PDA

View Full Version : Winter is coming

starmac
10-23-2012, 01:28 PM
It won't be long now. This is the first morning it dipped below zero, is everybody ready. Folks around here is anxiously waiting on the river to stiffen up, so that they can get to the winter moose hunting grounds. lol

dragon813gt
10-23-2012, 01:40 PM
It's in the mid 60s in SE PA and it will be for the rest of the week. It barely feels like fall let alone winter. I'm glad because I really hate sitting in my stand when it's below freezing and overcast.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Jim Flinchbaugh
10-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Woke up to 2-3 inches of fresh snow here this morning. Winter is here!

Moondawg
10-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Never tell it down here. Highs are still in the high 80s to low 90s. Night time lows are mid-70s. Maybe by mid November we will start to feel a touch of fall in the air, and will be able to turn the AC off. Have to wait and see. I doubt that I will have to shovel any snow this winter.

Philngruvy
10-23-2012, 01:49 PM
We have had several nights in the low to mid 30s. Right now it is almost 70 at 1:45 in the afternoon. I would be happy if it stayed this way right on up to Thanksgiving.

FISH4BUGS
10-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Temps average in the high 30's low 40's at night, 60's during the day. One hard frost a week back killed off the garden and most of the bugs.
Leaves are falling, colors are fabulous on the trees, and fall is definitely here! Winter is right behind it.
Than's what I love about New England. We get all 5 seasons.....fall winter, mud, spring and summer.

Beerd
10-23-2012, 02:07 PM
....... We get all 5 seasons.....fall winter, mud, spring and summer.

You don't have "Construction Season"? Seems like the highways are always being torn up around here.

Wally
10-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Temps average in the high 30's low 40's at night, 60's during the day. One hard frost a week back killed off the garden and most of the bugs.
Leaves are falling, colors are fabulous on the trees, and fall is definitely here! Winter is right behind it.
Than's what I love about New England. We get all 5 seasons.....fall winter, mud, spring and summer.

I am from the Chicago area---my wife would like to see the fall foliage in New England next year---what area would be best to do so and what is typically the best time to see them? No offense to you...typically the general feeling is that New Englanders are a bit snobby... I have no experience one way or another..if you'd be kind enough to comment...please?

Wayne Smith
10-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Right now from Central Vermont through New Hampshire through Central Maine. Wait a week to visit the lower parts of the states or Down East Maine. We will be getting some color in the Blue Ridge Parkway in the next couple of weeks if you are interested in coming further south. In New Hampshire the Lake Region is beautiful as is most anywhere in Baxter State Park in Maine or the Rangely Lakes area as well. Beautiful places and good fishing to boot.

waksupi
10-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Spring is on Wednesday, 20 March 2013

147 days, 4 hours remain till

First Day Of Spring

runfiverun
10-23-2012, 04:08 PM
you could come here and look at the leaves.
bring a shovel,, they are buried under a couple of inches of snow.

Love Life
10-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Been below freezing here in the mornings for about a week or more. We just got our first snow to stick at 8,000 ft and above, and are getting flurries at 7500 feet. Hopefully winter hurries up. I love winter. People here claim it gets super cold. I tell them to spend a few winters in the arctic north known as Minnesota before the complain to much.

FISH4BUGS
10-23-2012, 06:28 PM
I am from the Chicago area---my wife would like to see the fall foliage in New England next year---what area would be best to do so and what is typically the best time to see them? No offense to you...typically the general feeling is that New Englanders are a bit snobby... I have no experience one way or another..if you'd be kind enough to comment...please?

I don't seem to notice the snobs. I think they exist everywhere. Most New Englanders are pretty nice people. I was raised all over the world (US Army - Father 25 yr full bird colonel) so I get along with all kinds of people.....except liberal activists. New England is beautiful in the fall (as well as all other times) but the fall is simply spectacular.
I can't tell you exactly where to go or when. There are many variables in when the colors arrive but typically they start in the North Country around late September or October 1 and work their way south. Rain, wind, dry summer, etc. all have an effect. It helps to be flexible in your schedule for it can be two weeks one way or the other.
We are actually a little past peak right now. The State of NH and Vermont (and many others) maintain web sites with color charts throughout the fall season.
Check this one out: http://www.yankeefoliage.com/new-england-foliage-maps/
You might google Fall Foliage New Hampshire or fall foliage Vermont.
There are drives listed, color charts and more stuff than you can imagine.
Come on down! Start planning now!

Junior1942
10-23-2012, 07:07 PM
It's almost dark, and I'm running the air conditioner :-( Come on, ol' man winter!

BruceB
10-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Our place near Winnemucca NV is at 4200' ASL. This morning, we had about 4-5 inches of white stuff; all gone by noon.

However, the peaks within about three miles reach 10,000'ASL, and they still have snow on the flanks beginning at around 5,000'.....we can SEE winter coming.

Love Life
10-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Our place near Winnemucca NV is at 4200' ASL. This morning, we had about 4-5 inches of white stuff; all gone by noon.

However, the peaks within about three miles reach 10,000'ASL, and they still have snow on the flanks beginning at around 5,000'.....we can SEE winter coming.

Yesireee we can. I am down here in Smith valley on the north east side of Lake Topaz. Winter in the Sierras and this area is simply stunning. Right now all the aspens are turning and it looks like patches of the mountains are on fire. Not to be confused with the rest of the mountains around here that actually have been on fire this summer.

Time to break out the skis and snow shoes and travel in style. Of course I said the same thing last year and the winter was a bust...

Mike in TX
10-24-2012, 01:18 AM
Exactly why I love northern New England and miss it. Here in SA,TX it will be in the high 80's today

Mike B

41 mag fan
10-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Fall started the 1st week of Sept here, Next week or week after I'll be able to feel winter setting in.

Of course, I'm talking about underground. People think i'm nuts, but the ground starts changing before it changes on the surface.
About the 1st week of Sept, you can feel the air getting cooler in the mine, and in Feb you can feel the air starts warming up. It's a slow process, and for the most part most don't notice it, but you can tell it, in the parts of the mine that doesn't have a high volume or velocity of air moving thru it.

Ed Barrett
10-24-2012, 02:18 PM
It's 80 degrees in the Ozarks today. had to AC on last couple of days. But winter is coming, tilled up the garden Monday and planted a crop of annual rye grass in it for winter.

waksupi
10-24-2012, 04:18 PM
A bit of snow in the mountains here. Went hunting this morning, and when I came home, had bear tracks about 15 feet from my deck! Guess I left home too early.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/waksupi/bear001-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/waksupi/bear003-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/waksupi/bear002.jpg

Wally
10-25-2012, 02:24 PM
I don't seem to notice the snobs. I think they exist everywhere. Most New Englanders are pretty nice people. I was raised all over the world (US Army - Father 25 yr full bird colonel) so I get along with all kinds of people.....except liberal activists. New England is beautiful in the fall (as well as all other times) but the fall is simply spectacular.
I can't tell you exactly where to go or when. There are many variables in when the colors arrive but typically they start in the North Country around late September or October 1 and work their way south. Rain, wind, dry summer, etc. all have an effect. It helps to be flexible in your schedule for it can be two weeks one way or the other.
We are actually a little past peak right now. The State of NH and Vermont (and many others) maintain web sites with color charts throughout the fall season.
Check this one out: http://www.yankeefoliage.com/new-england-foliage-maps/
You might google Fall Foliage New Hampshire or fall foliage Vermont.
There are drives listed, color charts and more stuff than you can imagine.
Come on down! Start planning now!

Thank you---I will give the info to my wife to plan a trip next year...