PDA

View Full Version : Jerkin' venison

Jim
10-22-2012, 08:21 AM
I'm gonna try jerkin' some venison this year. I've never done it before, but understand it's relatively easy to do. I got to snoopin' around for recipes and methods and found something rather interesting. Alton Brown, one of the guys on the Food Network, came up with a method of jerking using a common box fan and air filters (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/beef-jerky-recipe/index.html).

I also discovered a device that vacuum seals canning jars (http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T03-0023-01-Wide-Mouth-Jar-Sealer/dp/B00005TN7H/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350908304&sr=8-1&keywords=canning+jar+vacuum+sealer)without the trouble and equipment required for hot bath canning. This would work for jerky, dried fruits and the like, but not for veggies and wet meats.

Trey45
10-22-2012, 08:25 AM
The first thing you're gonna need is a deer.

Olevern
10-22-2012, 08:28 AM
The first thing you're gonna need is a deer.

Gotcha there, Jim:-D

Trey45
10-22-2012, 08:31 AM
And Jim?

http://www.animalsintheattic.com/_wizardimages/raccoon.jpg

That ain't a deer.

Jim
10-22-2012, 08:38 AM
And Jim?

http://www.animalsintheattic.com/_wizardimages/raccoon.jpg

That ain't a deer.

Close enough. Besides, it's a lot easier to bring up out of a bottom, what with my arthritis and all that, ya' know. :veryconfu

fishnbob
10-22-2012, 09:16 AM
My mother in law had a recipe for barbequed coon that was the talk of the town years ago. Unfortunately it died with her, bless her heart. She was the best wild game cook I ever met. And a darn good mother in law.

fourarmed
10-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Down the list somewhere, a member posted a recipe for pulled pork in a crockpot. It works just as well with beaver. I thought about this because our gun club used to have a wild game feed every year, and they always had a huge broiler full of barbecued coon that I later found out was actually beaver.

44man
10-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Coon can get leg worms. Deer in PA had them bad. I had to toss some meat that was so infested I didn't want to clean it. They go in between muscles, connective tissues. Boning and removing the tissue gets rid of them, they are not in the meat. They will not hurt you when cooked but are disgusting to find.
One time I had coon from a neighbor that was full of them. The meat was good until I found the stinking things!
I have eaten bugs like cicadas and grass hoppers but I draw the line with those things.

Lloyd Smale
10-30-2012, 05:56 AM
Id eat a beaver but draw the line at coon and skunk. Coon and skunk eat ANYTHING and usually nothing that is healthy to a human. They are both usually infested with parasites and other desieses. Maybe in a survival situation but not as long as i can find and afford a lb of hamburger!

Lloyd Smale
10-30-2012, 06:01 AM
jerky is easy enough to do right in your kitchen oven. Personaly mine has to be done in a smoker but thats just a personal prefernce. As to storing it. your probably better off in an open jar that allows the meat to dry then you are to seal it up. even jerky has moisture in it and will eventually spoil. I wouldnt trust anything short of pressure canning it for real long term storage.
I'm gonna try jerkin' some venison this year. I've never done it before, but understand it's relatively easy to do. I got to snoopin' around for recipes and methods and found something rather interesting. Alton Brown, one of the guys on the Food Network, came up with a method of jerking using a common box fan and air filters (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/beef-jerky-recipe/index.html).

I also discovered a device that vacuum seals canning jars (http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T03-0023-01-Wide-Mouth-Jar-Sealer/dp/B00005TN7H/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350908304&sr=8-1&keywords=canning+jar+vacuum+sealer)without the trouble and equipment required for hot bath canning. This would work for jerky, dried fruits and the like, but not for veggies and wet meats.

Tom-ADC
10-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Came across this site a couple of weeks ago, loads of info here.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16

L1A1Rocker
10-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Sorry I can't add anything about the jerky question. But, that Alton Brown character? He's a big pro gun, pro 2A guy, he even has his CHL.

10-30-2012, 07:17 PM
I use a food dehydrator but you can use your oven on the lowest setting with the door propped open an inch or 2.

Smokechecker
11-09-2012, 12:40 AM
I've been doing whole muscle and ground jerky in a dehydrator for years. Never made my own seasoning, always use Hi Country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullwolf
11-09-2012, 01:20 AM
I have been making some of my own Jerky lately. I wanted to get away from all the sugar found in store bought Jerky, and try something out that was a bit lighter in the onion and garlic department for seasoning. I like it quite a bit, but taste is kind of subjective. This is what I have come up with so far.

