PDA

View Full Version : am i a redneck!!

Lloyd Smale
10-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Had to chuckle today. Was heading to camp with the grandson and wife in the pickup. got just out of town on a back road and got flagged over by a guy who hit a deer with his navigator. Really yuppy. He was panicing because the deer was still flopping around on the road. I grabbed my glock 23 and popped it in the head. He looked at me slack jawed. I then proceded to carve the hind quarters and back straps out of it. He was about white in the face by then. I asked him if he wanted some venison and he actually turned away and said no! he must have thought he was in deliverance!!

Roger Ronas
10-20-2012, 04:28 PM
That's funny.

10 ga
10-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Been there and done that, however I didn't have anything but my trusty Buck Lite. Deer had broke back, easy to do the throat cut and looked up and all the rubberneckers were leaving PDQ, cept the guy with a mashed up beamer. Called the sheriffs dept to report the accident and kill and had the whole deer to myself. So many people don't know how to feed themselves or where food really comes from. It was nice to get a hide that didn't have holes in it. Best to all, 10 ga

lead
x

Crawdaddy
10-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Nothing wrong with road kill. I total a company car by hitting a deer. Called the game warden, said he would be by that night to inspect it. Charged me fifteen bucks for the deer. Not a bad deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

starmac
10-20-2012, 05:48 PM
I don't know the why's behind it, but you don't want to get caught taking a road kill moose here.

geargnasher
10-20-2012, 06:03 PM
I'm surprised the Yuppy didn't dial 9-1-1 on his cell phone and paint a tale of murder and mayhem. Gotta watch those idiots.

I've eaten more than one that I hit in the road, they're thick around here at night. Actually called the DPS once on a whitetail I hit in-season and asked them about it, they sent out a Trooper and he told me to tag it and take it home since I had my license with me, even though there were a few technicalities forbidding it. Nice when you come across a reasonable LEO.

Texas is supposed to have some sort of "feed the hungry" program for fresh road kill, but I've never been able to confirm it.

Gear

mainiac
10-20-2012, 06:29 PM
Nothing wrong with road kill. I total a company car by hitting a deer. Called the game warden, said he would be by that night to inspect it. Charged me fifteen bucks for the deer. Not a bad deal.

You got to be kiddin,,warden charge you 15 bucks to keep the animal that wrecked your vehicle??

WOW,,,,,

Sweetpea
10-20-2012, 07:17 PM
Here in Utah it is considered poaching to take roadkill... but some officers have a brain and couldn't care less!

LEADHOPPER
10-20-2012, 07:32 PM
starmac,

if I recall when I was at Eielson AFB, they had a road kill list that you had to be on. They would start at the top of the list and start making phone calls until someone of the list said that they would come and get it.

LH

starmac
10-20-2012, 08:23 PM
starmac,

if I recall when I was at Eielson AFB, they had a road kill list that you had to be on. They would start at the top of the list and start making phone calls until someone of the list said that they would come and get it.

LH

Yea they have people that they call and can legally take them, which is fine by me.

But it can be 300 miles north of town, where nobody would ever drive up there to get it and you are still in deep chit for picking one up. lol

stubshaft
10-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Yea they have people that they call and can legally take them, which is fine by me.

But it can be 300 miles north of town, where nobody would ever drive up there to get it and you are still in deep chit for picking one up. lol

Besides tourists, when was the last time you saw a Yuppie in your neck of the woods?

Lloyds Yuppie probably expected him to cart it off the the Vet! instead of the freezer.

starmac
10-20-2012, 11:04 PM
Believe it or not, we have them here too. The university for one draws and breeds them. lol

tomme boy
10-20-2012, 11:13 PM
I'm on the list for our county from the Sheriffs office. Have not been called yet this year. I might just have to call to make sure. I got 4 of them last year.

Here, you have to have a tag from the sheriff or any LEO, or DNR. If you see one someone hit and it is flopping around, you can not put it out of its misery. They can and have given tickets for poaching. I know the DNR in our county and he told me to never shoot one. They don't care if you shoot it if they are there, most of them are p*ssies.

You should have seen it when a semi trailer hauling pigs tipped over on an icy evening one night. It ripped a hole threw the side an top. Boy was that funny watching them round up the pigs. One officer shot one pig 7 times before he finally killed it. 4 of the shots hit the ground an never touched the pig. I ended up with two other wreckers flipped it back on its wheels an pulled it out. Ended up with half a hog on that one.

Crawdaddy
10-20-2012, 11:19 PM
You got to be kiddin,,warden charge you 15 bucks to keep the animal that wrecked your vehicle??

WOW,,,,,

State law. Can't give away state property. Often wondered if the state is responsible for the damage their property causes.

I didn't mind, there was $300 in meat.

MBTcustom
10-20-2012, 11:23 PM
I pick up deer every year. Its where half our meat comes from.
And yes, I play banjo.

Jim Flinchbaugh
10-21-2012, 12:16 AM
illegal to pick up here (but only if you get caught) also cuttin' the horns off a road kill will get you a night in the pokey.

starmac
10-21-2012, 12:41 AM
The way I understand it, the list here is folks that will come out and dress one for folks that need the meat. Like I mentioned I am fine with that, but I do have a problem with them persuing charges against someone that salvages the meat 2 or 3 hundred miles from town, when they wouldn't even call the folks to come and salvage it.

Dennis Eugene
10-21-2012, 12:50 AM
There's only like 165 State troopers in all of Alaska. But you are supposed to be on the list to take road kill moose, and you can take it for your own personal use if your on said list, or turn it over to the needy it yours do with it what you want as long as it's not wanton waste. On the other hand if your really 200 miles from town one could and should take it. If you have a real problem then take it to town and turn it over. Dennis

hithard
10-21-2012, 01:00 AM
Back straps and hind quarters fed my buddy and I all through college. Local highway patrolman stopped a few times on us just to see how things were going. Told us the first time it was best if we were unarmed while meat shopping. Never said a word about the beer though.

