PDA

View Full Version : Soft lead in the mix

Rooster931
10-23-2012, 09:21 AM
I usually cast with wheel weights or reclaimed bullets. I have just come into a batch of free soft pure lead. With one pound ingots could I drop a few or one ingots of soft into a 20 pound pot and still get reliable bullets?

williamwaco
10-23-2012, 09:34 AM
Yes.

I would not hesitate to add as much as 25% pure lead to wheel weights.
That would get you to around BNH 8 or 9

A little tin would improve the casting qualities ( but would nave little effect on the hardness ) A little = 1 to 2 ounces in a 20 pound pot about 3/4 full.

Three44s
10-23-2012, 11:43 AM
When you are in doubt about an alloy such as this .......... it does not hurt to try a truely small run and see for yourself either. .......... twenty pounds is quite a bit in that case.

But I concur that soft lead can be mixed in WW alloy to a substantial percentage .......... only you can tell how much you can get away with in your guns, in particular with revolvers with appropriate loads and a good fitament and with larger bored slow rifle rounds.

Three 44s

runfiverun
10-23-2012, 01:10 PM
i'd just empty my pot of alloy and melt the new stuff in it.
it'll either be good lead or it won't you'll know right off and can then mix it in, or sluff it off to the scrapper and be done with it.
a little time to save a lot of aggravation later.

rexherring
10-23-2012, 06:14 PM
I've shot quite a few WW/lead mixed equal parts for my .45 ACP and .38 special at lower speeds 800-900 fps with no leading problems if sized right and good lube.

captaint
10-24-2012, 12:21 PM
What you are asking is why it is always better to mix in small batches. 50/50 WW & Pb is a very popular mix for handgun boolits. I use it all the time, unless I'm needing higher velocity boolits. Then we just go with straight WW's. enjoy Mike