PDA

View Full Version : Anyone load CB in 762-39 ?

Johnch
07-19-2005, 07:47 PM
I just hate having a rifle in the safe and not play with it.
I have had a like new Chinese SKS in the safe for years , that has been lonely for to long.

I had a cheap scope and mount to install.
I cast up some Lee C312-155-2R bullets (water droped) ,lubed and sized and seated GC , then tumble lubed them with Lee stuff.

I then loaded them with 17 gr of AA 5744
I seated them at 2.16" so they would work thru the mag.
The cases just ejected .
At 100 yds I got a 2 1/2" group for 10 shots and a 5 shot 4" group at 200 yds.
I only got to shoot 2 shots over the cronagraph ( some one else shot it ) ,so I don't know SD .
But I got 1810 and 1789 fps

I will sent the Crony in to see if it can be fixed for the A hole .
He owes me a new one either way .

I plan on playing with this load ,it is fun.

Johnch

Buckshot
07-20-2005, 04:39 AM
..............I got a Romanian SKS about 5 years ago and have fired exactly 40 rounds of cast through it. I just loaded up book loads for jacketed similar weight stuff. Purty scientific, eh wot :D ? Actually it was educational in a way.

Velocity was like 21-2,200 fps and feeding, extraction and ejection were fully the equal of factory or milsurp stuff. Groups? Well I was shooting at 50 yards and all the rounds fired hit in the black. One group was about 4". Not good per se'.

What was valuable to me what the fact that there was no leading, they went through straight and they DID group. A bit BIGGER groups then I'd have liked to have seen, but they weren't scattered all over and random. This tells me that if I were to actually do some load developement and pay attention, most likely it would do pretty well.

................Buckshot

jethrow strait
07-20-2005, 12:14 PM
Johnch, for a "safe-queen" that sounds like mighty fine SKS shooting!

Buckskishot, haven't you gotten some really exceptional groups outa that purty Frankenmauser.-----I should talk, I just went and got not one, but two 45ACP Frankenmauser 45ACP barrels from Rhinelander for surplus Mauser actions, just what a boy-pensioner range rat needs!---jethrow

BruceB
07-20-2005, 01:40 PM
My SKS is a Yugoslavian gal, and has been languishing mostly un-used for quite a while....one more of those "someday" projects.

However, I've run over 100 different load recipes through my Ruger 77 in 7.62x39, and some of those were very good indeed. At a minimum of ten rounds per test loads, I'm well past the thousand-round mark and there's STILL a lot of research to do. Of course, the rifle has a 3-9x Leupold scope and a Timney trigger that breaks at about a pound, so even though it's a lightweight, and squirmy on the rest, it sure has some advantages over the militaries.

Those thousand-plus rounds were all cast-boolit loads, using MANY designs from about 120 grains up to 210, all chronographed, and the round is very flexible as to what it will digest.

This is a very entertaining little cartridge, and utterly painless to shoot.

fatnhappy
07-20-2005, 02:08 PM
I have a cheap chinese sks and honest to God, I've never bothered to try cast in it. For the price of garbage surplus, it hardly has seemed worth the time or bother. Ifin I ever put together a bolt action for the 7.62x39 then cast will definately be on my agenda.
FWIW

bruce drake
07-20-2005, 05:35 PM
I've got a chinese SKS (slave-factory 26) that with 15gr of AA1680 shoots a Lee .310 155gr GC into a rough 3" grouping at 100 yards. Never really went into accuracy loading for it but I am waiting for a chamber insert for one of my 7.7 Arisakas to convert it to 7.62x39 and when it comes in, I plan on developing additional loads for it.

Bruce

NVcurmudgeon
07-21-2005, 01:00 AM
Bruce, I clean forgot to tell you that Nevada Duke has gotten incredible accuracy from his CZ Brno 527 in 7.62 X 39 using my Lyman 314299. It does make for an odd looking cartridge, with the boolit being nearly as long as the case! Dunno about loads but you could PM duke, and find another use for your 311299.

Buckshot
07-21-2005, 02:03 AM
"...........NVcurmudgeon: Bruce, I clean forgot to tell you that Nevada Duke has gotten incredible accuracy from his CZ Brno 527 in 7.62 X 39 using my Lyman 314299."

This is the 311284 in the 30 Rooski Shortski, but about the same difference:
http://www.fototime.com/198EEF2CDF44A5C/standard.jpg

These were chambered and extracted from the small ring Mauser. Good engraving, eh?

These are from Al Phillips up Canada way:
http://www.fototime.com/D2C81235E8A1DA2/standard.jpg http://www.fototime.com/0856C82AB60FF54/standard.jpg

The result:
http://www.fototime.com/0B9309A31F9C8FD/standard.jpg

"...........jethrow strait: Buckskishot, haven't you gotten some really exceptional groups outa that purty Frankenmauser."

No I hadn't forgotten, but I thought it was strictly SKS. Heck the small ring is a tack driver. A super accurate load with good speed is the Lee C312-155-2R sitting on top of a full case (28.0grs) or surplus 4895. Velocity is 1950 fps.

I see Al used H4895 in his and is about 100 fps faster with 2grs less powder. Surp 4895 IS slower. Apparently it's speed is about right for a heavier then normal slug and the case volumn.

Off the subject, but it must be like WC846 in the 35 Rem. Kept going faster, and the groups kept getting smaller as the charges increased! A full case of 41.0grs with a Saeco #356 @ 200 grs sitting on the powder for 1" or less at 50 yards and 2200 fps.

..............Buckshot

MT Gianni
07-21-2005, 11:27 AM
Anyone looking for loads for cast should really go to the Castpics link on the bottom of the page and click on research and data, then go to loads, follow the disclaimer through and click on caliber. Gianni

TCLouis
07-30-2005, 05:22 PM
I thought the story was on CB and Hunting, maybe just fell off the thread, or I was dreaming it all up.

Either way would you pass along the full story on the deer and boolit.
Velocity, distance, where hit, total penetration, you know, all of the little details!

Buckshot
07-31-2005, 06:09 AM
I thought the story was on CB and Hunting, maybe just fell off the thread, or I was dreaming it all up.

Either way would you pass along the full story on the deer and boolit.
Velocity, distance, where hit, total penetration, you know, all of the little details!

...........TC, the guy who sent me the photo's some time back related the details to me and I don't remember them for sure to say. I'd hate to misquote the relevant details. It was a fair distance and I want to say 80 yards. The gentleman doing the shooting is a member here but has been off in New Zealand. He's a retired Mountie and is a hunter for sure. His handle here is 45-70 Shooter.

http://www.fototime.com/BB3D84E28CA83DE/standard.jpg
I found this bullet info.

http://www.fototime.com/65805621E8A201A/standard.jpg
Here's another he sent me

..............Buckshot