I have to move back to the country!

Frank46
10-21-2012, 01:06 AM
Saw a semi alive alligator on the road and since my buddy was driving told him it was still kicking. Someone must have run over him. The tail meat is real good deep fried. Unfortunately there was a state trooper right behind us at the time. Maybe just as well since you have to be licensed to take alligator. Frank

Mooseman
10-21-2012, 01:55 AM
I am on the Roadkill list here...If you strike a moose on the hiway, you are required to report it , and if you see a dead Moose or Caribou, you call the troopers with a location. If you are on the list they may tell you to harvest it. Sometimes 2 people get dispatched to 1 roadkill so it gets worked out by the people onsite and possibly split.
Usually you get the call at midnite when it is -40 to -50 to drive 60 miles to get one... we gotta be tough to handle it at those conditions, but to me moose meat is worth it, especially when we have a poor hunting season.
The worst scenario is when a semi-truck broadsides one and runs over it...its a mess.
We also must drag the hide and guts out of sight into the woods or it is considered littering.That is always fun in 4-6 ft of snow.

Tom W.
10-21-2012, 03:47 AM
My son hit a deer once with his mother's car. I called the local game warden and he said if I wanted the deer to take it home and clean it, which we did.

Wal'
10-21-2012, 05:48 AM
Most road kill down here in Oz are our roo's which usually means a trip to the local panel beaters unless you have a large bull/roo bar up front.

No road kill lists here.

Our country interstate truckers can take out dozens on an overnight trip & the local councils have the clean up job.

If you're unfortunate enough to take out a steer on the road all hell breaks loose as the owner is the one responsible for damage & cleanup, thats if he doesn't get to the carcase first & its identity tags mysteriously disappear. :lol:

:castmine:

Lloyd Smale
10-21-2012, 06:03 AM
your actually suppose to get a permit from the dnr here too but its free. I dont think anyone ever does though. Its one of those laws that nobody inforces. the police a happy to have you do it. Ive even had one stop and shoot the !!!! with me while i cut one up. there happy because they dont have to get there clean fingernails dirty dragging them off the highway. Id bet though that that yuppie had some story to tell when he got back to Ohio, bet it even got embelished a bit!

Lloyd Smale
10-21-2012, 06:40 AM
two hind quarters are in a brine solution right now. my first attempt at venison ham.

Taylor
10-21-2012, 06:57 AM
I had a similar situation some years ago.I was actually coming from a not so successful hunting trip.Came upon this car/deer accident,a little old ladie,a brand new state trooper on the scene.She had hit a young doe and he was filling out the report.Well I stopped,walked over to them,asked the trooper if I could have it.After a few I guesses and I ain't sure,he finally said OK.I told him he should contact the TWRA tell them about the deer.The deer was laying in the ditch,in plain veiw.Pulled my buck knife and went to work.The old lady never batted an eye,the trooper turned the oddest shade of green.I thought he would lose all his donuts right then.Never seen a young black kid turn that color.Threw it in the trunk of the car and left him holding his stomach.

Jailer
10-21-2012, 07:34 AM
your actually suppose to get a permit from the dnr here too but its free. I dont think anyone ever does though. Its one of those laws that nobody inforces. the police a happy to have you do it. Ive even had one stop and shoot the !!!! with me while i cut one up. there happy because they dont have to get there clean fingernails dirty dragging them off the highway. Id bet though that that yuppie had some story to tell when he got back to Ohio, bet it even got embelished a bit!

We generally get the same thing around here, must be a small town thing. Every once in a while you'll get a LEO that is a bit uptight about it but most are real decent. Just don't shoot them to finish them off unless they tell you to.

Gliden07
10-21-2012, 08:30 AM
Had to chuckle today. Was heading to camp with the grandson and wife in the pickup. got just out of town on a back road and got flagged over by a guy who hit a deer with his navigator. Really yuppy. He was panicing because the deer was still flopping around on the road. I grabbed my glock 23 and popped it in the head. He looked at me slack jawed. I then proceded to carve the hind quarters and back straps out of it. He was about white in the face by then. I asked him if he wanted some venison and he actually turned away and said no! he must have thought he was in deliverance!!

Thats Funny!! That guy is the same guy that will go to a high end resturant order a big thick Steak tell ya how good it was, but God forbid don't let him know where it came from!! All meat comes from Plastic wraped foam trays at the Grocery store!! LOL!!

41 mag fan
10-21-2012, 09:53 AM
I'm surprised the Yuppy didn't dial 9-1-1 on his cell phone and paint a tale of murder and mayhem. Gotta watch those idiots.

I've eaten more than one that I hit in the road, they're thick around here at night. Actually called the DPS once on a whitetail I hit in-season and asked them about it, they sent out a Trooper and he told me to tag it and take it home since I had my license with me, even though there were a few technicalities forbidding it. Nice when you come across a reasonable LEO.

Texas is supposed to have some sort of "feed the hungry" program for fresh road kill, but I've never been able to confirm it.

Gear

You get hungry don't ya Gear??
If so, then TX has a feed the hungry program..... :redneck:

375RUGER
10-21-2012, 10:07 AM
I don't know the why's behind it, but you don't want to get caught taking a road kill moose here.

Something has changed. I remember as a kid seeing lots of moose get quartered out on the side of the road. Happened a lot within a few miles of where I lived, Ft. Richardson.

Beau Cassidy
10-21-2012, 10:45 AM
I will never forget about a paramedic who stopped in his ambulance one night to help somebody who had hit a deer. It was laying on the side of the road. Just for kicks, he started acting like he was performing CPR on it as traffic came by.

starmac
10-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Something has changed. I remember as a kid seeing lots of moose get quartered out on the side of the road. Happened a lot within a few miles of where I lived, Ft. Richardson.

They still get salvaged, but the troopers have to be notified, and they call someone on the list to come and take care of it. If you just happen to drive up on a road kill, you can't take it.

firefly1957
10-21-2012, 05:56 PM
I typed up a road kill story somewhere here before but I will tell you he is right about the yuppie he wanted a vet to look at it! And I can tell you never hit a deer on top of the head to dispatch it that only makes them mad and they will bite. A hard blow just below the year worked real well that time.

starmac
10-21-2012, 06:12 PM
I hit a horse in texas once. In hindsight I should have just walked back and put it out of it's misery first thing.

This was before daylight on my way to work. It took probably 20 minutes for the police to show up, they had to have a vet come to look at it and tell them it couldn't be saved. This could have been done driving by at 70 mph by any service station attendant.
We had to wait for over an hour after the vet was called before he got to the scene, Then the leo could put it down, but neither really wanted to do the killing.
Finally one leo decides he will put it out of it's misery, he holds his service pistol, closes his eyes and turns his head the other direction. He hit the head, but not even close to a killing shot.
At this point I lost it, and told him I would shoot it before he pulled that stunt again, but he found some nerves, or a heart or something and finished the job right. By this time the horse had been very slowly and painfully dieing for over 2 hours.

MT Gianni
10-21-2012, 07:05 PM
illegal to pick up here (but only if you get caught) also cuttin' the horns off a road kill will get you a night in the pokey.

Jim, The law changed about 10 years ago. You can now pick up your own road kill if it is in season and you use your tag. IOW, if you hit the buck of a lifetime on your way into camp you can use your A tag on it. Most of us continue to let them lay.

A friend one came upon a recently hit deer and a young mother with a car full of kids and a dinged up car. The buck had a broken back and so he walked up to it and slit it's throat while keeping his boot on the neck. The deer soon quit struggling and my pal walked back to the truck and his employee told him: "That was nice of you but most guys would have put their sandwich down". That for me got him votes for the redneck of the year.

I have hit 3 in the last 4 years and did not want any of them.

**oneshot**
10-21-2012, 07:28 PM
Hit with a truck or hit with a 308win. Avoid the damage and cut it up.

DRNurse1
10-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Here in Utah it is considered poaching to take roadkill... but some officers have a brain and couldn't care less!

Sorry Sweetpea but it can't be poaching if you spend more per pound than store bought beef costs.

Fixing your vehicle will likely cost $500 or more (unless you have one of those pipe bumpers and aim carefully). My least expensive hit was also my first 30 years ago: dented front quarter panel (do they still make them) and a cracked windshield=$475.

Elect wiser legislators out there.

starmac
10-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Sorry Sweetpea but it can't be poaching if you spend more per pound than store bought beef costs.

Fixing your vehicle will likely cost $500 or more (unless you have one of those pipe bumpers and aim carefully). My least expensive hit was also my first 30 years ago: dented front quarter panel (do they still make them) and a cracked windshield=$475.

Elect wiser legislators out there.

I have hit several, all but one was with a semi. There was either nothing much left, or I was way too far from home to keep the meat. One was on a motorcycle, no meat damage and less than 5 miles from home, and went in the freezer. lol

gray wolf
10-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Road kill = yummy, yummy
Julie and I, along with the two dogs would go a little hungry without a call from the sheriff once or twice a year. Just cut up a big Doe bout two weeks ago and the dogs have been chewing on Moose leg bones most of the day.
We have to be on a list also, we are on two, Get a call, go get the goods and a Leo tags it and home we go.

waksupi
10-22-2012, 12:01 AM
I was at a road house out in the country one Saturday night, and a tourist comes wandering in, saying he hit a black cow up the road a bit, and disabled his car. Someone offered to give him a ride into town to get a tow truck. This was back before cell phones, and I'm not sure if the saloon even had a phone.
We watched out the window until they had left the parking lot. Then several unnamed individuals piled out of the saloon, and into a pickup. It was easy to locate his vehicle, and the dead angus.
With a chainsaw, a cow can be quartered, loaded, and gone in a very short time.

mnkyracer
10-22-2012, 12:36 AM
Pulled up once to a deer lying in the road with her head up and no car around . She had 2broken legs, so I pulled her off to the side. Just as I was getting ready to slit, a car pulls up and put its headlights directly on me. I think "great, I can see what I'm doing now." All of a sudden, this woman is screaming "what did that deer ever do to you?" and commenced to bawling hysterically.

starmac
10-22-2012, 12:46 AM
You should have loaded it in her passenger seat with instructions to the hospital.

TXGunNut
10-22-2012, 01:44 AM
Here in TX roadkill isn't meat, it's a traffic hazard. Only legal act is to drag it off the road. Last time I hit a deer I bailed out with a gun to put it out of it's misery. That alone could have gotten me a citation.
Supposedly the officer working the incident will arrange to have it "donated to the hungry" but in all my 25 yrs as a LEO I never saw it happen. It's illegal to haul off and process a roadkill game animal in TX but if the situation arises and an officer happens along I'll simply ask where he wants the animal delivered.

starmac
10-22-2012, 02:21 AM
The only roadkill deer I ever salvaged was in madison county texas. I didn't know it was illegal, and I'm sure the statue of limitations has passed long ago. lol If not I guess they can extradite me. lol

Lloyd Smale
10-22-2012, 05:15 AM
sure wouldnt want to get caught cutting up someones dead cow with a chain saw!! that could get you shot!
I was at a road house out in the country one Saturday night, and a tourist comes wandering in, saying he hit a black cow up the road a bit, and disabled his car. Someone offered to give him a ride into town to get a tow truck. This was back before cell phones, and I'm not sure if the saloon even had a phone.
We watched out the window until they had left the parking lot. Then several unnamed individuals piled out of the saloon, and into a pickup. It was easy to locate his vehicle, and the dead angus.

x101airborne
10-22-2012, 01:59 PM
two hind quarters are in a brine solution right now. my first attempt at venison ham.

