PDA

View Full Version : Got Another Ingot Mold

Beau Cassidy
10-21-2012, 11:08 AM
This just shows that casting is a never ending obsession. Frequently I will go to antique stores just to look. You never know what you will come across. Well since I am alone up here in Maine I went driving around yesterday and ended up in an junky antique store- more like junk store- in Brunswick. Most of the booths in this joint looked like they were run by hoarders. One particular booth was just junk stacked on top of junk. Nothing had a tag. The guy running it looked one step up from homeless. The moral of this is the good stuff is found in places just like this.

So I have been looking for another/more ingot molds. I have seen several styles usually made by Griswold which must be the H&G of ironware. They usually run about $40 or so. At that price I have always passed. In the above mentioned junk pile lay a good candidate for becoming an ingot mold. Since there was no price on it I told myself I wasn't gonna pay more than $10. Turns out that is exactly what the guy wanted. I guess I could have talked him down some but really didn't see the point. I gave him a $10 and tried not to smile while doing it.

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/OrthoNP/2012-10-20_16-15-07_556.jpg

It should clean up nicely and join the expanding arsenal soon.

Dale53
10-21-2012, 11:51 AM
That looks like a good piece and should work well as an ingot mould.

Dale53

Le Loup Solitaire
10-21-2012, 01:44 PM
It looks very much like one of the gem pan molds made by Griswold (and Wagner). The writing on the back will say which, if there is any. If marked it is worth far more than $10. Many variations were made in the era between 1900 and 1957 with different markings and cutouts. If Griswold it would have the pattern number 950 somewhere on it. It is an excellent ingot mold and also makes real good bread rolls for any occasion. SWMBOS usually impound them forcibly for kitchen use. LLS

soli
10-24-2012, 07:03 PM
I saw one like that at a flea market Last month,they wanted $25 for it wish I had bought it.

Lance Boyle
11-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Sounds like some of the antique places by me, lots of old but broken and maybe shabbily repaired items. Dietz lanterns with rust holes in tank bottom for $65, nice cast bronze pointer dog with busted and soldered back on tail for $125, M1 helmet of post WW2 vintage for $250, M6 bayonet for $100, M1 cut down bayonet for $200. I have a hard time finding non broken stuff in antique stores. last cool item I saw was a WW2 vintage lifeboat compass in a hardwood box. The alcohol or mineral oil in the case had tinted and rusted the compass face pretty good. I had to tell the antique dealer what he had on that one.

warf73
11-05-2012, 01:23 AM
Looks like an old time Ice tray, should work great for lead grats on the find.