PDA

View Full Version : Changing Lube in a STAR????

rbertalotto
10-22-2012, 06:46 AM
Sure wish there was some kind of "cartridge" thingy to quickly change lube in a STAR.

I know folks say to heat up the cylinder to melt it out. Anyone found a better method. Some type of screw auger maybe?

I shoot Black Powder and Smokeless and currently I'm using SPG on everything because of the hassle of cleaning out the reservoir.

cajun shooter
10-22-2012, 08:01 AM
At one time I had three Stars so that I did not have to go through the process of changing lubes.
I'm a 100% cartridge BP shooter but do on occasion make up a batch of 45 ACP or 40 S&W for my carry guns.
The process that I was using was way too slow and it took forever to swap lubes. I now use a heat gun from Harbour Freight and it only takes about 15 minutes. If I only have a hundred or so to lube then I just use my BP lube but if it's 500 or more, I change.
If you take out your brass screw and turn the sizer upside down and use the high setting then it flows pretty fast into the metal cake pan I use to catch my BP lube so that it may be used again.

fc60
10-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Greetings,

I remove all the parts I can from the machine body and boil it in water, using a double boiler. The grease being lighter floats to the surface. Turn off the heat and the lube hardens for easy removal.

Finally, dry the machine body off well and spray with water displacing oil.

Cheers,

Dave

runfiverun
10-22-2012, 01:44 PM
i just remove the brass screw on the side of the base and turn up the air pressure.
the lube squirts from the hole into a cup i set there.
i put the screw back in and put the new lube in.
then pull the sizer die.
and pump the rest of the lube through the feed hole there.
then lube about 15 boolits, that generally cleans everything up pretty well.

MT Chambers
10-22-2012, 06:47 PM
I find it much easier to just use up what's in there, you are normally doing big batches with the Star and I would just find a bullet that needs that lube.

rbertalotto
10-22-2012, 08:34 PM
i just remove the brass screw on the side of the base and turn up the air pressure.

This sounds like the best method.........I'm gonna try it!

Frozone
10-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Sounds like you need the ultimate cure for the problem - a second star.

Artful
10-22-2012, 11:27 PM
or at least a second lube sizer of some kind - I kept my Lyman and RCBS just for reasons like this.

crabo
10-23-2012, 12:13 AM
I use a steel ruler, (12"x1") to clean the lube out once I have heated it up. Then I just add more and let the star purge itself.

Stillwater
10-23-2012, 11:56 PM
Greetings,

I remove all the parts I can from the machine body and boil it in water, using a double boiler. The grease being lighter floats to the surface. Turn off the heat and the lube hardens for easy removal.

Finally, dry the machine body off well and spray with water displacing oil.

Cheers,

Dave

Do as Dave suggests...

WD-40... The W stands for Water, The D stands for Dispersant and the 40 stands for the fortieth iteration.

Bill