You are going to LOVE that deer ham!! It is my families favorite and what my WIFE asked me to make for her birthday party if you can believe that!

I hit a deer one night in my old ford pickup on the way to a party. A young pair of ladies were behind me and stopped to see if I was alright. I said I was, and the more I looked at my truck, the more mad I got. I hit the deer at 70 mph, so there was nothing worth saving. Knowing the highway patrol are real sticklers about headlights and stuff, I cut the head off for proof of when I hit the deer. One of the ladies watching turned away while I was cutting and the other commented "Oh, cool". I asked her out right there on the roadside and wound up dating her for about 9 months before she went back to college. She was a heck of a good girl.

starmac
10-22-2012, 02:01 PM
sure wouldnt want to get caught cutting up someones dead cow with a chain saw!! that could get you shot!

If it is not open range, most owners would love it if the evidence disappeared. lol

x101airborne
10-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Here in TX roadkill isn't meat, it's a traffic hazard. Only legal act is to drag it off the road. Last time I hit a deer I bailed out with a gun to put it out of it's misery. That alone could have gotten me a citation.
Supposedly the officer working the incident will arrange to have it "donated to the hungry" but in all my 25 yrs as a LEO I never saw it happen. It's illegal to haul off and process a roadkill game animal in TX but if the situation arises and an officer happens along I'll simply ask where he wants the animal delivered.

Yeah, TX Dept. of Wildlife used to take em for the Hunters for the Hungry program. Not anymore. They wont even provide processing if you want to donate a legally killed deer. The state is really going down hill fast.

waksupi
10-22-2012, 04:14 PM
Yeah, TX Dept. of Wildlife used to take em for the Hunters for the Hungry program. Not anymore. They wont even provide processing if you want to donate a legally killed deer. The state is really going down hill fast.

What bothers me more, is a food bank won't take a deer carcass. If the people are hungry, they will butcher it at home. I know I would.
Back when I worked for the state salmon hatchery here, the food bank got to where they would refuse them if they weren't cleaned. Well, we were bringing in a couple thousand salmon a night, so that wasn't going to happen. So we leaked the word out to the locals, mostly retired folks, and they would come to the lakes at night while we were netting, and lets just say their limit that we gave them was extremely liberal.

Just Duke
10-22-2012, 04:37 PM

They call that rustling where I'm from. CO.
Folks south of me seem to have some problems too. http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Cattle-Rustling-on-the-Rise-in-Texas-139882043.html

blackthorn
10-22-2012, 06:51 PM
Quote "also cuttin' the horns off a road kill will get you a night in the pokey."

If it's got "horns" it aint no Deer!!! Deer got antlers----COW got horns!!!
So maybe that's why the trip to the pokey???

x101airborne
10-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Quote "also cuttin' the horns off a road kill will get you a night in the pokey."

If it's got "horns" it aint no Deer!!! Deer got antlers----COW got horns!!!
So maybe that's why the trip to the pokey???

Well, part of being a redneck is we can call calcium and keratin growths of the scalpal and cranial protrusion through epidermis what the heck we want!!!! LOL!

Blacksmith
10-23-2012, 02:48 AM
They call that rustling where I'm from.

Depends where you live. Not far from here several years back a person or persons unknown opened the gate on a guys pasture, one of his horses got out and was hit by a drunk on the highway. The drunk was crippled in the accident and sued the horse owner. Cost the owner so much he lost his farm. He would have been better off if some French mimes had come along and disappeared his stock.

Adam10mm
10-23-2012, 03:49 AM
your actually suppose to get a permit from the dnr here too but its free. I dont think anyone ever does though. Its one of those laws that nobody inforces. the police a happy to have you do it.
State law says the sheriff's office or DNR has to give you a roadkill tag. In practice, they usually don't. Waste of time like you said. Officer discretion.

We generally get the same thing around here, must be a small town thing. Every once in a while you'll get a LEO that is a bit uptight about it but most are real decent. Just don't shoot them to finish them off unless they tell you to.
I shoot them and kill them as quickly as possible. Just get it done and over with. I've witnessed a roadkill hit several times, got out to check for injuries. None, so I looked at the deer flopping around, drew my pistol, and killed it with a headshot. Several I've done I salvaged the meat, called the authorities to let them know, and said I left a business card with my information on it stuffed in the ear canal.

That would make quite a mess! I saw a guy cut up a 1500lb+ draft horse with a chainsaw and the carcass wasn't frozen. Looked like Custer's last stand all over again.

KCSO
10-23-2012, 10:26 AM
Back when the kids were home we ate about 5 road kills a year. Back when I was makking a breastplate I had to stop and take the bones from every coon I came across too. I'm gussing the majoority of our members might actually be red necks too.

waksupi
10-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Depends where you live. Not far from here several years back a person or persons unknown opened the gate on a guys pasture, one of his horses got out and was hit by a drunk on the highway. The drunk was crippled in the accident and sued the horse owner. Cost the owner so much he lost his farm. He would have been better off if some French mimes had come along and disappeared his stock.

This is free range country here. Livestock can easily end up 40-50 miles away from headquarters. If they are branded, don't expect everyone to be able to read a brand and know who owns the brand, and if they have ear tags, good luck on doing a trace that way. The highway patrol guys sure won't hang around and butcher a dead animal. Being free range, if you hit it, YOU are responsible for your own damage, and the cost of the livestock generally.

Dale in Louisiana
10-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Back when I was on the staff at one of the local petrochem plants, I was on break one day and a guy I knew walked up.

