaf455
12-14-2012, 11:52 AM
I am licensed. Assembling funds to purchase a semi auto 9mm that fits in my pocket...
However, this time of year in northwestern Wisconsin a shoulder rig works quite well...

Burr!

Sent from a cold damp basement near you.

AviatorTroy
12-15-2012, 02:12 AM
I have an Ohio and a Florida. More importantly, so does my wife. I am gone a lot, and she is home alone probably 8-10 nights a month. But I don't worry, between her and the dogs I feel sorry for anyone who makes the mistake of trying to cause her problems.

marlin39a
12-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Az no longer requires one to carry concealed. I maintain mine still. I worked hard all my life to stay qualified, and will to the end.

double8
12-15-2012, 05:47 PM
Got mine as soon as I left Taxachusetts and settled in Utah, and yes, I do carry.

nhrifle
12-16-2012, 01:49 AM
I have had one for the last four years and just had to renew mine. Only $10 to renew here in NH. I carry a weapon at all times except at work where it will get me fired if discovered.

And while I do carry, I hope and pray that I will never ever have cause to use it. Please everyone remember that your first action should be to deescalate the situation and that deadly force is a last resort. It is final. But if it is the only option to save lives, do not hesitate.

Rik
12-16-2012, 07:46 PM
have had one for 20+ years. no hassle in Alabama.

762sultan
12-18-2012, 02:06 PM
I was 18 in 1968 and had a permit. When the 68 gun control act was passed I could not carry until the age of 21. I had a High Standard target pistol that stayed at home in a drawer until I was 21. At that time I made up my mind to do whatever it took to always maintain a clean record and qualify for a permit. I have had a CCW for about the last 25 years and carry a gun quite frequently and have never needed it, but I have a fire extinguisher and I have not used it either. But I don't plan of getting rid of either one any time soon.

boltons75
12-18-2012, 11:12 PM
I have had a CCW for about the last 25 years and carry a gun quite frequently and have never needed it, but I have a fire extinguisher and I have not used it either. But I don't plan of getting rid of either one any time soon.

I like the way you put that......

MtGun44
12-19-2012, 12:38 AM
Put out two flash fires with my fire extinguishers. Hope to avoid the same thing
with the 1911, but ready to deal with it if no other choices.

Bill

H.Callahan
12-19-2012, 12:00 PM
I am another from the PR of Illinois. I had high hopes that we were going to get concealed carry as a Federal court struck down Illinois universal no concealed carry law and gave the legislature 180 days to formulate a CC law. We were looking good for a reasonable law -- and then Connecticut. Now I think we will probably get as little as can be done to satisfy the court (may issue) and probably rife with exceptions that will exclude most places that anyone would want to go anyway. The sad part is that I was only a little shy of having 10 years in law enforcement needed to qualify for the nationwide rule that would allow me to carry anywhere.

Lloyd Smale
12-19-2012, 12:05 PM
for now anyway. dont know how long it will last in the comunist state of michigan though

farmall666
12-19-2012, 01:15 PM
don' t right now, but both me and my wife will be taking our course and getting our applications in very soon before CT takes that right away from us.

Ozarklongshot
12-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Got my drivers license at 14 and my Father made sure I had my 1911 with me from day one. At 19 I lived to see another sunrise. I have a ccw in Ar (in the first 100) For the life of me I cannot understand having the ability to carry and not doing it. Do you for one moment think that those people in the movie theater in aurora thought they were in a dangerous place? Do you think those people in the luby's in Texas thought they were in compromised setting? It's never a dangerous place to be till it is. Carried 1911's for years and like Goodsteel said, people aren't looking for your printed gun. They have no idea what is around them. I now carry a sig p-220 .45 or a sig 226 in 40. Just got back from a long trip down to south texas and always had one on and a second in the truck with an evil rifle and spare mags under the back seat. I might die but it won't be for lack of shootin back. Nearly 37 years and I've always had one on or very near by. These are dark days we're living in. Sell your coat and buy a sword...

I should have my CCW instructor first of the year. If the state will get off its dead...

