PDA

View Full Version : Grouse in elk camp

Watts124
10-21-2012, 09:24 PM
Wolfer here, me , watts, and reed are in elk camp. Ain't got no elk yet but we just finished supper of fried grouse, fried taters and white gravy. Rich people don't eat this good.

The grouse was taken with lee 452-255-RF

starmac
10-21-2012, 09:38 PM
You are dead on about the rich people. lol

runfiverun
10-21-2012, 10:34 PM
mmmmm grouse,had it here too.
breaded and fried like chicken fingers with a mustard sauce.
gotta love it when the wife say's "you goin deer hunting?"
me "yep"
her "shoot some grouse"! "oh,,,, and good luck on the deer".

waksupi
10-21-2012, 11:02 PM
Grouse tonight here, too.

Pepe Ray
10-22-2012, 12:46 AM
Watts 124;
Forgive me for highjacking your thread but I get the feeling from it's content that you may be able to resurect it. Question for Waksupi.
How do you keep your shin guards from floping down to your ankles?
I've had to resort to a set of umpires shin guards. They work OK but do not have the cachet of yours. This is a serious question. Did you have to pull them up before the picture was snapped?
I have a terrible time walkin in the fields/woods anymore. Goldenrod, berry bushes about any kind of woody plant will rip the skin off my shins right thru my BDU's. The umpire shin guards will enable me to hunt this fall for the first time in several years.
BUT, I'd like to look as classy as you do. Yeah, I've got some vanity left. Old age hasn't robbed me of everything.
How's that Estwing working out for you?

Thanks Watts, Carry on.I like patridge too.
Pepe Ray

sixshot
10-22-2012, 12:57 AM
Using that cast slug in a sixgun or rifle, don't know of anyone shooting them with sixguns!

Dick

waksupi
10-22-2012, 12:08 PM
Watts 124;
Forgive me for highjacking your thread but I get the feeling from it's content that you may be able to resurect it. Question for Waksupi.
How do you keep your shin guards from floping down to your ankles?
I've had to resort to a set of umpires shin guards. They work OK but do not have the cachet of yours. This is a serious question. Did you have to pull them up before the picture was snapped?
I have a terrible time walkin in the fields/woods anymore. Goldenrod, berry bushes about any kind of woody plant will rip the skin off my shins right thru my BDU's. The umpire shin guards will enable me to hunt this fall for the first time in several years.
BUT, I'd like to look as classy as you do. Yeah, I've got some vanity left. Old age hasn't robbed me of everything.
How's that Estwing working out for you?

Thanks Watts, Carry on.I like patridge too.
Pepe Ray

Ray, these are half breed leggins I made many years ago, from brain tanned deer hide. Underneath where the top folds over, is a double wrapped thong that is tied. The sides have a single large button to keep them together. They work well, and stay in place. Without them, my shins look like I was attacked by a herd of mad ferrets by the end of hunting season.

What is an Estwing?

Watts124
10-22-2012, 09:07 PM
Using that cast slug in a sixgun or rifle, don't know of anyone shooting them with sixguns!

Dick

Can you shoot em with anything else.

No grouse in camp tonight, had to make do with elk inner loin. Had the fried taters and white gravy with it though. We managed to choke it down.

Reed shot the cow initially with a j-word but a home cast boolit from a 45 colt between the eyes did the coup-de-grace.

white eagle
10-22-2012, 09:07 PM
Estwing is a hammer .............round these parts that is ,real nice one too!

starmac
10-22-2012, 10:02 PM
They make a decant hatchet and 3/4 axe too.

runfiverun
10-23-2012, 12:39 AM
i'll occasionally take out the 6-gun for them but i generally hunt the ridges and the creek bottoms with the shotgun.
but seem to do better with my ruger mk-2 target 22,or my dan wesson 22, with winchester wildcats [i file a little flat on the nose]
i used to take one of fivedogs pups up with me [she was half chessie/half lab and murder on grouse and pheasants]
that dog would look for the thickest bushes she could find just to walk through them.
i think she was using them as scratching posts.

Watts124
10-23-2012, 09:52 PM
The wolfer brought in two more grouse. But said he was to tired to cook them up, so we are eating canned food tonight.He has to shoot grouse because he can't kill an elk.

runfiverun
10-24-2012, 01:16 AM
hwa wow haha :lol:

OnHoPr
10-24-2012, 12:03 PM
FYI, that's not called gravy anymore. Just like noodles are called pasta, rice is called piloff ( or however you spell it and the rest of them), mashed taters are called potatoe puree', bisque, sorbet, etc. That is called sauce from the famous sauciers.:bigsmyl2:

starmac
10-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Sorry guy sauce still comes out of a still. lol

lbaize3
10-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Oh, I am just so jealous...................

6.5 mike
10-24-2012, 04:31 PM
You ain't the only one :drinks:

Uncle Grinch
10-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Ray, these are half breed leggins I made many years ago, from brain tanned deer hide. Underneath where the top folds over, is a double wrapped thong that is tied. The sides have a single large button to keep them together. They work well, and stay in place. Without them, my shins look like I was attacked by a herd of mad ferrets by the end of hunting season.

What is an Estwing?

Many many years ago, I used to wear military surplus lace up legging. They really did a good job, but got hot quickly.

nanuk
10-24-2012, 07:05 PM
I've used soccer shin guards during moose hunting in Alder Brush...

as for grouse, a few years back, my buddy and I had fresh pike and grouse breast for our first supper at moose camp (we camp on a lake) Awesome!

We can only use a .22rf or a shotgun for grouse, so I'm developing a 45/70 shot load...

Watts124
10-24-2012, 07:43 PM
Life is rough in elk camp. Tonight for supper we had fried grouse, canned tomatoes , pork and beans, and fried taters. Now we're all setten around with our bellies hurtin.
Life is rough!

dale2242
10-24-2012, 08:13 PM
My son and I went out Monday and he got a nice forked horn Blacktail. On the way in and out of deer country we got 2 ruffed grouse and 2 Mountain quail.
I see backstraps here and a couple of upland game stir fries
My favorite truck gun for grouse and quail is my Tender 44 with the Hot Shot barrel. Lucky me, I have enough shot capsules for some time.....dale

Pepe Ray
10-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Uncle G;
I suppose the G.I. leggings could get hot in Georgia. I'm looking at 0*-25*F on a nice November morn. Not much chance for sweat.
The umpire's shin guards I have chosen have shown to be ideal ,so far. I believe that I can keep them covered up 'cause they're noisy otherwise. Whats nice about them is the built in knee pads. In recent years I've had to avoid close examination of spoor do to painfull ground contact.
Since this may be my last deer season I'm like a kid at Christmas.
Pepe Ray

smokeywolf
10-24-2012, 09:24 PM
My dad had a Game Getter that was a 22/410 over & under. That was his "Grouse Getter". It was made by the Marble Axe Company. He sold or traded it back in the late 60s.

Watts124
10-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Well we're on the road back to MO. No more grouse for us this year.

Slow Elk 45/70
10-27-2012, 12:51 AM
Sounds familar to me..grouse and patarmin are always a pluss in hunting camp....makes a man's mouth water...thanks for sharing.