My Jerky Recipe:

3 lbs of lean Beef, or Venison. Cut into Jerky sized slices, trim excess fat.
1 tspn, or more of Chipotle Powder (makes it kind of spicy)
1 Tablespoon of Salt
1 Tablespoon of finely ground Black Pepper
1 level tspn of Prague Powder #2 (pink salt #2)
1/3 of a cup of Apple Cider Vinegar.
1/4 of a cup of Soy Sauce
1/8 of a cup of A1 Steak Sauce (1/8 cup = 2 Tablespoons)
1 Tablespoon of Worcestershire Sauce.

Mix it all together and let the meat sit in the marinade for 24 hours in the fridge while sealed up inside a zip-lock bag, be sure to turn the bag at least a couple of times.

24 hours later, put it in the food dehydrator until it has about a 70-80% moisture loss. Checking for desired consistency of the jerky as you go.

If the Jerky gets to be so dry and hard that you can sharpen a piece and stab someone with it - you have probably gone a bit too far.

- Bullwolf

bronte454
11-09-2012, 02:42 AM
I started out trying to make my own seasoning marinade that didn't turn out to well. So now I use the hi-mtn. Dry rub stuff it's great. A little trick I'm sure most of you know is to get whole muscle pretty thin I cut it in strips while still mostly frozen. I'd say 70 percent . I've. Only tried whole muscle jerky for four yrs. In my dehydrator. Every yr I dry it too much , I'm worried about not done enough and I end up with some that you could turn into a shank. Any suggestions on what done enough would be ? How do I tell when's good enough . When its in there and warm its still very pliable but when it cools its stiff brittle and dry .

375RUGER
11-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Turned a whole yearling into this once.

per pound of meat
1/4 c. soy sauce
2 T. brown sugar
1/4 t. black pepper
1/2 t. ground ginger
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. kosher salt

Marinate for 2 hours. You can go straight to the dryer with it but I put it in the smoker for a couple hours first then into the dryer.

gwpercle
11-13-2012, 02:37 PM
I started out trying to make my own seasoning marinade that didn't turn out to well. So now I use the hi-mtn. Dry rub stuff it's great. A little trick I'm sure most of you know is to get whole muscle pretty thin I cut it in strips while still mostly frozen. I'd say 70 percent . I've. Only tried whole muscle jerky for four yrs. In my dehydrator. Every yr I dry it too much , I'm worried about not done enough and I end up with some that you could turn into a shank. Any suggestions on what done enough would be ? How do I tell when's good enough . When its in there and warm its still very pliable but when it cools its stiff brittle and dry .

If you want to store it without refrigeration then stiff, brittle and dry is the way to go. Dry means no bad bacteria will grow. But if you will be storing in refrigerator then take a strip out , let cool and see how it is...as long as a lot of moisture has been removed, it doesn't have to be bone dry and rock hard to keep in frige. This is what I do for eating at home jerky. I would say it keeps at least 6 months in frige but it never lasts that long. Keep an eye on the drying and when it starts looking dry do a taste test.

gary

SlippShodd
11-16-2012, 03:02 AM
I've been making my deers into teriyaki jerky, using a marinade much like 375's recipe, then smoking it with apple wood. You can do it in the oven as described and that works too. You can leave out the brown sugar and up the black pepper and have a more conventional, non-teriyaki flavor. You can add some liquid smoke and fake it pretty well. Either way, it's freakin' yummy.
I can't help you with the ringtail recipes... the dogs always get those.

mike

10x
12-06-2012, 01:16 AM
I use a cure called Morton's Tenderquick. I will add black pepper, sugar (equal volume os sugar to cure) and I will cure jerky as whole muscles, cold smoke 2 to 6 hours , then dry for 2-3 weeks

GH1
12-11-2012, 07:25 AM
I made some jerky Sunday, it's pretty easy. You'll need some sort of seasoning, and be sure to remove all the fat from the meat.
I placed the strips of meat on wire cooling racks to get proper airflow and set my oven to 170 degrees F in convection mode. I think it took about 4 hours or so.
GH1

K-Rod
12-25-2012, 04:50 AM
It's pretty easy in the oven. Only thing I have right now. Asked Santa for a smoker for X-mas but I have a couple hours yet to find out if I got it!! Here's my recipe.

Half a gallon zip lock bag of sliced meat.
A can of Cherry Coke
About half a cup of Worcestershire & Soy Sauce
3-4 shakes of Johnny Seasoning

Let it marinate overnight in the fridge. Lay the meat out on cooling racks put in a cookie sheet. I put fresh ground black pepper on the marinated meat. Put in the oven at the lowest setting for 7-8hrs depending on the thickness of the meat. Let cool & enjoy.

Elkins45
12-30-2012, 11:06 AM
I enjoy the ground variety more than whole muscle jerky because I can control the seasoning and drying easier. My absolute favorite flavor is the pepperoni seasoning that Nesco sells for the jerky shooter. I don't use the shooter anymore, but I sure do love their pepperoni mix. I would love to figure out how to make an identical mixture at home.