PDA

View Full Version : air coupler

hiram
10-21-2012, 12:19 PM
The coupler on my tank has 3 locking balls. When the hose is tilted a certain way, the air leaks out slowly and quietly. Then you go to use it and you have to allow time to fill.

I went to Lowes to check out their stuff. I saw a coupler with 4 balls and one which looked liked it was a straight sleeve with no locking balls.

Which is better?

Bloodman14
10-21-2012, 12:28 PM
It may not be the balls; check the edges of the fitting that inserts first into the coupler (female end) for worn or beveled edges. That is most likely the culprit. The hose tilting leads me to that conclusion.

gofastman
10-21-2012, 12:51 PM
It may not be the balls; check the edges of the fitting that inserts first into the coupler (female end) for worn or beveled edges. That is most likely the culprit. The hose tilting leads me to that conclusion.
^ this

we go through so many quick connect couplers at my work because of this issue. I have about 1/4 of the shop trained to replace the male ends when they start to leak, but its a big shop and some people are just un-teachable :lol:

if it is indeed the quick disconnect that is bad, try one of the Prevost brand ones.
the best ones are the ones with the plastic outer sleeve, but they are hard to find, but the ones im thinking of are all grey:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21NSZIqNz-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

the second best ones are the new Prevost safety couples called the "S1" series:
http://img.directindustry.com/images_di/photo-g/safety-pneumatic-quick-coupling-7518-2522185.jpg

firefly1957
10-21-2012, 05:59 PM
The "O" ring may be damaged as well.

leadman
10-21-2012, 06:54 PM
The male piece usually wears out first, but just buy the kit with both parts or several males and one female. Easiest way to stop the leaks.

A worn coupler can also fly apart at the wrong time and smack you in places you don't want smacked!

crabo
10-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Miltons are good cheap couplers and you can buy them everywhere. They will wear out, but a lot of that is cause caused by dropping them on the concrete when you unhook.