PDA

View Full Version : I want to re-cast Oregon Trails

stubert
06-05-2007, 07:33 AM
I have a few hundred Oregon Trail bullets in 458 and 44 cal that I want to melt down and reuse. They are too hard now, How can I mix them to soften them up and use with gas checks in a .458 cal. I have pure lead, #2 alloy and wheel weights now in ingots.
Thanks, Stubert

Lloyd Smale
06-05-2007, 07:54 AM
first thing id try is just recasting a few and air cooling them. A good percentage of the comercail casters water drop there bullets out of casting machines to keep the bullet damage down so they look more presentable. They can also get away with using less expensive alloys to get hard bullets that are what most customers are looking for whether they need them or not.

felix
06-05-2007, 08:30 AM
Or, you can retry them using a filler to soften the blowby. Filler of choice is the poly shotgun type. ... felix

leftiye
06-05-2007, 02:19 PM
If they are the right size (?), you could try annealing them. If this doesn't work to soften them, recasting them won't work either unless you add some soft lead to the melt.

stubert
06-07-2007, 07:30 AM
I do not like the way they shoot. I want to melt them down and recast them into a gas check design. I also want to soften them a bit. Oregon trails web site has them at 26 on the brinell scale. My rifle likes #2 alloy alot, which is much softer.

Bass Ackward
06-07-2007, 10:25 AM
I don't know how to tell you to get to lyman #2 since OT doesn't publish tin content. But if you simply want @ 15 BHN I would mix 1/4 pure or 1/2 WW should get you close (+/- 2 BHN).