Him: Hey, didn't you say your brother was doin' that taxidermy stuff? (This was true.)
Me: Why? (The guy was black and had never said anything about hunting in the ten years we'd worked together)
Him: I got a deer I wanna get stuffed. The head, you know.
Me, asking the obvious question: Since when did YOU start deer hunting?
Him: Didn't hunt 'im, man. He run out in front of my truck.

dale in Louisiana

Brad Phillips
10-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Was turtle trapping a few summers ago, drove to my mom and dads to show my nephew a nice big snapper. Left to go home (about 2 miles) get home and no turtle.

I had put in the back of the truck for the short ride and he must have climbed the wheel well and bailed. So, I back track and find a mom and a 10 'ish year old boy eyeballing my turtle. He is on the road, a little shook up but other wise fine.

I jump out of my truck, grab the turtle by the tail and say "thanks for finding my turtle" throw him in my tool box and drive off. In my mirror they are just standing there watching me drive off with a what just happened look on their face! PRICELESS

Down South
10-23-2012, 09:17 PM
I believe it's legal in Louisiana to keep road kill now. That's what I've been told. But regardless I've kept every one that I could. Between the wife and I, we have nailed 6 so far.
I remember late one night when a buddy and I were heading to south Louisiana for crew change, heading to work out in the Gulf of Mexico. We came up on a deer that someone had just hit. It was broke down in the back. I grabbed a big end wrench out of my toolbox and one good wack to the head finished it off.
He asked, what are we going to do with it? Well, I said, we are gonna carry it to work with us. I don't believe he thought I was serious. We drug the deer up in the back of the truck and I stopped by one of those open all night shop & rob stores and bought three styrofoam ice chest and several bags of ice.
I found a gravel road off the main drag and pulled down it. Then I found a good place to stop and we cleaned the deer, quartered it up and away we went. A hacksaw in the toolbox sure helps out in situations like this.
Anyway, we loaded the deer up on our crew change helicopter that morning and left for our rig. Between the rest of the crew and us, we ate the whole deer that hitch.
I hate to see good meat go to waste.

starmac
10-23-2012, 09:23 PM
Down South, It's is funny that a deer gets devoured where good steaks are free. lol Ya gotta love it.

Crash_Corrigan
10-23-2012, 09:50 PM
They are really serious about deer up in Vermont. One morning a deer leaped over my truck whilst I was going about 35 MPH on a lonely dirt road. He cleared the cab but fell afoul of a homemade wooden canoe rack I had built onto the back of the bed.

I broke one of it's legs and he was a thrashing and trying to get up onto his 3 good legs when a 158 GR LSWC boolit in the ear put him out of his misery.

I called the State Troopers and they came out lickety split with lights and sirens. The trooper examined the damage to my truck (just a couple of split 2 x 4's) at the rear of the truck and explained....."If the deer hit you forwards of the rear door edge of the cab you will owe the state for the deer and it is your fault....however if the deer hit you behind the rear edge of the cab door then the deer is yours."

I did not quibble and he even helped me to load the deer into the truckbed. The following week he got a 20 lb package of venison steaks dropped off at the local Trooper barracks.

After that incident my name was gold amongst the Vermont State Police Troopers. I was an insurance adjuster and this profession caused me to have a lot of contact with the Troopers involving accidents and reports and such.

They are a close knit group and from then onwards until I moved out West in '88 I was treated like royalty every time I went into a barracks seeking cooperation.

My ex came to Vermont and had the Troopers stop me and she took the pickup as she had the title. I removed my plates and all my belongings and the Trooper drove me home to get my Fiance and her car whilst another stood guard on my gear.

Everything I had installed on the truck came off including a decent set of air horns, seat covers, tape deck, speakers etc. I even took the bumper jack that I had bought for it along with the chain and come along and all my tools which I always carried.

My ex got a stripped truck without plates. She could not even drive it as she never learned how to master a clutch along with a lot of other things. She had it towed to wrecking yard and she sold it for scrap to a local scrapper. He knew the truck and he called me immediately. I got the entire truck back for $125 and the good title to boot.

When the divorce was finally settled I got $1500 back in the settlement for the value of the truck.

Justice was served.

JIMinPHX
10-23-2012, 10:03 PM
I once met a guy from NJ that hit a deer on Meriden Road in Split Rock with his 2-week old Explorer. He was kind of down about crunching up his brand new truck, but it was buck season & he had a tag in the glove box, so he tagged it & took it, figuring that at least he would get something out of the mess. The problem was that the critter woke up & then proceeded to total that truck from the inside.

I also once saw a deer with an arrow in it that was tied to the top of a car driving up I-84 in Connecticut on opening day of bow season. That critter woke up too, when enough wind blew in it's face. That guy lost me in traffic before I could flag him down & tell him what was up. I hope that things worked out better for him than the guy in my first paragraph.

JIMinPHX
10-23-2012, 10:14 PM
We came up on a deer that someone had just hit. It was broke down in the back. I grabbed a big end wrench out of my toolbox and one good wack to the head finished it off.

I used to think that my little brother was a bit on the rough side for engaging in hand to hoof combat with a buck knife. You just put a whole new spin on that perspective for me.

Christorbust
10-23-2012, 10:29 PM
These stories are hilarious, as anyone who lives even remotely in the country has dealt with this.

I've had several. Once my buddy and I happened on a deer that was freshly hit, and she was flopping and kicking pretty good in the middle of the road, but wasn't going to make it. We had a pen knife, but good clothes on and neither of us fancied her hooves. We brilliantly thought that we could run its head over with my jeep. I think it just made the doe more alive, as we were parked on its head and it was kicking the floor panels. We horridly backed up over her again, but it still didn't kill her. We ended up having to back up far enough to get going around 50 and the tire over the neck did it. I could not tell you how many times we ran over that deer trying to put it out of its misery; we didn't talk the rest of the way home.

