PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Lion?

Bullwolf
10-21-2012, 11:14 PM
I was at my families coastal ranch on the California side over the weekend. The place is very rural, and quite a bit off the beaten path.

It has also always been lousy with poison oak.
(think poison ivy for all you folks on the other side of the Mississippi)

Both my Grandfather, and I never seemed to have any problem with poison oak.

We are both a part of that small percentage of people who can roll around in the stuff, and never seem to have any reaction to it what so ever.

I have been around poison oak all my life, especially through my childhood, and it just doesn't bother me. I have done all the stuff you are not supposed to do around it, I have burned it, cut it with a chainsaw, fallen off the horse into the poison oak patch, pulled it with my bare hands, etc.

I have heard a bunch of reasons why, from Native American blood, to being around it all the time, to just being a genetic freak.

Whatever the reason for me not getting it, the rest of my family pretty much avoids the place like the plague because of the poison oak infestation. The fairer skinned side of my family seems to get it really easy, and they almost always end up taking a trip to the doctor after being over there, no matter how careful they try to be.

I even gave a really nasty case of it to my Ex-wife a few years back. I got it all over the sofa, and she sat on the sofa while wearing a skirt. She had it all over the back of her legs, and did not speak to me for over a week, but I'm getting off the subject a bit.

My apparent immunity to poison oak has always meant that I get to be the one who pulls it off the well house, or who bush whacks it with the tractor, cuts it back from the road with the weed whacker, and so on.

Handy Tip: A generous squirt of Tecnu in the laundry will keep you from contaminating everything and everyone around you, including the clothes of She Who Must Be Obeyed.

For decontaminating poison oak oil off of yourself, oak covered tools, and clothes, that little bottle of Tecnu is your friend.

http://www.teclabsinc.com/store/poison-oak-ivy/tecnu

http://www.teclabsinc.com/media/7114/Tecnu_12oz_bottle_Main%20Product%20Image.jpg

Anyways, I really love being on the Ranch, mostly because its one of the few unincorporated places in the silly state of California where I can shoot without having to go to a public range. I value that quite a bit as am somewhat anti social I suppose. I am also neither tactical, nor cool, and I really can't stand it when others with poor muzzle control swing and point a fire arm at me.

I have a very small pool of friends who I let shoot on my place, and if they show poor firearm safety, they simply do not get invited back. While this may sound somewhat harsh, one of my neighbors who is also a Vietnam Vet who safely returned home, got shot for the first time recently while on his property shooting with a "friend," He took a 22 LR to the foot. He was most embarrassed about the whole situation, as well as the corresponding trip to the hospital.

So, there I was on the Ranch this weekend, clearing the poison oak from around the tractor shed, and the cabin. Walking with the dog, and just pretty much just enjoying the peace and quiet. I spent a couple nights there, and in the morning I pulled the SIMM card from the game cam on the road.

I like to see whats going on around the Ranch when I'm not there, and I have found that having a couple of game cameras strategically placed on the road, and in various other locations around the ranch is quite enlightening.

I found a picture from this Friday night scattered in with a bunch of my usual deer, fox, and coy dog pictures on the Infra Red game cam.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/187905084ab49d53b3.jpg

It sure looks like a mountain lion to me. Long time since I have seen anything bigger than a bob cat, or a large coyote over there for some time.

It's been more than 10 years since a mountain lion has came within even 500 yards of me on the Ranch. This one was less than 50 feet from the cabin while I was asleep. I would really hate to bump into it down by the creek, or when turning off the well late one night. If I needed another reason to walk around heeled, this one sure counts. Nothing like having an apex predator walking around at night to keep you from being lazy, and leaving the holster in the truck.

I heard through the grapevine (gotta love small towns) that one of my neighbors, *and I use the term neighbor very loosely because they are quite far from me* that raises Llama (llamas?) lost one to a cat this year. Most of the other folks somewhat near me raise cattle. Have heard of even more cat sightings around me as well.

So what do you folks think, is it a big cat, or something else entirely? I really wish that it's face wasn't in the Wild game Innovations logo, but it sure looks like a mountain lion to me.

- Bullwolf

quilbilly
10-21-2012, 11:20 PM
It is a cougar all right. We see them quite regularly around our house on our game cam. No telling how big he or she is without seeing the head or a couple plants in the picture. RThat is why our cam os placed so that some ferns are always in the picture.

Love Life
10-21-2012, 11:48 PM
Oh yeah. That's one of the big cats all right. No mistaking those. Body is right, and you can see the ears as well.

bruce drake
10-21-2012, 11:52 PM
We had a Momma Mountain Lion and her cub on the backside of the Fort's area this summer. Our Post Biologist put the warning out to the community to leave it alone so she wouldn't abandon the cub. Word is that they both have since moved back to the Missouri side of the river.

Bruce.

Love Life
10-21-2012, 11:54 PM
We have seen a healthy bit of them over the years here. I live on the Nevada/California border near Lake Topaz.

