PDA

View Full Version : primer choices

1fast8
10-22-2012, 10:23 PM
I am new here and not sure where to ask this ? ok I am loading .45acp small primer and it shoots just fine BUT powder valley is out of federal small pistol primers they have fed. small magnum and small rifle primers will these work or should I just use another brand till federal is in stock again

nicholst55
10-22-2012, 10:49 PM
I would just use another brand. Either of the two you mentioned will work to create ammo that will go 'BANG!' However, for accuracy in the .45 ACP case, I'd stick to standard small pistol primers.

runfiverun
10-23-2012, 01:14 AM
winchester or remington wil work fine too.
i just bought some wolf primers,and have used magtech before, and they have done well for me too.
i used the magtech LR primers for my deer loads this year.
remington last year
federal the year before that
little girl used winchester this year.
all in different rifles, i use the primer as the final load tuner....

in the 45 acp about anything will work well enough.
you need a gun "good nuff" to really tell just a primer swap in one,and you can retune the load if necessary.

bobthenailer
10-23-2012, 09:26 AM
Just my 2 cents, years ago i ran into 20,000 Fed large pistol magnum primers at a very good price. with 5.0gr of WSL powder and the Saeco #68 200gr swc bullet, which is not a max load! i had orgionaly worked up the load with FED LP i swithched to the FED LPM acuracy was nearly identical for 25 shot groups at 25 yards from the bench with a red dot sight.
IMO it would be ok to use SPM primers as long as the load was not near max to begin with
Ive used small pistol primers in the 22 hornet , and SPM & SR in the 38 super with no problems .

44man
10-23-2012, 09:28 AM
I would not go to a mag, just find other primers.
I have found little difference with brands, just between mag and standard.

41 mag fan
10-23-2012, 09:29 AM
I occasionally go to the 1911 forum and see where some of the 1911 nuts use sm rifle in place of sm pistol.

Buy I myself would try another brand, I've used Wolf and Tula with good experience in my 1911's

captaint
10-23-2012, 09:31 AM
+1 what 44man and nichols55 said. Just switch brands. don't mix standard & magnum. enjoy Mike

gray wolf
10-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Wolf and Tula are the same primers, Wolf gets them from Tula,
Wolf had a problem a short time ago. Powder valley stopped selling them.
They replace some for me with Win. these were all L P P there was oil of some kind in the trays the primers come in. 6 0r 8 out of each 100 would not fire.
John told me he never wanted to see another wolf primer--EVER
I guess wolf went out of business and had unloaded some old stock that had problems. There seems to be no problem with Tula, I have used them and they perform like Win. LPP but then so did the Wolf.
You can save a good amount of $$ using the Tula for the 45 ACP.
CCI also is OK.

ErikO
10-23-2012, 11:12 AM
And PV has their 32# no Haz Mat sale going. I really have to get the guys here at work reloading...

dragon813gt
10-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Pick another brand. I haven't found any difference between brands. I did consolidate my stock to fewer sizes but that's for another thread.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

garym1a2
10-23-2012, 12:28 PM
win/cci

dnmccoy
10-23-2012, 10:40 PM
+1 for CCI...I use em and love em in my small rifle and small pistol loads

Love Life
10-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Just pick another brand. Remington are my favorite for SP, and winchester for LP.

Although more often than not my primer brand is decided by what is on sale.

1fast8
10-23-2012, 11:20 PM
thanks for the info by the way the main reason i did not want to change brands is that i had gotten some of the wolf primers (prob from the batch that had the oil on them) they were awful did not want anymore problems

km101
10-23-2012, 11:33 PM
I have substituted LPM for LP primers in the past in my .45acp loads. This did not seem to affect accuracy or cause excessive pressure. But that was 10 years ago and night not still hold true.

Just change to a different brand of primers to avoid complications. Better to be safe than sorry! As stated above, almost any brand will do.

BTW, what problems did you have with the Tula primers, and did the vendor correct it? I bought some Tula primers about 5 months ago, and have not had any problems. Just wondering.