Wilson
12-20-2012, 05:39 PM
I've been a CHP instructor for the last 10 years and I carry a Glock 19 every day. My number one mission is to provide non-shooters with excellent gun safety education and marksmanship training. Toward that end I routinely run free classes for college students. It's been a very good way to change minds. We also run junior shooter classes which have been very rewarding.

nhrifle
12-21-2012, 10:50 AM
Good post Wilson, and I thank you for your efforts. We need to get the word out and shed as much positive light on our shooting sport and right to carry as possible. There are many uneducated people out there who get all their information from the leftist media, and we all have seen how the "gun culture" is portrayed in the news. Any time I even get a hint that someone is curious about firearms and shooting, I take them out and show them how much fun we all have. As a range officer I spend the better part of 1/2 hr going over safe handling, muzzle control, and general safety rules. Most leave telling me they are ready to buy their first gun. A couple even told me guns and shooters were nothing like we had been reported on the nightly "news".

High Lord Gomer
12-21-2012, 12:00 PM
Yes and yes. SC and non-resident NH.

historicfirearms
12-21-2012, 08:51 PM
I've had a ccw since 2001 when Michigan became shall issue. There is rarely a time when I leave the house without a side arm now.

bowfishn
12-21-2012, 11:33 PM
In the State of Vermont were I have lived all my life we have always been able to Carry, Concealed or otherwise. We do not need a Permit we just need to be able to legally own, if you can legally buy from a dealer you can carry. I have been thinking of applying for a non res New Hampshire permit for when I hunt in New Hampshire.

xrae21
12-22-2012, 02:22 AM
I don't have my ccw and really don't plan on getting one either. The problem isn't with the ccw although personally I think you should be able to wear a gun on your hip if you want to. The problem is most of the places I go on a daily basis I'm not allowed to carry the darn thing. Can't wear to work, gas station, Wal-Mart or any store that sells any type of alcohol, can't wear it in the local mall or concert/sports venues. Odds are if I ever need my pistol it would be on the way to or from my vehicle at one of these places. Which I wouldn’t have it on me because you can’t wear it in. Ccw laws are toothless so for me it’s like trying sip water with a fork.

Ozarklongshot
12-23-2012, 01:46 AM
In the State of Vermont were I have lived all my life we have always been able to Carry, Concealed or otherwise. We do not need a Permit we just need to be able to legally own, if you can legally buy from a dealer you can carry. I have been thinking of applying for a non res New Hampshire permit for when I hunt in New Hampshire.

Edit for brain fade

High Lord Gomer
12-23-2012, 06:46 PM
I don't have my ccw and really don't plan on getting one either. The problem isn't with the ccw although personally I think you should be able to wear a gun on your hip if you want to. The problem is most of the places I go on a daily basis I'm not allowed to carry the darn thing. Can't wear to work, gas station, Wal-Mart or any store that sells any type of alcohol, can't wear it in the local mall or concert/sports venues. Odds are if I ever need my pistol it would be on the way to or from my vehicle at one of these places. Which I wouldn’t have it on me because you can’t wear it in. Ccw laws are toothless so for me it’s like trying sip water with a fork.
That is odd because I thought most states only prohibited carrying in places that sell alcohol for consumption on premises.

Bad Water Bill
12-23-2012, 07:31 PM
xrae21

If you think you have it rough come over to Illinois. And be sure to visit the city RULED by a ballerina.

With over 600 murders last year using handguns he is on a rampage about assault weapons what ever that means. There were 5 people killed last year counting ALL types of rifles AND shotguns. Figures do not seem to be available for deaths by knives scissors ball bats etc. Wonder why.

But then he is B H Os hand picked mayor so what do you expect.

If you do not like the laws concerning CCW in your state stand up and protest. But be glad some folks in your state took the time and effort to get you some CCW laws passed.

The Black Pearl
12-24-2012, 12:40 AM
Northern Michigan here but grew up in Detroit got my CPL and don't leave home with out it!!

Ozarklongshot
12-24-2012, 10:26 PM

Now that I'm on the right post. What state do you live in. I can carry in any wal-mart or liquor store or gas station. Can't drink and carry but AR has very specific solutions should you find yourself at applebys and have a beer.

Light attack
12-25-2012, 09:42 AM
Both SWMBO and I have CCW. As do my four kids (youngest 26 ) Thanks for the reminder. Need to renew ours next month.