PDA

View Full Version : Remington Model 8

Beau Cassidy
10-21-2012, 11:24 AM
So I have this hankerin' for a Remington Model 8. No particular reason. I just want one. You don't see them too much South of the Mason Dixon. Being up here in Maine I have seen several and they perk my interest. I have been looking at gunbroker for prices and models. Several have been in my hands during my recent ventures. The most recent one was found yesterday and at a good price I might add. The metal and finish were good, too. It was in .35 and was in good shape. My guess is that it was pretty old since the pistol grip was rounded. I haven't seen that in person before. The stock seemed unusually short and didn't seem to have been cut off so I couldn't figure that out. Are they all short stocked? Anyway- anybody out there got one they want to share info about? I am seriously considering going back and getting it.

Here is one on display at LL Bean in Freeport. It is a straight stock .25.

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/OrthoNP/2012-10-20_14-48-07_214.jpg

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/OrthoNP/2012-10-20_14-48-01_710.jpg

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/OrthoNP/2012-10-20_14-47-44_583.jpg

Bent Ramrod
10-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Not having a photo available, I can only guess that the "short stock" might have had a recoil pad put on it, or that the crescent buttplate that was standard was cut off and replaced with a shotgun buttplate and maybe a slip-on recoil pad for a younger shooter who was growing up. If an expert did it, it would be hard to tell the difference.

The rounded pistol grip was an uncommonly-encountered option on the Remington Model 8. I have one in .25 Remington that has the rounded grip and the crescent buttplate.

The recoil on the larger calibers isn't excessive, but it is disconcerting, because the action function makes the recoil sort of like a boxer who feints with one hand and punches right after with the other. If you're used to shooting other types of guns, the recoil on an 8 or 81 always is more noticeable because it comes as a "surprise" a little after you expect it to come.

John Henwood wrote a good book on the model, called The 8 and the 81.

Mk42gunner
10-21-2012, 08:34 PM
I remember looking at a Model 81 in .300 Savage that seemed short. I didn't buy it, the guy was about $100 too proud of it.

I don't know what the standard length of pull was, but it could be a bit shorter than normal now. Remember the average sized human was a lot shorter 100 years ago.

Robert

Beau Cassidy
10-21-2012, 10:55 PM
The one I saw had a flat buttstock- not crescent. I might go get it.

starmac
10-21-2012, 11:27 PM
I traded for a model 8, 20 some odd years ago, because my uncle wanted it. I wish I had at least shot it before I gave it to him. lol

Haggway
10-25-2012, 09:59 PM
I have one in 32 remington, and would love to get it shooting.

pietro
10-27-2012, 07:47 AM
Many older rifle were issued with short stocks, because they were expected to be used when heavy Winter clothing was worn.

One of the better deals I got was from a gunshop that had a pristine Savage 99 tagged @ $250 because it had a 13" LOP "short stock" and "was a shame that it had the stock cut".

I took one look at the "S-curve" in the buttplate & stock end, and knew it was factory - sure enough, when I got the rifle home & checked my old Savage catalogs, the LOP was specified as 13" ! !

webradbury
11-04-2012, 11:35 AM
I'd love to have one too but they are exceedingly rare in eastern NC...I've only seen one twenty years ago in a gunshop. I saw two sell at an online auction about a month ago for $400 apiece which I thought was a steal...they looked to be in great shape. I'd also love to have a Winchester 1907 self loader.

2152hq
11-13-2012, 01:06 AM
I have 2 early Model 8 Remingtons (1910 &1911). They have the hard rubber butt plates on them with the slight curve to them. The LOP on both is right at 14 inches.

Mostly you'll see the curved steel butt plate with the butt plates tang that's on the bottom of the stock. Done as a reinforcement to the wood at the toe from being damaged. Common when wearing one of the earlier hard rubber (brittle) butt plates.
There's a couple of other butt plates that were available but are rarely seen. IIRC they used an S shaped rifle style plate and a checkered steel butt plate too,,probably more special order than anything.
Original recoil pads?? I don't know. The M8 went out of production about 1936 or so. So a vintage pad would have to be a No-Shoc or something like that. I'm sure Remington would have obliged any wishes the customer had.

Many of these have the butt stock cut. Cutting the wood back reduces the size of the butt face because of the angle of the bottom line of the wood (true for most any gun stock).
Re-fitting the original butt plate can be done but it's not an easy job.
The curve of the hard rubber or the steel plate is difficult for the average person to refit after sawing the wood off straight.
The hard rubber is the easier of the two to do and make look right. The curved steel with the tang immediately doesn't fit right in many places and takes some major wood and metal work to refit.
Usually easy to spot.

451 Pete
11-13-2012, 09:05 AM
Beau,

I grew up deer hunting in Michigans U.P. with my dad. Dad and mom had built a hunting cabin there in the late 1940's and dads deer rifle was the Remington Model 8 in the 35 Remington cal. Because my father was a big man he had the stock replaced to lengthen the pull, he had added a 2 1/2 power Weaver scope on a side mount and had the magazine made removable by a gunsmith that did a very good job of doing that. With the silver tip hunting bullets he shot out of it the rifle never failed to down any deer that he hit. I remember his hunting buddy's teasing him a bit once that he needed a sled to take that rifle out into the woods. When dad passed away I became the caretaker of his Model 8.

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o589/451pete/petesguns052-Copy.jpg Dads Model 8

I have shot the rifle and because of it's weight I dont feel that the recoil is excessive. It does shoot very well and functions reliably.

For more information on Remingtons Model 8 you may want to check out this site.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=remington+model+8&view=detail&id=7D014EC404CA080BF66A7FE8E43277F6A0E4763B&first=0&qpvt=remington+model+8&FORM=IDFRIR

They are a very interesting and a good rifle. I dont think you will be disappointed with one.

Pete

Beau Cassidy
11-14-2012, 02:03 PM
Very nice!

Frank46
11-17-2012, 12:09 AM
Well they must be pretty rare here in Louisiana. In almost 17 years I have only seen one. While it did have some nice wood on it there looked to be a lot of scratches on the front end where you have to take some stuff apart to get the bbl off. Bit high in price as I remember as well. Frank

Beau Cassidy
11-17-2012, 10:16 PM
I went by the gunstore today to contemplate buying it but it was gone. Things happen for a reason and I just have to accept it. I will have one someday.

texassako
11-17-2012, 11:12 PM
If you have not checked it out, The Great Model 8 & 81 (http://thegreatmodel8.net/) has lots of reading on the models, history, and a forum. I have several and they are fun rifles, especially the .25 which is mild enough for more of the clank and sproing to be heard at each shot.