PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Flint Pistol

Red Sky
10-22-2012, 01:24 PM
I decided over the weekend that I'm going to be selling my Saiga 5.45 as it sees little use lately, and want to replace it with a flintlock pistol for something new. The only planned use is fun at the range. The problem is, I know next to nothing about what's good and what's trash. I found a couple around $300 at
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/490/1

...but have no idea of the actual maker and/or quality level. I'm not expecting the highest quality in a sub-$400 or so price range, but for my recreational uses I just want something safe and accurate enough to 15 yards or so. Style points are a plus as well, and I like that Sea Service replica they have. Does anyone know of other places to look, and/or stay away from? Thanks!

KCSO
10-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Those aren't shooting guns as is. They are more display pieces. The locks are soft and if I remember right they don't even have the touch hole drilled.

A GOOD flintlock pistol will have a good locks, say $130 for the lock and a good barrel that will be another $50. Plus parts and building... if you can find a GOOD flinter pistol for say $500 jump on it. I am working on a flint pistol right now and in parts alone I have close to $300 in it and it's still unfinished. By the time it's done I will have about 50 hours of work in the gun over and above parts.

Now a flint pistol MUST have top notch parts as you not only need it to fire reliably but the faster the lock time the closer you willl hold on target shooting off hand. IMHO those cheap CVA ect flinters are junk. Poor triggers cheap ocks and rough barrels. They will simply convince you that a flint pistol is useless and dissapoint you.

You might PM Waksupi and see what he has available for a trade pistol, but again don't expect to get it cheap.

Red Sky
10-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Thanks, that's exactly the sort of info I was looking for.

I did know about the vent drilling required and have no problem doing most any amount of work that doesn't involve expensive/large tooling myself, so I'll definitely look at part options and see what I can do from there. A project gun would be well worth the satisfaction to me anyway.

Where might I search for some of these quality parts you speak of? I'll price things out and see what I can and can't do and go from there.

Thanks!

waksupi
10-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Have I got a deal for you. [smilie=s:

I recently built a new pistol, and robbed the lock from my old horse pistol to use.
So, I have the "carcass" here. It sure isn't my best work, I used a piece of scrap wood, and a cut off rifle barrel.
The Chambers Queen Anne lock goes on this, about $130 bucks, plus two lock bolts. I had slightly modified the shape of the lock plate, so it isn't quite standard.
What I can do for you, is if you want this, you order a lock, and have it delivered to me. I fit the lock, and drill and tap the lock bolts. Then I send it to you, ready to go.
This is a .54 cal., with a 10 inch barrel, White Lightning vent liner installed. I've used this for competition the past couple years, and it shoots better than I can.
I want $160 for the carcass and shipping cost, so you would be into the project for under $300.

Red Sky
10-22-2012, 04:15 PM
PM sent, scrap wood or not it looks great to my eyes, and I wouldn't care much if it didn't anyway - no plans for it to sit in a case idle for years.