PDA

View Full Version : My Mosin Nagant, the way I like it

Fly
10-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Well my plan was to cut this 91/30 down to a carbine.I waited till the scope came in, to see
how well it would shoot.Man this thing is a tack driver.I,m no Bubba when it comes to old
military rifles.But by a purest I guess I kinda did.

The stock on this ole girl is a laminated stock.It had that old shelac the Russians always
used & I hate that.So I stripped it & used pine tar as the Finns did.Laminate stocks don't
come out as pretty as the plain stocks, but I did not care.

Remember these are military rifles & made to be out in the elements.I also used my homemade
wax 1/3 bees wax 1/3 BLO 1/3 Turintine.I also blued the bolt, for I think it makes them
look nasty.I did this ole battle weapon as I think it should look.But thats just me.

BEFORE http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i384/Fly61/DSCN0023.jpg

AFTER http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i384/Fly61/DSCN0024.jpg

Fly

tomme boy
10-24-2012, 05:52 PM
What scope mount is that?

legend
10-24-2012, 07:31 PM
looks like a good job to me .

Fly
10-24-2012, 07:51 PM
http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Airgun-Profile-Integral-1-Inch/dp/B002TUSJRK/ref=sr_1_21?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1351124173&sr=1-21&keywords=accushot+rings

Tommy boy I can't say enough about how good this mount is.
I have been thinking about doing something with this gun for
some time.It was the first Mosin Nagant I ever owned.I never
shot it all that much.

I then bought a M 44 carbine & then a Finn Mosin Nagant & for
got about this one for a while.But over the last year been thinking about scoping
this rifle.I did research, after research on mounts for these ole guys .This
is the one I came up with.http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Airgun-Profile-Integral-1-Inch/dp/B002TUSJRK/ref=sr_1_21?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1351124173&sr=1-21&keywords=accushot+rings
You ask how can they sell a great mount for that price.Well being a retired tool
& die maker, they can't here in the USA.I truly hate saying that.But this mount
is totally cnc machined Billet AL.It is ROCK SOLID & for $13 can not be beat for
a scout mount.The great thing is the rifle can be changed back to orginial if you
ever wanted to.

Hope this helped Fly

Tao77
11-01-2012, 08:05 AM
like the same. 4x32 pistol scope, rear sight on set screws when I need it.
I use 11mm. dovetail base scope rings.

RU shooter
11-01-2012, 06:29 PM
You don't see them often but the blued bolts did/ do exist from the refurb arsenals and IMO they look good . There's a 91/30 hanging in the Great War museum in Kiev that has a blued bolt on it that I took a picture of ,don't get too much more original than that .

Fly
11-02-2012, 09:20 AM
You don't see them often but the blued bolts did/ do exist from the refurb arsenals and IMO they look good . There's a 91/30 hanging in the Great War museum in Kiev that has a blued bolt on it that I took a picture of ,don't get too much more original than that .

I did not know that.Thank you so much for the info, WOW

Fly:coffee:

Lucky Joe
11-02-2012, 10:24 AM
I would like to know how well that scope mount holds up. That is a very good job and good looking also.

Fly
11-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Lucky Joe, I have shot over 100 rounds threw this old girl, & she's not moved
a bit & won't. I would NEVER blow smoke up your a$$.I care not what anyone
buys, for I have nothing in this for me.Just trying to help!

Fly

catmandu
11-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Very nice! All prettied up, she looks like family now. A real keeper.

How do you finish with pine tar? Please elaborate.
I know about the 1/3 mix. It works real good.

Paul in WNY

Fly
11-03-2012, 10:00 AM
I mix 1/2 Turps & pine tar.I heat the wood & apply.I then go back over it
with my heat gun till it just bubbles (no smoke).Let her sit a few days &
do it again till it's as dark as you like.Then after another week you can wax it.

Water just beads off pine tar finishes.

Fly

Fly
11-04-2012, 04:45 PM
One other thing that's a $50 NcSTAR 2x7x32 scope.This thing is really a very
nice scope for the money.It's very clear & I really have no complaints.

Hope this helps Fly

Gliden07
11-05-2012, 12:56 AM
One other thing that's a $50 NcSTAR 2x7x32 scope.This thing is really a very
nice scope for the money.It's very clear & I really have no complaints.

Hope this helps Fly

I have the same scope. Still trying to get to Range! I mounted mine on Brass Stacker mount, the mount seems pretty solid. I chose this mount over the type of mount shown only so I could use the Regular sights if I choose or need to? If I was to remove the stock sights I think I would have used the scope rings right on the Dovetail.

Fly
11-05-2012, 10:24 AM
I have the same scope. Still trying to get to Range! I mounted mine on Brass Stacker mount, the mount seems pretty solid. I chose this mount over the type of mount shown only so I could use the Regular sights if I choose or need to? If I was to remove the stock sights I think I would have used the scope rings right on the Dovetail.

Ya I almost bought the Brass Stacker, but the $60 vs $13 was my
deciding factor.
Fly:-P

Gliden07
11-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Ya I almost bought the Brass Stacker, but the $60 vs $13 was my
deciding factor.
Fly:-P

You like the NC Star Scope though? I'm glad to hear that, it got a lot of good reviews. But for the price I was nervous I'd end up with a ***!! LOL!!

Fly
11-05-2012, 07:49 PM
You like the NC Star Scope though? I'm glad to hear that, it got a lot of good reviews. But for the price I was nervous I'd end up with a ***!! LOL!!

Ya, I hear you, & I read those reviews also.But I remember a guy saying,
people very rarley post good reviews unless there jumping over backwords,
for it is most just the pissed off ones,(smile).

Well like you $50, hell try it.So far so good.We shall see.

Fly:D