PDA

View Full Version : powder measure baffles

Beekeeper
10-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Do you use one?
does it help to get more constant powder charges?
Have never used one and saw an article about them and am courious.

Winter , rainy days comming and am looking for projects to keep me busy.
I use a Lee perfect powder measure if that helps .

beekeeper

Love Life
10-21-2012, 02:40 PM
I have. I use the one from Unique-Tek for the Dillon powder measure. It has worked as advertised and I can throw pretty daggone consistant with Benchmark powder. It was worth the $7 to me.

Green Frog
10-21-2012, 06:16 PM
I use one in my B&M... it's part of the design! The main reservoir drops a consistent volume into the visible chamber behind the watch glass. That smaller, secondary chamber feeds the drop tube. ;)

Froggie

Rory McCanuck
10-21-2012, 08:22 PM
I'm not sure it would help on the Lee.
It already has that small hole through the shut off valve that acts like a baffle.
Although, for the effort it would take to bend a business card in half and trim it,
it might be a worthwhile experiment.

williamwaco
10-21-2012, 08:32 PM
I do use one. Have for many years. Back then we made our own from a 3x5 index card ( Yea, I know, "What's that?") The measures I have purchased lately come with one.

It does help charge consistency but only after you can insure consistent operation of the charge handle. This means it will help an experienced loader more than a new loader.

cheese1566
10-21-2012, 11:58 PM
Make your own...

lots of good info here in this thread when I asked...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=97091

Janoosh
10-22-2012, 10:32 AM
I use one on my Shotshell Press, MEC, and use the RCBS baffle in my powder measure for rifle. I find it gives more consistency with Ball powders. Naturally, your style of actuating the powder measure has a lot to do with consistency.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Do you use one?yes
does it help to get more constant powder charges?yes, but only if you're consistent in operation of the powder measure in the first place
Have never used one and saw an article about them and am curious.

Winter , rainy days coming and am looking for projects to keep me busy.
I use a Lee perfect powder measure if that helps .It should help in the Lee. Make one out of a coke can rather than buy one. Much cheaper, works the same. You can find drawing of these things online if you look. Google is your friend.

beekeeper

beekeeper,

Answers in red above.

Take care,

Dave

bobthenailer
10-22-2012, 11:20 AM
The baffels are a added + if your powder measure has one for constitant powder charges

BillP
10-23-2012, 04:59 PM
After about 20 yrs of using an RCBS Uniflow I put one of their baffles in it. I measure down to 2.3 grains of AA#2 (ball) and see virtually no difference in consistancy...going about 10 yrs with the baffle now and don't plan putting a baffle in the other Uniflow on the bench. I thought the baffle would make some measurable difference with the small charge...but it doesn't.

bc

captaint
10-24-2012, 01:21 PM
I made one for my Uniflow - just like the one that comes with the Redding units. NOTE - the baffle goes in the very bottom of the tube. That way,it keeps the amount of powder in the bottom of the column always the same. Works... enjoy Mike

soli
10-24-2012, 07:19 PM
Does it matter if the baffle fits[a little smaller around] when it is bent?

Sonnypie
10-25-2012, 04:27 PM
Powder measure baffles???? :roll:

Well, they are pretty simple actually. Just has an adjustable chamber and grabs a pile of powder from a hopper and dumps it down a chute into your case or a pan for the scale.
I currently have two. They both work the same.
Personally I find them right handy.
But they never really baffled me.
Heck of an improvement over the Lee powder scooper IMO.
:groner:

Nope, don't use chamber baffles. Never felt the need to use them.
I check my cases randomly on my scale and get such accurate throws, Why fiddle?
If it works, don't fix it. ;)
I understand the idea. But with the consistent results I get, I won't be adding any, anytime soon.

RCBS and an ancient Pacific Powder measures in use here. :D

Wayne Smith
10-26-2012, 12:21 PM
I remember reading, years ago, an experiment published by one of the mags. Maybe G&A or Handloader, I'm not sure. Anyway, they took five or six powder measures and tested them with and without baffles. They found no significant effect on any of the measures with or without baffles. I never bothered.

Beekeeper
10-26-2012, 08:56 PM
Thanks guys,
Kinda what I thought.
Read an article in an old magazine about them and wondered.
I use a Lee perfect powder measure and have never had a problem but I don't want one either so am always trying to improve my equipment.

Thanks again
beekeeper

gray wolf
10-27-2012, 12:19 PM
I remember reading, years ago, an experiment published by one of the mags. Maybe G&A or Handloader, I'm not sure. Anyway, they took five or six powder measures and tested them with and without baffles. They found no significant effect on any of the measures with or without baffles. I never bothered.

Le Loup Solitaire
10-27-2012, 01:22 PM
I have a couple of Ohaus Duo measures with built in baffles so I just use them as is. I have as well, a few RCBS uniflow measures without baffles and use them as they are. I never got into finding out whether baffles make a difference or not as all of my measures do deliver consistently what I calibrate them to, with the help of my scales. In the physics of the issue a case for or against the use of baffles can probably be made, but it appears to be theory so whatever you are doing; if it works for you then stay with it, with or without conclusive proof either way. LLS

km101
10-27-2012, 09:14 PM
My Pacific measure (1976) has always been consistent without one. Other measures have given similar results, so I have never felt the need for one.

o6Patient
12-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Baffles can be very effective. Accurate charges are dependent on the powder at the same compactness entering
your metering chamber. Lets think: we are trying to get consistent weight from a volumetric meter. There for the powder
having the same density within a specific volume would have a closer weight value. The more stress free the powder
entering the meter cylinder the more accurate the charge weight will be. Some measures need a baffle more than others
realizing that specific powders have very different flow characteristics: some flow well an others don't. (IMHO)

1hole
12-28-2012, 12:40 PM
Baffles matter depending on the powder type, how much area it has, the amount of V it has and, perhaps most important, how the measure is mounted and used.

Ball powders flow like water so baffles can't do much with them but they tend to measure very well anyway.

If the un-baffled area is large the baffel can't possibly support enough of the powder colume to make much or any difference. Ditto if the V of the baffle is steep; the powder column will simply slide over the edge and not be impeded by the baffle.

If the measure's mount is prone to movement and shaking, such as on a flimsy bench or - heaven forbid - a press, or the operator is clumsy and inconsistant, then no baffle is going to do much good.

I've found that a bit of thin metal cut into a square just a bit too large to sit in the very bottom of the powder hopper so it has to be bent into a shallow V to fit helps consistanacy noticeably with stick and flake powders.