My favorite story was when I was young with my dad and we happened on someone not from the country who had just hit a deer and he was besides himself with grief for its misery. Dad told the gentleman that we just lived up the road and he would get his deer rifle and put it out of its misery. Went and got the rifle, dad stretched it out towards the deer head, and looked away at the last second, he says to avoid blood spray, and shot. Blew the deer's ear off but it was still alive. I thought the gentleman was going to pass out. The worst part was dad only grabbed one bullet, so we had to drive home and back again! I definitely don't want any animal to suffer needlessly, but the situation was quite funny to me as a youngin.

starmac
10-24-2012, 12:16 AM
back before the days of store bought cross bed tool boxes, everyone just built them out of plywood usually.
My uncle shot a buck, right in the face with a shotgun. This was at the edge of town, and may have not even been deer season, so he hurriedly throws him in the tool box and goes home.
He pulled his pickup in the garage and closed the doors, but the buck was trying to destroy the toolbox. He called my other uncle to come help, while one opened the box, the other stood in the bed and hit him between the ears with the butt end of an axe. lol

I knew a guy that had just got out of the state pen, and couldn't legally be around a gun, but loved to hunt. He killed a buck, and had to drive threw downtown austin to get home. He didn't want to have it in the bed where people could see it, so he stretched it across the floorboard in the pickup. antlers were under his legs on the drivers side. When that deer woke up and started trying to get out. These guys were by now in traffic on Ben White blvd (used to pretty much be the main drag) The deer cut up the back of his legs pretty good before his cousin dinged it in the head with a trailer ball.

DRNurse1
10-24-2012, 12:31 AM
Neat thread. A funny thing happened on the way to work:

I stopped for a young lady who had impaled a whitetail in her Volvo's windshield. I observed this vehicle strike said four pointer about a ¼ mile ahead on a section of SR94 in western NJ and this driver managed to stop her vehicle on the shoulder without further damage. I pulled up to an apoplectic lass belted in the front seat with her daughter properly car seated amid ships in the rear, screaming with equal gusto. The unfortunate whitetail severed and artery and expired bathing the interior of the Volvo with its blood. I clearly heard the lady screaming,” I am dying,” through the soundproofed vehicle (well, there was the hole in the windshield partially plugged with hoof). I called the local constabulary and attempted to calm our driver and her child. The NJ State police arrived and called the conservation folks to remove the carcass, the tow company for the vehicle, and the ambulance for the occupants.

Damage: one Volvo windshield and a SERIOUS interior cleaning (imagine the face of the detailer on duty THAT day) and the loss of some of God's fine protein.

Thanks to all y'all for the great entertainment.

starmac
10-24-2012, 12:44 AM
Talk about needing some detailing (and new underware)
The first time I saw a picture of this it was in a scalehouse in the yukon. It is amazing the woman survived.

http://foryouandi.com/Entertainment/MooseCrash/

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-24-2012, 03:49 PM
here we have to call them in before we can touch them , it seems to take for ever depending on the responding department if you tell them the deer is still alive , it seems some may take their time hoping that it will die before they get there , or perhaps since these tentdto be less rural departments they are just busy with crime , either way i would go with yeah i think it is dead when you call it in

i asked my state rep about looking into a way to stream line the process so that deer could be picked up more easily , this was when i was driving to the city every day , so many deer hit just a few miles outside of Madison , he checked but the dnr wants a report filled out by a LOE they think to many people would poach and call it in as a road kill

some counties have a person who cleans the dead animals from the road others they get left till the fully decompose

my county has a list that once it is could enough and the sheriff gets a deer that they will call around and have some one come out and get it , the number of unreported car deer collisions seems high they list them all in the paper but you see more carcases than reports either they just need to get to work , or there may be a reason they don't want a cop to come out and check it out , like they hit it on the way home from the bar.

starmac
10-24-2012, 03:56 PM
I have never reported one that I have hit. The one that was close to home and was salvagable, I ate. If it isn't salvageble And lands in the way of traffic, I will drag it out of the road, but that is as much time I will waist on the scene.

Down South
10-24-2012, 06:52 PM
Down South, It's is funny that a deer gets devoured where good steaks are free. lol Ya gotta love it.

You know, you would be surprised how old eating beef steak can become when it is free and you can eat it every day.
I prize a good beef steak now. But I have to buy it and every time I cruise by the meat counter in the store, my eyes bulge out just looking at the prices of prime beef. I just go home and cook up some deer meat. I usually have enough to carry me from season to season.

mongo
10-25-2012, 12:49 AM
Hittin a deer with your vehicle is a bummer, A yuppy hittin the deer with his BMW and you gettin the meat is a win..

Lloyd Smale
10-25-2012, 06:51 AM
I eat ALOT of venison. Why? because is almost free for me. Have to admit though that id take a ribeye or tenderloin any day of the week over a venison steak!
You know, you would be surprised how old eating beef steak can become when it is free and you can eat it every day.
I prize a good beef steak now. But I have to buy it and every time I cruise by the meat counter in the store, my eyes bulge out just looking at the prices of prime beef. I just go home and cook up some deer meat. I usually have enough to carry me from season to season.

leftiye
10-25-2012, 06:50 PM
State law. Can't give away state property. Often wondered if the state is responsible for the damage their property causes.

I didn't mind, there was $300 in meat.

He just wanted a six pack or two.

Bulldogger
10-26-2012, 08:58 AM
As a kid, we lived on a country road in Indiana with a fair amount of traffic, not too far from town but close enough that townies used the road a lot. The nice gap in the woods and a nearby empty marsh/swamp meant deer loved crossing there. Townies would hit them during the rut and often leave, my mom was at home and would see the following cars slowing down to get around it. She talked a few of them out of the deer on the spot too. Over the years my tiny mother drug many deer down the 40' embankment (back before they put up guardrails!), drug them 150 yards to the house, threw a rope over the branch next to our tire swing and hung and gutted the deer. She'd call my Dad and tell him to come home without dawdling after work.

Dad and I hunted a little, didn't have anyone to show us how to do it well for big game, and we never got anything bigger than cottontails and woodchucks really. Since we raised chickens and rabbits, we didn't have to hunt.