Bullwolf
10-21-2012, 11:59 PM
I had added a few more pictures for perspective, but I ended up deleting them later to make space for more pictures.

- Bullwolf

Tom Myers
10-22-2012, 12:01 AM
I took the liberty of cleaning up and enhancing your image a bit.

Sure looks like a cat to me.

Notice how his eyes resemble headlights on a misty road.

http://www.tmtpages.com/LinkSkyImages/forum_images/Cat.jpg

TXGunNut
10-22-2012, 12:10 AM
Looks like a big kitty to me. Be careful on nighttime nature calls or wellhouse trips. Big cats sometimes dispute our position on the food chain.

runfiverun
10-22-2012, 01:06 PM
she may not disput it with you but she will with your dog for sure.
from the looks of things i'd put a deer stand up right above the camera.

hithard
10-22-2012, 08:18 PM
They taste better than deer. Just an FYI.

quilbilly
10-23-2012, 04:12 PM
Thanks for all the perspective. It looks like a small to medium cat about 85-90#. Could be an adult female but you would have to lift the tail to make sure.

runfiverun
10-23-2012, 09:55 PM
or "jack up the leg" as my oldest used to say when she was little.

WILCO
10-24-2012, 09:53 AM
w0w!! That's a big cat alright.

Bullwolf
11-27-2012, 01:59 AM
Just a follow up post.

My original night time picture was definitely of a big cat.
I found another kitty photo today (better quality this time too) on my road game cam while changing SIM cards. It walked by a bit earlier in the day this time, but since it's so late in the year it's getting dark much earlier now. I don't like how brave this cat was. I am somewhat noisy so typically they will not come this close to my place, especially in the day time. It does help explain my complete lack of any deer pictures lately though. I look at this, a lot like I look at coyotes. They are sort of cute, until one runs by with a chicken in it's mouth, then suddenly they aren't so cute anymore.

Don't worry about me guys, I keep my eyes open, pay attention, and I always go heeled around the Ranch. The pictures just help reinforce the need to be vigilant. If a mountain lion comes too close to the cabin, my person, or any livestock... It just might have a little accident.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=64540&d=1353992497

- Bullwolf

starmac
11-27-2012, 02:09 AM
Aren't they somewhat protected in cali, time for the three s principle. Rest assured it is not just out for a stroll, twice I have seen them do some major livestock damage. Both times when a rancher had penned calves in the evening for the bullhaulers to start picking them up first thing the next morning. Both times the pens were tore down and the calves scattered all over h&ll and half of georgia, but with several dead before the pens broke.

Bullwolf
11-27-2012, 02:57 AM
They could very well be protected in my area for all I know. I will have to look into it some. Although if one does decides to dispute my position on the food chain late at night when I get out of the truck to go open the gate, it will be a matter of don't ask, don't tell and then go dig a hole. I know that sounds kind of bad, but if you grew up on a farm, it's likely nothing new to you. At some point you have probably had to bury dead livestock, or shoot a predator in the chicken coop.

A few of my neighbors, and again I use the term loosely as we are pretty off the beaten path, used to obtain deer crop, or deer damage control destruction permits. The deer would tear up the crops that they are trying to grow real bad, and they were allowed to kill X amount of them with the destruction permits, but just kill. It was not OK to keep the meat with the deer damage control permits. The thought of letting all that meat go to waste always made my heart sick, but I'm enough of a redneck to have dressed road kill before, much like others on the board.

I would assume (often a mistake I know) that if you are raising livestock, you could obtain a permit for the same thing if you have predators harassing the domesticated animals that you are trying to raise. But, you never really know with the conservationists in Cali these days. A neighbor who raises Llama lost one to mountain lions this year, and lots of other folks in the areas somewhat near to me raise cattle, sheep, etc. I can ask around a bit, but since we are in an extremely rural unincorporated area, I suspect that most of my "neighbors" would simply do the same thing as I. Relocating big cats just doesn't seem to work very well, especially when they have had a taste for the easy pickings of penned livestock. They tend to just find their way right back to the same area.

- Bullwolf

Bullwolf
11-27-2012, 03:07 AM
Fish and Game

Commonly Asked Questions About Mountain Lions

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/issues/lion/lion_faq.html

Just in case anyone was curious.

- Bullwolf

quilbilly
11-27-2012, 03:07 PM
You are right that relocating them does not work well if your habitats are fully occupied. Up here in the Cascades east of Seattle, even though it area was fully occupied by the big kitties the WDFW specifically relocated young cougars (under 100#) trapped in the suburbs into an area with a giant kitty who targeted smaller cougars as prey (really!!). They never had a small cougar last more than 3 days before the biologists could retrieve the electronic tag off the remains. When that big cat finally almost died of starvation and old age, he still weighed over 240#. I was out mountain biking and hunting coyotes in his territory when I ran into the biologist who begged me not to go after him. I saw him up close in his prime on a logging road when he convinced me my 22 hornet was not adequate.

starmac
11-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Guillbilly It sounds like the game dept. was using the old cat to their advantage.

