PDA

View Full Version : Dril and tap a enfield 45-70

toolz568
10-22-2012, 03:15 PM
I want to drill and tap a scope mount on a enfield #1 Mk III 45-70. I have tried the S & K scope mount, but the mount does not work. The barrel is smaller and the mount does not fit. The problem is I can't figure out which mount to buy for the enfield #1 MK III. Any help would be good.

docone31
10-22-2012, 04:12 PM
You make it from 1" angle iron. It goes on the left side of the reciever.
Not too difficult, and as close to original as can be.
There are several sites on how to do it.

toolz568
10-23-2012, 08:32 AM
Thanks, I see Sun Microsystems makes one. I also noticed someone driled and tapped the front of the enfield s & K mount. Both seem like good options.

mtnman31
10-23-2012, 03:30 PM
I've got a Gibbs 45-70 converted Enfield. It is one of the most enjoyable rifles I have to shoot. I don't have a scope mounted to mine, just use the open sights. Have you thought about an adjustable receiver peep sight? There are plenty of them around both at shows and on fleaBay. Good luck with the mount and have fun shooting that rifle.

303Guy
10-24-2012, 05:22 AM
We need photo's! Lots of photo's.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/MVC-485F.jpg

This photo was to show the shock cord carry I use but the scope rail can be seen. That's a Lithgow in 303-25.

I like the idea of an adjustable peep sight.

toolz568
10-27-2012, 07:44 PM
303Guy,

What type of mount is that? I saw a modified S & K mount that was drilled in the front that may do the trick. I would love to go back to open sights, but the eyes are not what they use to be.

I'll take a few pictures soon.

Antietamgw
11-04-2012, 06:09 PM
This may not be of much help as it's a flat sided No4 and not the rounded No1 action but since there are a couple pics, I thought y'all might overlook that minor detail...

I've always wanted to know why Frank Marshall was so fond of the Enfields. My first centerfire was a sporterized (kinda) 1917 Eddystone but I've never had a No1 or No4 until now. I recently picked up a Longbranch No4 Mk1* with an excellent 2 groove barrel, .304 X .316. I figured it would shoot but didn't really have a suitable mold that large (or small). I have 311299 that drops at .312 with ACWW and it's been great in my P17 and '03. I bumped some a tad to .313/.305 and shot them with 15.0/2400. They showed promise but I had a real problem seeing the front sight. I wasn't sure what I was testing - the rifle or me. I could change it to a Lyman 17 or something similar that I could see but, truthfully, in the back of my mind I was thinking rather than buying another mold specifically for this unproven rifle, I'd replace this barrel with a Remington take off or a Green Mountain blank and sell this correct barrel to someone that needed and appreciated it. Other than reamer cost,I figured I wouldn't too deep into this. Did I mention this was to be a low cost project? This receiver had already been drilled and tapped for an unknown scope base. I recall seeing the Indestructable Scope Mount on Steve Regwell's site some years back. Thanks Steve! Visiting his site, I decided this was my best bet, especially since it didn't alter the rifle any more than had already been done before I got it. We had some non-stop days prior to Hurricane Sandy getting wheat planted, buildings battened down and double checking the generator as cows need to be milked, fed and the milk cooled regardless of the weather. I had a few spare hours before she blew in and spent it in the shop cobbling up my version of Steve's scope mount. I never thought I'd use angle iron or a 4" angle grinder on a gunsmithing project... I used a Weaver base for Marlin 336 as a pattern for the base. I had a spare, it was low, flat and I could keep it as a 1 pc. base, though I don't like them, if I thought I needed it to get the rings where I wanted them. I ended up cutting it and milling the mount for better access to the loading port. I believe Weaver makes the steel version of this base now and I'll order one next time I need something from Brownells. If I make another, I'd move the front base forward a tad to expose the entire port. Still have some minor milling and polishing to do before blueing the mount but I wanted to get out and shoot it. With the scope off, you get a clear view of the front sight through the ladder sight set at 300 or higher. The battle sight won't work, it's too low. I figure to get another No4 front sight base and alter it for a Lyman 17 or a taller, wider sourdough. Maybe I can get the height worked out for full power loads at the lowest setting, maybe not.... While I'm cobbling, I thought about opening up the ladder sight and tapping for a standard aperature, moving the hole a little higher on the ladder if needed. Kind of tough for me to see through that small aperature in low light and tapping for a standard aperature wwould let me use it as a ghost ring if needed. I need to be sure it will clear the elevation screw first. This rifle came without a magazine and I haven't had time to get one yet. The one from my No1 Ishapore .303 doesn't fit and latch quite right. I keep an old Revelation 4X scope around for testing because it's been utterly reliable and I can count on it. With the adjustments centered, the first group shot at 50 yds. from an uncomfortable downhill sitting position was a couple inches to the right. I need to do some trigger work and get some bench time in this rifle before deciding the next step.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h232/Antietamgw/Enfield/No4%20Mk1/No4Mk1004.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h232/Antietamgw/Enfield/No4%20Mk1/No4Mk1005.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h232/Antietamgw/Enfield/No4%20Mk1/No4Mk1011.jpg
http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h232/Antietamgw/Enfield/No4%20Mk1/

Bullshop
11-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Nice work!

goste
11-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Weaver makes a drill and tap mount for the Lee Enfield. It's a TO1 (tip off). I have one on a No1, and a No4.

The only thing I don't like about them is they use the tip off rings, which are 3/8, like on most .22's.

But, the one on my No.1, was put on by my Father in about 1972. He killed a lot of deer and elk with this rifle, and it still wears the same scope and mount, 40 yrs later.

It looks a lot like the one on 303Guy's..

toolz568
11-14-2012, 07:49 PM
I have a S&K mount and someone tapped a single hole in the front and said it was very strong. I'm going to try this first, then try the weaver. I'll let you know how we'll it works.

Thank

Four Fingers of Death
11-15-2012, 07:41 AM
Most of the SMLEs here in Australia are D&T'd on the reciever ring and charger guide and sport a bridge mount. Solid as.