PDA

View Full Version : Lyman L/S top punches

klw
06-04-2007, 09:12 PM
RCBS, alas, has stopped making custom top punches for their (and Lyman's) lubricator/sizers. Buffalo Arms takes some RCBS and Lyman stuff and machines it to form slightly different parts. BUT does anyone just make custom top punches for these two machines?

Phil
06-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Easiest thing in the world. Take a top punch of the caliber you're working with and drill the nose out a bit. Apply bedding compound release agent to the bullet you want the top punch to fit, and set it in the die (already in the luber), put some bedding compound in the top punch cavity and lower the punch gently down on to the bullet. Go away for a day or so and remove the top punch, trim the excess bedding compound, and you have a custom fit top punch.

Cheers,

Phil

klw
06-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Some of us, alas, are complete clucks when it comes to anything mechanical. Last time I changed the oil in my car, at least 35 years ago now, I had blood dripping off almost everything. So does anyone do this work?

Mallard57
06-04-2007, 10:21 PM
I can't think of anyplace I've seen custom top punches and an internet search didn't show anyplace either. I know you said you didn't want go the" fill the top punch with bedding compound" routine which seems easy enough, but someone on this forum posted an easier way. I would imagine a round nose top punch might work best but I'm guessing, you take paper or foil and wad it up in the nose of the top punch. Now seat a bullet with it, the paper or foil conforms to the bullet nose profile. Good Luck in however you address the problem.
Jeff

crazy mark
06-04-2007, 11:26 PM
Find a machinist that will make them for you out of aluminum stock. Lot faster than trying to make them out of steel. Also someone posted about using JB weld and other such substances. Mark

Phil
06-05-2007, 06:55 AM
Hi KLW,

I'd gladly glass one for you at no charge but I'm afraid your postage costs both ways would be outta sight. Up to you, let me know what you decide.

Cheers,

Phil

LarryM
06-05-2007, 05:42 PM
I've had some success using hot glue to temporarily modify a top punch to stui my needs.

45r
06-05-2007, 06:39 PM
i use lee push through sizers first and then heat treat at 445 degrees.apply gas checks at same time if called for also.water quench,smooth out lee sizer with bore lapping compound also to make sizing less distorting.easy to do by wrapping cloth over nylon brush.after boolits been sitting for week or two they can be lubed easy by using die one thou over lee die with top punch thats been bedded.group sizes shrank noticebly nose sizing first and using lars carnuba red and no leading at all.