PDA

View Full Version : RCBS JR Press

Alan in Vermont
10-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Years ago my first press was a JR, about $40 at that time. I just bought one on ebay. It's going to be part of an outfit I'm putting together for my son. He has left his Pro-2000 with me and now feels a need to reload in his new home in Cincinatti(sp). So, I'm trying to spend wisely and get what he needs to reload 38 Sp, 44 Sp, and 45 ACP along with 270 Win.

I received the JR yesterday. The paint has peeled in places but it's tight. It will be a while before the whole outfit heads out to him so I'm making sure it works right while it's here. I clamped it down tonight and did a bit of a proof test. Lil' sucker will FL size 338 Norma Mag brass. It takes two hands on the handle but it will do it.

I had forgotten just how nice a small press they are. I've used the newest RCBS small press, the aluminum Partner, and it is OK for light stuff but pretty well maxes out with 30-30 and 223 sizing. Not a lot of room in there for your fingers either. The JR, while heavier, is way more press. The partner belongs to a buddy, on loan to see how I liked it. I won't be buying one now, I'll keep watching for another JR so I can have a utility press here for when I want to fuss with stuff without running over the my buddy's house where my gear is set up along with his.

Pressman
10-21-2012, 07:19 AM
Alan, get a JR3 rather than a 2. The 2 has smaller threaded shank on the handle and will break when sizing large rifle cases. The 3 can take the load, no sweat.
Ken

Sasquatch-1
10-21-2012, 08:04 AM
My first press was a JR3. I have not been disappointed. I have even heard of people doing light swaging with it.

bruce drake
10-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Pressman,

Not meaning to hijack a thread but to add to the discussion, RCBS said last week that they would rethread my JR3 Toggle Block to fit the newer Reloader Special 5 handle with the ball grip for just a few dollars. Would that modification work for the JR2 to upgrade it as well?

Bruce

Pooch
10-21-2012, 09:37 AM
My first press was alsp a JR back in the early seventies. I loved that press. I loaded many, many .357 mags., .270 Win., .300 Savage & .308 Win. & .32 Special with it.

mold maker
10-21-2012, 10:39 AM
I too started out with an RCBS Jr press in the late 60s. It is still mounted and regularly used. They are tough and versatile.

Wayne Smith
10-21-2012, 12:52 PM
My first press is too, and used it for years. Formed 8mm06 brass with it with no problems. Actually die rather a lot of brass forming with it, come to think of it. Since I got the Hollywood and the Bair Brown Bair I guess I have left my first love. It is still on the bench.

Alan in Vermont
10-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Alan, get a JR3 rather than a 2. The 2 has smaller threaded shank on the handle and will break when sizing large rifle cases. The 3 can take the load, no sweat.
Ken

The one I just got is JR2. I'm pretty sure it's the same model I bought in 1970. Any idea what the thread size is on a 3? Just eyeballing the handle on the 2 it looks like 1/2" x 20 thread.

I'll watch for a 3 for one to keep for myself, if one doesn't come along for the right price I'll settle for another 2, I already have a Rockchucker for the heavy lifting.

Pressman
10-21-2012, 03:50 PM
The 2 is 1/2"x20, the 3 is 9/16" What is on the RS5 handle I do not know.
Ken

hunter64
10-21-2012, 04:38 PM
My first press was the Jr also, it has a 73 date on it. Only thing I have modified is changed the bike handle bar to a ball handle and that is it. I use it once in a while for odd jobs but mainly use my Rockchucker 2 for case forming and small runs.