PS Paul
11-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Funny how the libtards in CA voted to prevent hunting cougars with dogs, but now those same libtards are screamin' over the fact there are "cougars in our yards and someone should do something"!! Since the mid to late '90's, there has been a huge upswing in the amount of cougar sightings in populated areas, but the elementary-school sentiments have obviously had the famed "unintended consequences" of most all of their childish and emotionally-driven environmental decisions/laws. I get a little chuckle each time I hear about another person attacked near populated areas of CA by rampant cougars. So in the inimitable words of Nelson Muntz, "HA-ha!".

foxtrotter
11-27-2012, 10:49 PM
There has been more than one jogger taken by a mtn. lion in N. Cal

starmac
11-27-2012, 10:53 PM
There has been more than one jogger taken by a mtn. lion in N. Cal

I seem to remember them looking for a bicycle rider that a cat had gotten and they found a jogger they didn't even know was missing yet along with the biker.

Maybe some folks just don't count in the big picture. lol

Mal Paso
11-28-2012, 12:35 AM
Last week I saw some skid marks in the driveway from a deer running fast. Ground was hard but further down I saw 3 toes and a pad of a Mountain Lion. Guess that's why the deer weren't hanging around. The farmer below me had 2 deer kills on his property.

MtGun44
11-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Keep any eye on your pets and kids. Just "being there" is worthless, too. SIL lost a pet
cat to a coyote in suburban FLA as she watched. Coyote ignored her and killed the cat.
Just "keeping an eye on" kids or pets without a firearm is a common thing, but utterly
useless when it comes down to it if the predator is unimpressed with armwaving and
yelling. Moving out to the country soon and when the cat goes
out, I'll have a rifle close at hand, plus any coyotes will be shot on sight. Too bad you
can't do anything about the mtn lion, altho I must admit that I probably would not
shoot a cat on sight like a coyote.

Bill

starmac
11-28-2012, 05:01 PM
I spent a big part of my life in cattle country, the three SSS system works in most places.

Harter66
11-28-2012, 05:08 PM
I look at cats a lot like I do bears having both in the "backyard" here. No matter how small/big they are they are about as predictable as their squared weight in pi$$ed off in a paper bag. Of course we have a 2/yr by OTC tag ,open season, don't knowingly shoot a female w/kits or anything w/spots, until a quota of (I think)650 are taken.

quilbilly
11-28-2012, 11:43 PM
The kitties can be a mixed blessing. We had a young female (saw her on our trail cam several times) hanging around our neighborhood last spring and early summer. We had the best garden and roses ever for those months. She left, the four footed locusts (deer) came back and our garden disappeared, even the tomatoes and onions.

starmac
11-29-2012, 12:12 AM
LOL That is the first time I have ever heard a cat keeping the deer population down a blessing.

1Shirt
12-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Nebraska has had numerous sightings of the big cats , in numerous areas including within the city limits of Omaha, and surrounding suburbs. Nothing to fool with.
1Shirt!

gkainz
12-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Had a momma cat with cubs hanging around our lake last year in the suburbs near Golden, CO

TCLouis
12-10-2012, 12:04 AM
From what I saw in the past they seem to like horses.

Bad Water Bill
12-10-2012, 12:21 AM
We have had quite a few sighted in and around Chicago. None of them stay around to long.

The cats complain 3-400# welfare recipients that love gun control leave a BAD taste in their mouth and an upset stomach. [smilie=s:

Love Life
12-10-2012, 02:27 AM
The kitties can be a mixed blessing. We had a young female (saw her on our trail cam several times) hanging around our neighborhood last spring and early summer. We had the best garden and roses ever for those months. She left, the four footed locusts (deer) came back and our garden disappeared, even the tomatoes and onions.

Is she the one you had pictures of at the NCBS?

quilbilly
12-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Yes. She moved on early in August judging by how many deer appeared in our yard and on the trail cam. The deer are still around and I haven't heard of anyone shooting her so she must have moved on. I still hope to see the black one I caught sleeping on the road in front of our mailbox about 16 months ago. That one will make a heck of a rug but I think I scared him so bad when I put a sneak on him and barked like a dog that he may never come back. Just couldn't take a joke I guess.

foxtrotter
12-10-2012, 04:37 PM
My neighbor hunts them and calls it "kitty steak" . The only eating part is the ham.
They taste better than deer. Just an FYI.

xs hedspace
12-11-2012, 01:02 PM
The state DEC claims there are none in NY, but several neighbors have seen one. Told a local game warden that since there are none, if I shot one, it must be imaginary. "Ohh, no you can't do that!" Then I reminded him, the DEC claims any in NY must be "escaped pets", and shooting feral cats is legal. Annoyed him immensely! SSS is the proper fix.