I would bet that the local cops (1 sherrif and 1 deputy) can still recognize my mom's voice, from all the times she called to tell them she'd grabbed a deer. (She called for permission the first time and they told her to go ahead and grab future ones and just let them know.) It sure helped through the winters with 6 kids at home and Dad working a factory job. We ate a lot of venison and noodle casserole.

Dad got a LOT of ribbing at work and at church for his little squaw bringing home several hundred pounds more venison than he did!

Bulldogger

Ed Barrett
10-27-2012, 01:16 AM
I always found roadkill deer to be the most expensive meat per pound. Had a new pickup truck a few years ago, less than 1000 miles and hit a deer. did $1800.00 to grill and fender. Cost me $500.00 deductible, and it wasn't even a very big deer. Much prefer to use a cast bullet and my free Landowners tags.

fatnhappy
10-27-2012, 11:33 AM

did they return your chainsaw?

MT Gianni
10-27-2012, 11:39 AM
In NW MT 3 out of every 4 trucks have a chain saw in the back or behind the seat.

Down South
10-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by waksupi

Well, those good ole boys saved the cow owner from paying for the car damage. Where I live, your cow/horse gets out and gets hit, you pay the damage. But if the cow is gone when cops get there, finding the owner is pretty much impossible.

starmac
10-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Well, those good ole boys saved the cow owner from paying for the car damage. Where I live, your cow/horse gets out and gets hit, you pay the damage. But if the cow is gone when cops get there, finding the owner is pretty much impossible.

That depends if it is open range or not.

Try hitting a swayback old indian pony on the reservation, you will find out you just hit the next crown winner.

waksupi
10-27-2012, 06:48 PM
That was back in the real heydays of logging in this area. I suspect the percentage of chainsaws in trucks were much higher back then!

9.3X62AL
10-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Some years back, Buckshot and I were headed to northern NV together for either NCBS or a varmint hunt when we drove up on a collision scene about halfway up Sherwin Grade north of Bishop on U.S. 395. A semi-truck was pulled to the right, after having struck a black bear in the darkness. The bear was in bad shape, but still alive. The RIGHT thing to do would have been to grab a sideiron and put the poor critter out of its misery, but Cal-DFG can do bizarre s--t without much motivation--and the only felonies in the CA F&G Code involve bears and bear parts. I still feel badly about leaving that bear to suffer needlessly, but I'm not about to get on the wrong side of Cal-DFG if I can avoid it. Classic example of flawed legality--when doing the Right Thing and doing the Legal Thing aren't the Same Thing.

Down South
10-27-2012, 07:20 PM
That depends if it is open range or not.

That is correct. We went with stock laws about 15 yrs or so. It was plain dangerous before that. A lot of stock got hit. Tearing a car up isn't so bad but we had a few deaths and a lot of injuries.
Hit a deer, it usually goes in the grill. Hit a cow or horse, it rolls up across the hood lots of times.

dk17hmr
10-27-2012, 07:38 PM
your actually suppose to get a permit from the dnr here too but its free. I dont think anyone ever does though. Its one of those laws that nobody inforces.

Someone hit a really nice buck infront of my parent house when I was still in Michigan, they had just hit it when I was coming home and the police hadnt showed up yet. The deer was dead on impact and the guy didnt want anything to do with the dead buck in the ditch. They gave me a kill tag I took it out in our back 40 and gutted it out......some of the best deer meat we have ever had.

You are right about people not wanting to know where their hamburger comes from, although not really the case here in Wyoming, but I always try to clean out my game animals out of sight from the roads. Even if we get something 100 yards from a main road we load it up and take it down a two track.

kbstenberg
10-27-2012, 07:53 PM
One of the first deer I ever shot, I and the wife were steaking it out in my MIL's kitchen. My BIL came downstairs with his fiancé. I thought she was going to pass out on the floor. I guess her meat came in cellophane wrappers too.

Leadmelter
10-27-2012, 08:04 PM
Llyod
Let me guess, he was up in the "UP' looking and leaves and trying to find the "Pictured Rock" park.
He is lucky he hit a deer and not a moose with a wolf pack behing it.
Been to Munsing, nice spot.
Gerry
MI below the bridge.

Digger
10-27-2012, 11:24 PM
Some years back, Buckshot and I were headed to northern NV together for either NCBS or a varmint hunt when we drove up on a collision scene about halfway up Sherwin Grade north of Bishop on U.S. 395. A semi-truck was pulled to the right, after having struck a black bear in the darkness. The bear was in bad shape, but still alive. The RIGHT thing to do would have been to grab a sideiron and put the poor critter out of its misery, but Cal-DFG can do bizarre s--t without much motivation--and the only felonies in the CA F&G Code involve bears and bear parts. I still feel badly about leaving that bear to suffer needlessly, but I'm not about to get on the wrong side of Cal-DFG if I can avoid it. Classic example of flawed legality--when doing the Right Thing and doing the Legal Thing aren't the Same Thing.

Yes , you are right about the Cal-DFG ..... talking to a mechanic friend of mine ... seems they picked up an individual up behind Markleevile for "poaching" or some such ... with a deer in his possession .
They contacted my friend to come pick up the quad and trailer , another towing out fit for the truck ...
Fairly new one ton and the quad is a brand new Polaris with three of four hours on it , about 11,000 thousand dollars worth ...
they gave the person his license plates back.......:shock:

Guess the DFG wanted another plot for their tv show ..... heard mention that they wanted my friend to fix the trailer back to stock condition for their "own" use ..

digger

starmac
10-28-2012, 02:22 AM
Wasn't it last year that california was trying to nail one of their own game officials, because he had killed a lion on a legal guided hunt in idaho. Moonbats

SciFiJim
10-28-2012, 02:33 AM
Wasn't it last year that california was trying to nail one of their own game officials, because he had killed a lion on a legal guided hunt in idaho. Moonbats

Wasn't even last year. It was this year. I agree. The moonbats are in control of this state. It's a beautiful state, but I can't wait to move out when I retire.

