PDA

View Full Version : Sausage Seasoning

B R Shooter
10-22-2012, 10:53 AM
We will be butchering a couple pigs soon, and would like to know if anyone has a recipe for seasoning fresh ground pork for sausage?

We usually use salt, pepper, sage. I'm sure there are other things we can put in for a better blend. Any ideas?

waksupi
10-22-2012, 11:24 AM
Check in the recipes area, I think there are several good ideas.

x101airborne
10-22-2012, 01:42 PM
I posted my family sausage recipe on here a while ago. It is the best we have ever found and it is simple. We have never had a bad batch with this recipe. If you cant find it, let me know and I will give it to you. No secret. Just perfection.

Moonie
10-22-2012, 03:24 PM
I posted my family sausage recipe on here a while ago. It is the best we have ever found and it is simple. We have never had a bad batch with this recipe. If you cant find it, let me know and I will give it to you. No secret. Just perfection.

I'd like to take a look if you don't mind x101airborne.

x101airborne
10-22-2012, 04:47 PM
Here it is.
This is for 10 pounds of meat. Be sure to add beef trimmings or pork tallow to keep the fat content up if using deer and wild hog.

8 tsp canning salt
5 cloves minced garlic mashed into the salt before mixing with anything else.
2 Tbsp chili powder. I prefer Ancho chili powder, but we used the regular stuff for years.
1/8 cup black pepper
2 tsp pink cure. Available online everywhere and one bag will last you years. This is to absolutely prevent the sausage from developing salmonella while curing. Use it.

This recipe makes a very good, very mild sausage. For a little kick, I like to add 1 tsp of cayenne or pick and dry some chili petines and grind em up in a coffee grinder. I mix all seasonings in a bowl before applying to the meat.

On the cure, there is a wet cure and a dry cure. Be sure to get the right one.

You probably wont want to increase the salt content of this recipe. It is perfect the way it is. Or, at least try a batch before adding. I wouldn't want my sausage any more salty.

For breakfast sausage, I add 1/2 cup maple syrup and 2 tbsp of ground sage.
And that is all!

jimkim
10-22-2012, 05:37 PM
I've been wanting to try this, myself. Give it a look see.
http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/11/14/andouille-sausage-recipe/

blackthorn
10-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Go to your search engine and type in "Wood for smoking". Therre are literally hundreds of pages about sausage making and other related things.

gbrown
10-22-2012, 07:54 PM
Here's a couple that I use. I like to cut up the meat and sprinkle/toss seasoning on before grinding. Let it sit in a cooler over night, remix, sit another night, and then stuff or bulk package. For some reason, sage gives me indigestion with pork. With poultry, doesn't bother me. I keep sausage recipes to a minimum with sage. Some people just love it. Whatever your taste is.

45# 60/40)

45 pounds meat (60% lean/40% fat
12 oz Steak Seasoning
3 TSP Cinnamon
7 TBSP Garlic Powder
7 TBSP Onion Powder
1 TBSP Sage
5 TBSP Paprika
2 TBSP Red Pepper
2 TBSP Savory
7 TBSP Allspice
1.5 ounces #1 Cure(if stuffing and smoking)

Breakfast Sausage
• 15 pounds boned pork butts
• 8 tablespoons kosher salt
• 5 teaspoons ground white pepper
• 3 tablespoons of rubbed sage
• 1½ teaspoons ginger
• 5 teaspoons nutmeg
• 5 teaspoons thyme
• 4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
• 3 cups ice water
Grind all of the pork butts through a three-sixteenths or one-quarter inch plate. Refrigerate the ground pork until well chilled - ideally 32 to 34 degrees Fahrenheit. When the meat is chilled, thoroughly mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl. In a large bowl or lug, thoroughly mix the water and spice mixture with the ground pork. Immediately stuff into 22mm to 24mm lamb casings. Hang the stuffed sausage in a cool place to dry to the touch, approximately 30 minutes. Refrigerate or freeze immediately after drying.
If you do not have a sausage stuffer, you can store the sausage in patties or in bulk. Refrigerate or freeze as desired.

x101airborne
10-22-2012, 08:57 PM
gbrown.... Those are some fine recipies. I may try to modify a small batch of my recipe with some of your stuff. Thanks for sharing.

gbrown
10-22-2012, 11:14 PM
gbrown.... Those are some fine recipies. I may try to modify a small batch of my recipe with some of your stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. The first is a replica of my father's. The Allspice gives a little different flavor, but excellent. He never smoked it, just breakfast sausage. He used fresh garlic and onion leaves he grew in the garden, as well as some onion and garlic heads. I tried this with venison sausage (half & half), smoked with cure #1, and it was really good. Alas, I do not have the fresh garlic or onion, but still good. The fresh veggies "kicked it up a notch."

flounderman
10-22-2012, 11:31 PM
You can go online and type sausage receipes or you can get premixed packages of seasoning. I bought enough to do 100 lbs of stuffed sausage but it can be used loose also. Leggs old plantation seemed to be one of the better buys. I got some good stuff from the sausage place in new hampshire, also. I added some lard to some ground deer so it would go thru the stuffer easier and it worked ok.

gbrown
10-23-2012, 10:14 AM
One of the really good brands of packaged seasonings is Zach's. Allied Kenco has a website which has Zach's on it. I have used several different blends--breakfast sausage, summer sausage, snack stick and Italian sausage. My experience with it was very positive.

http://www.alliedkenco.com/

10x
10-24-2012, 11:47 PM
Amazon is your friend
the definitive sausage book is called " The best of wurst"
It has many standard recipes - with the seasonings made from ingredients rather than a bag from the store
I tried finding in on Amazon.

but these folks in Edmonton alberta have it
https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/eSource/ecom/eSource/items/Products.aspx?currLevel=5&lValue1=BS&lValue2=B-BOOKDVD&lValue3=B-BOOK&lValue4=B-BOOK&lValue5=B-BOOK&siteId=1&store=&PageNo=2

Moonie
10-25-2012, 12:47 PM
I've used this site for lots of recipes for sausage:

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm