PDA

View Full Version : LEE Factory Crimp Die: .45ACP/.45Auto Rim

GLL
10-20-2012, 11:43 PM
I visited a friend today who was in the process of loading .45ACP. He was using a LEE Factory Crimp Die. I noticed the box and instructions that came with the die indicated the die was for both .45ACP and .45 Auto Rim. It said the single die would taper crimp the .45ACP and roll crimp the .45AR. I do not load .45ACP. Can someone explain how a single die makes two different crimps on brass that is the same length? I have never used a LEE FC Die before !

Jerry

RobS
10-21-2012, 12:00 AM
I am not much on the straight wall, non collet type, Lee FCD's but I know my old one that I cut the carbide ring out of was only a taper crimp (no ring in the crimp sleeve, just a smooth taper). I do know that a person can take a roll crimp die and adjust it to just fold the brass into the boolit i.e. very light crimp for a roll crimp die. I do however like the bottle neck collet style Lee Factory Crimp dies and use them for my 375 H&H and used them for my 30 cal rifle loading.

Dale53
10-21-2012, 12:08 AM
I called Lee (some time ago) and asked about a roll crimp insert for the factory crimp die in .45 ACP. I wanted to use heavier bullets with a crimp groove for my .45 ACP revolvers when loading Auto Rim cases. They stated the .45 Colt insert WITH AN ADAPTER would work fine. The two parts (crimp die insert and adapter) cost about $7.50 and work perfectly.

FWIW
Dale53

GLL
10-21-2012, 12:32 AM
Thank you Dale ! LEE needs to include that information in the little instruction sheet. They give the impression the die makes a roll crimp as-is although it is difficult to accept that !

Jerry

3006guns
10-21-2012, 10:20 AM
First of all, I'm a big RCBS fan and considered Lee products to be just "O.K."

Ironically I had the reverse problem with an RCBS .45 auto die. I had it set for a firm taper crimp, but just as it ended the stroke it suddenly tried to do a roll crimp. The result was a very slight case bulge and none of the rounds would chamber. No matter how much I tried to adjust that thing it simply wouldn't work...either too little crimp or way too much.

I ordered a Lee die and for $11.00 that solved the problem for good. All die manufacturers make good products............Lee just does it at a discount.