PDA

View Full Version : First Cast--Yes! & Thanks

blixen
10-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Took the leap, not half as bad as I had feared. Today was just a test run to make sure I had everything I needed and a reasonable set up and wouldn't burn myself beyond recognition.

Equipment:
Lee DC MOLD C312-155-2R
Coleman camp stove
Stainless steel pot--thrift store.
Lee $5 dipper
Steel spoon-- thrift store --for fluxing.
Beeswax/olive oil bullet lube for fluxing and lubing mold hinges.
Ventilation provided by being outside on a fine Fall day.
Leather work gloves & Eye protection.
18" mop handle

The alloy was melted down mystery alloy .44 cal bullets I bought at a garage sale. Because they had a blue lube on them, they were sort of self-fluxing.

I cast about 25 bullets and about 18 appear useable. I'm examining all of them for lessons to be learned. First 4-5, the block was too hot or not hot enough (?!) they look "galvanized."

About half the bullets are .313 and the other half .314--slight difference between borings? [On closer exam--the bullets seem to be slightly out of round.]

But either size is good because I have a .312 sizer [WRONG--it's .314] for my Argentine Mausers' bores. (and maybe Marlin 336 microgroove)

The .314 right out of the mold is about the groove size of my SMLE NO.4 1945 Longbranch. My SMLE NO. 1. 1917 is about .313-.312 (I have to check my notes.)

THANKS to the folks here for great advice and encouragement. I expect I was lucky things went so well, but it'll get better with experience.

popper
10-21-2012, 06:56 PM
NO wax for the mould hinges, 2 cycle oil works good for me. Use the gloved hand to open the sprue plate, not a stick. Sawdust or equal for flux. .312 will probably be good for the marlin, sizers are cheap.

Cherokee
10-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Congrats on your first go. Experience will improve the results and you will have fun doing it. Then you get to shoot them......satisfaction to come.

blixen
10-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Argh. I checked and I have a .314 sizer and Lee seems to only offer a .311--no .312 size!

Of course, i really won't know anything until I lube them and shoot them and try some loads, gas checks, etc.

runfiverun
10-21-2012, 11:07 PM
you'll be fine.
just a little more practice.
314 is what you'll want in the argie etc anyway.
and 311 is what the marlin will be most comfortable with [if the nose will fit]

back the mold temp down from the frosted/rounded to a more grey/shiney square filled out boolits.

44man
10-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Anyone that starts casting will learn fast. So much to think about until it all falls into place and gets so easy.

blixen
10-22-2012, 04:01 PM
thanks, run5run. I'm ordering the .311 Lee sizer.

For the heck of it, I paper patched one of my boolits (boy, that takes a knack) and it miked out to .324! Does that mean I could shoot these with PPs out of my 8mm Yugo?

Hard to believe a cast boolit could work in a 30-30marlin (sized to .311) on up to an 8mm. I'm sure it's too good to be true.

Wayne Smith
10-22-2012, 04:06 PM
thanks, run5run. I'm ordering the .311 Lee sizer.

For the heck of it, I paper patched one of my boolits (boy, that takes a knack) and it miked out to .324! Does that mean I could shoot these with PPs out of my 8mm Yugo?

Hard to believe a cast boolit could work in a 30-30marlin (sized to .311) on up to an 8mm. I'm sure it's too good to be true.

Welcome to the increasing madness! To answer your question, not too good to be true, that's one of the purposes of paper patching, to re purpose other boolits. I haven't done it yet, not sure my fingers have that nack.

HangFireW8
10-22-2012, 04:06 PM

You could shoot them unpatched out of your Yugo! You may have better accuracy results with them patched, though. [smilie=l:

HF

OnHoPr
10-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Well, that's a start. I'm glad that you seem tickled about casting. It can be very interesting, challenging and rewarding, But as you learn, you will also have [smilie=b::kidding:. Using the lee dipper you are probably double dipping to to fill both cavities. This can cause the mold to change temps, creating different OD's on your BOOLITS. Not saying that your mold cavities might be those sizes, they could be. If you find that you enjoy casting, and are going to be a dipper caster, I would try and get a Lyman dipper. Good ventures.:-)

blixen
10-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Yes, the Lee dipper is a flimsy piece of equipment for sure -- ordered it sight unseen. An ice cream scoop with a notch in the edge would probably work better.

I can get a Lyman dipper for about $18 locally; I'll spring for it ASAP.

runfiverun
10-23-2012, 01:41 AM
say hey to the guy's at gallensons for me while your there will ya...
i have known the owner [dave] since he was just a floor sweeper there.

blixen
10-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Know Dave to see him. I try to buy whatever I can locally and their prices on reloading stuff are competitive with the web when you consider shipping.

runfiverun
10-23-2012, 12:21 PM
yep,i'll drive down there about once or twice a year and stock up on little things.
like 10-20k primers and grab 16-20 lbs of powder.
don't buy as many guns as i used to, but if dave is there they'll still take one of my checks.
the kid at the counter always has a confused look on thier face about the whole "take a check from him, it'll be fine" thing, especially when they see an idaho address on it.