Lloyd Smale
10-28-2012, 07:54 AM
No gerry worse yet. This guy owns property here. Let me start by saying that i dont think all the lower mich. indiana, ohio and illiniois people are yuppys theres good people there too but the yuppys seemed to be attracted to the UP. Seems like the wealthy yuppies like to settle here though, thankfully its usually just for the summer. this guy has a camp (if you can call it a camp) in a subdivision on Autrain Lake. Its one of those groups of camps that has a camp owners association and has some odd rules. In this one you have to build your camp just like everyone elses. they dont care what its like inside but the outside has to be log and it has to look like everyone elses. they also have a rule against ANY cutting of a tree. If you want to remove or trim a tree on YOUR OWN property you have to get permision from the association. We used to laugh our !!!!!! off at them when the power was out and we had to cut trees off the lines. theyd be out trying to tell us just what to cut so we didnt take to much and wed totaly ignore them and cut twice as much as was needed. Like clockwork theyd be in the office the next day complaining and our boss would just tell them that they had the options of either staying out of power, paying a tree service to remove the tree and have us come back at out leasure and put the power back on or pay for the cost of us comming out to restore the power. that would allways shut them right up. Ever notice how tight with there money people that have some are!! Heck theyve even infiltrated my family. My older sister is marrried to a now retired dentist that came up here from lansing years ago to open a practice. He wont eat any wild game or fish. He wont eat any meat unless its been inspected!! You can tell him till your blue in the face that that inspection is probably just some old hag with a cigerette hanging out of her mouth and the conditions of those slaughter houses but youll never get though to him. We roast a pig every year at camp for a family party and he will bring steak or burger in a package from the store and eat that instead!!
Llyod
Let me guess, he was up in the "UP' looking and leaves and trying to find the "Pictured Rock" park.
He is lucky he hit a deer and not a moose with a wolf pack behing it.
Been to Munsing, nice spot.
Gerry
MI below the bridge.

Digger
10-28-2012, 03:00 PM

Yeah , .. he was head of the wildlife commission and all the current members voted him out ....[smilie=b:
Just because he was on a legal hunt in another part of the country ? .... yeah , "loony moonbats " ... big time.
To full of them selves ....

ovendoctor
10-28-2012, 04:59 PM

had to have been one of those MTU yuppy's Eh Lloyd :bigsmyl2:

Doc.:redneck:

Lloyd Smale
10-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Im sure mtu brings in a bunch to your area!!!!

Boyscout
10-29-2012, 08:18 AM
My brother had a young basket rack 6 taken out bya car in front of his house. The deer had four shattered legs and fully alert on the ground. Two professional woman were crying and trying to find a vet. My brother took a 12 gauge and put it down in front of them. When the sheriff's deputy arrived the morons asked him to arrest my brother for murder. The duputy turned around and shook his hand and said, "Thanks, you don't know how much work it is for me to have to file reports for discharging my firearm." As only the legs were, broken (all 4), the meat had no bruising at all. Best road kill ever.

Adam10mm
10-29-2012, 11:12 AM
My older sister is marrried to a now retired dentist that came up here from lansing years ago to open a practice. He wont eat any wild game or fish. He wont eat any meat unless its been inspected!! You can tell him till your blue in the face that that inspection is probably just some old hag with a cigerette hanging out of her mouth and the conditions of those slaughter houses but youll never get though to him. We roast a pig every year at camp for a family party and he will bring steak or burger in a package from the store and eat that instead!!
Have him watch Food Inc.

Adam10mm
10-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Im sure mtu brings in a bunch to your area!!!!
Yup. Easy to spot. The dudes wear skinny jeans, man scarfs, and are always listening to an iPod.

Silvercreek Farmer
10-29-2012, 05:24 PM
About a week after I asked my wife to marry me, we saw a buck get hit by a car. We went to the house to get my dad's truck, but when we got back someone had cut the head off for the rack. It was a good size buck and I couldn't quite get in into the truck by myself, so I had her help me toss it in the back of the truck. I asked her if she wanted the heavy end or the bloodly end, she took the heavy end and we were eating backstraps a few hours later. I knew right there I had made the right choice!

felix
10-29-2012, 05:46 PM
........someone had cut the head off for the rack (leaving the meat)........ SF

That fact drives me insane!!!! I have seen it once at my river shooting spot, and I complained to no end to the cops in the small town around that land about it. I, and other shooters, were locked out of that river area by the county cops for solid EPA reasons. Folks just tore up that river area by dumping contraband and just plain ol' crop damage by 4 wheelers. I tried to be a good citizen by reporting that, and by telling the cops of some fire vandals lighting up a rolled bale of alfalfa next to a natural gas extraction. I assume the vandals were the trash dumpers, and I am betting they were responsible for the head being stolen from the deer they shot. It is just an ugly scene all the way around. But so what, the ugly people are going to take away our guns anyway. I am diminished, disgusted, and just plain sick of all this BS happening all around us honorable and constitutional citizens. ... felix

CLAYPOOL
10-29-2012, 06:01 PM
[I]llinois used to require you to call road kill in...Our office gals spent all their time doing that phone + papaer work..now if you want to mount, you have to call it in..

44fanatic
10-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Picked up a couple through the years, fortunately I didnt hit them. In TN, either the officer has to record it or notify dispatch so there is a record or you have to call TWRA dispatch prior to removing the animal.

Ive got a 130 mile round trip adventure 3 times a week, always looking for the next meal.

Lloyd Smale
10-30-2012, 05:43 AM
just what the world needs. Gay Engineers!!!!
Yup. Easy to spot. The dudes wear skinny jeans, man scarfs, and are always listening to an iPod.