PDA

View Full Version : crooked boolits

2 guns
10-24-2012, 01:15 PM
just tried loading my first 9mm.using cast 125 grainers.they are seating crooked.help!

wallenba
10-24-2012, 01:25 PM
Most likey you are in need of a Lyman 'M' die. It will ensure that the boolit is concentric with the case when the seater begins pushing it down.
Also, check that your seater is compatable with the boolits meplat.

Read the customer reviews at Midway.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/600695/lyman-neck-expander-m-die-9mm-380-acp-38-super

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/dies/pistol-die-details.php?brand=1&cartridge=5&die=19

P.S. If you get one of these, use a little loctite on the expander plug threads. They have a tendancy to unscrew while being used, changing your set depth. Then you will over flare the mouth.

wv109323
10-24-2012, 03:52 PM
The other thing that helps is to have a bullet seating stem that matches the profile of the bullet that you are seating. You may be able to modify your existing bullet seating stem to match the bullet profile by drilling and filing. Most die sets come with a SWC and a Round nose seating stem.
The other thing that may help is too align the bullet as closely as possible to the axis of the seating. This can be assisted if you bell the mouth of the case enough to align the bullet within the "belled" area.

runfiverun
10-24-2012, 04:17 PM
The other thing that may help is too align the bullet as closely as possible to the axis of the seating. This can be assisted if you bell the mouth of the case enough to align the bullet within the "belled" area.

especially make sure you aren't using the flat seater with round nose boolits.

OnHoPr
10-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Lee also makes a universal mouth flaring die.

stubshaft
10-24-2012, 10:44 PM
Lee also makes a universal mouth flaring die.

And that is all it does, flare the case mouth. The Lyman "M" die (or RCBS version) also slightly expands the case walls and squares them up. If the case is sized too small, seating a boolit with only a flare may cause the case to size the boolit down.

beagle
10-24-2012, 10:59 PM
Yep! A very slightly flared case mouth and a proper fitting seating screw are essential for good loads. The first response hit the nail right on the head./beagle

John Boy
10-24-2012, 11:21 PM
* M Die or Lee Universal Expanders for bell and neck tension so bullet base sets in the case. Track of the Wolf also sells expander plugs that will bell the case also. Used in the Lee Expansion Die. You want a uniform neck tension of 0.001 to 0.002
* Seating Plug Modification: Fill the plug hole with Hot Glue and while warm, twist the nose of your bullet in the glue till it hardens - Perfect Seating Plug
* Seating: Pull the press lever half way - turn the case in the shell hold 180 degrees - complete seating the bullet

Do these and you'll never have a bullet seated crooked - non concentric

2 guns
10-25-2012, 07:08 PM
thanks for the advise guys.didnt know they made such an animal,just the regular expander.checked the reviews on the m die and ill order one soon.id thought about micro bed for the seater die but the glue idea sure seems easier and quicker.ive rotated my cases before but i had one of those senior moments and plumb forgot to try it!

popper
10-25-2012, 07:43 PM
I've turned 90 which usually works. Sometimes it's required even when using the M die. I talked to a fellow shooting long, heavy flat nosed 9mm. Looked sweet and shot real well. If I reloaded 9mm that is what I'd use - with a flat seater plug. I haven't used the hot-glue trick but it seems like it wouldn't last long.

44man
10-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Speed is also important. My friend came to shoot and I seen his boolits were seated crooked with a bulge on one side of the brass. I showed him how to set the boolit straight and ease it into the case, his problem went away.
He was working the press handle like lightning.