PDA

View Full Version : "New" HUMONGOUS Herter's Swaging Press!!

newfoundlander
06-04-2007, 05:51 PM
I just acquired a Herter's Model 0 Super Press on ePrey. Am I correct in assuming the RCBS Herters adapter can also be used on top of this beast's 1 1/2" wide ram if I want to use standard shellholders? Also, anybody know if there was supposed to be a bushing with this piece? There doesn't appear to be one in the images and I want to use this press with standard threaded dies .

http://www.imagehost.ca/is.php?i=16515&img=c620_1_b.jpg

Swagerman
06-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Congrats, you got one great press, and it has the two position linkage to the big ram.

That feature is very useful while swaging, if you're into bullet swaging like I am with mine.

I had built this strange looking bullet ejector that automatically ejects the swaged bullet out of a swaging die on the up stroke.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/PB090013rtp700X.jpg

only1asterisk
06-04-2007, 06:49 PM
I think I have an extra Herter's bushing here if you need it.

David

newfoundlander
06-04-2007, 06:56 PM
The piece also comes with a second ram but once again the pics leave a lot to be desired so I can't tell if it's a clone. Were diferent rams available for these or did somebody think he actually needed a spare? I know I'm all questions right now but It's gonna be a while before the piece arrives and need to know what I'm going to need to use regular dies and holders. I already swage with an A2 and plan to use the Herter's for case forming duties.

floodgate
06-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Newfie:

For info on Herters' presses and other reloading items, contact my good friend Ken Neeld at <Herters@netins-net> or post on the message board under "20th Century Tools" at <www.antiquereloadingtools.com>. He's our "go-to guy" on loading equipment from the Mid-20th Century.

floodgate

floodgate
06-04-2007, 10:46 PM
Newfie:

(Is that an acceptable shortening of your "handle?)

Our Herter's guru has responded to my forwarding of the previous entries as follows:

"Aah, the Super “O” as opposed to the O3 Super which was a reinforced Model 3. It is quite a beast.

Answers to questions: No, they did not have a bushing. They were threaded 7/8-14 directly into the frame.

The need for a second ram? Could be just a spare, or it could have an owner modification. Sometimes that occurred when using some of the aftermarket shellholder adapters. The adapter is too tall and will not allow the ram to go full stroke on the handle, preventing max leverage.

There is also a two position pivot pin arrangement that shortens ram stroke by about 40 percent for more power during swaging."

So, you've got your answers, I think, and most, if not all, of your assumptions turned out correct. Keep us in mind if you (or anyone else here) ever decides this monster is surplus to your needs; we are working towards an eventual "museum" to house these chunks of not-all-that-recent reloading history (most of the reloading tool collector fraternity is still locked into the 19th Century, or maybe at best up to WW I.)

floodgate

TAWILDCATT
06-06-2007, 02:22 PM
the spare ram may be for lyman/rcbs shell holders.I think there was a replacement that could be had.to convert I think c & h made them

TAWILDCATT
06-07-2007, 02:15 PM
go to C & H web site they have the spare rams and the converter shell holder
when you get press try regular shell holder in spare ram/or one on press.:coffee: :Fire:

newfoundlander
06-12-2007, 08:34 AM
[SIZE="3"]Mucho thanks to all for the rpelys and info! to say I'm stoked about receiving this piece would be an understatement as I've been looking for one for years.

I've been meaning to contact CH about their rams as it also occured to me the "spare" included with the sale might be made to accept universal shellholders. However I'm not so sure CH made any rams for this model. There were so few of this model made and their rams were, correct me if I'm wrong, oversized and uinique. Either way when I get the beast I'll certainly update this post./SIZE]

Swagerman
06-12-2007, 11:45 AM
With the extra ram you could addapt it to take the regular standard shellholder the industry uses today.

Have fun, enjoy it. :drinks:

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/PB090012.jpg

Char-Gar
06-12-2007, 03:09 PM
I have a U-3 Super. The top is sorta like a cast iron quart oil can with about 1/3 cut away for access to the ram. Herter's was not cheap with the iron.

dr zero
06-13-2007, 12:33 PM
I just acquired a Herter's Model 0 Super Press on ePrey. Am I correct in assuming the RCBS Herters adapter can also be used on top of this beast's 1 1/2" wide ram if I want to use standard shellholders? Also, anybody know if there was supposed to be a bushing with this piece? There doesn't appear to be one in the images and I want to use this press with standard threaded dies .

http://www.imagehost.ca/is.php?i=16515&img=c620_1_b.jpg

Ah Ha! you are the one who got it.

I was looking at that one but it got away.

GLL
06-14-2007, 10:11 AM
Off the topic at hand !

Are these coils of pure lead what you guys use to swag your bullets? I hate to melt it down if it is useable to someone to swag here in southern California. Too heavy and expensive to ship.

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/66E2823EB8D50F6/standard.jpg

threett1
06-14-2007, 05:35 PM
That press looks just absolutely awesome.:mrgreen:

ChrisK
06-29-2007, 06:02 PM
Are these coils of pure lead what you guys use to swag your bullets? I hate to melt it down if it is useable to someone to swag here in southern California. Too heavy and expensive to ship.

You can actually ship lead fairly cheap. The postal service has a "flat rate" box that you can load to your hearts contents and it's only $8.95 to ship. When shipping lead bullets, I can usually get about 65#'s in. The Post man isn't real happy about it, but it's the most cost effective way to ship.