PDA

View Full Version : Cutting large pieces of lead

machanic
10-22-2012, 10:16 AM
I noticed a few post about members finding large lead pieces (boat keels, fork truck ballest, etc.) and abandoned the piece for being too heavy and too difficult to cut to smaller easlier managed pieces, has anyone tried carbon arc gauging? If you search it you will find reference to extreamly high amperages and air jets etc. but becouse lead flows easly and you don't have to cut through in one pass you don't need a monster electric welder and special torches, a simple electric welder 200 amp and stick torch and the lead piece proped up to allow molten lead to flow down and out of the cut will work. Of course wear proper welding safety gear and position yourself upstream of the lead flow!!

bumpo628
10-22-2012, 11:54 AM
Wouldn't that get it hot enough to vaporize?
The boiling point of lead is 3182° F.

Alan in Vermont
10-22-2012, 11:58 AM
While the arc would certainly cut lead it would also produce huge amounts of lead vapor. An arc is so hot that vapor generation would be almost instantaneous. Using an arcair gouging torch would be a really messy job as the air stream blasts molten material all over the place.

machanic
10-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Gasing may be a problem, it's not how hot the arc is its how hot the lead gets, and as for spraying molten lead I think I mentioned no air no nozzle, I,ve done steel, cast iron, brass(marine) and copper, if I find a large piece of lead I will try that, of coarse taking proper precautions!

40Super
10-24-2012, 01:57 AM
I think an oxy/cet torch and a rosebud tip would work best. Just put a catch container below and start melting. Stop when the level of lead in the containers is low enough to handle, dump out then start melting. Oh what a joy it would be to have that problem.

hithard
10-24-2012, 02:36 AM
I went to work on a piece of ballast with an ax. It took a bit of work, but it's all boolit's now.

machanic
10-24-2012, 08:04 AM
I went to work on a piece of ballast with an ax. It took a bit of work, but it's all boolit's now.

Now thats a case of admirable perserverance!

Odie
10-24-2012, 09:02 AM
Had the same problem-I put on resp and used a skilsaw with a rough wood blade-no fumes but small lead chunks to sweep up after....