PDA

View Full Version : New to muzzle loading

patsher
10-20-2012, 03:12 PM
I just bought a couple ML pistols from another member here, and would like to shoot them. Can anyone direct me to a good book so I can get started learning the basics?

tacklebury
10-20-2012, 05:23 PM
One inexpensive source: http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodgun.cfm?ProductID=10&do=detail&Cat2Option=yes

MosinRob
10-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Just say what they are and ask questions about them here. Im sure we can start you. you'll pick it up as you go.

fouronesix
10-26-2012, 06:41 PM
The Lyman Black Powder Handbook and Loading Manual is as good a place to start as any. There have been a few versions and printings of this so even an earlier one will have what you need. These are packed with information. The basics don't go out-of-date.

patsher
11-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Thanks very much for the replies! I have a Lyman Black Powder Handbook and Loading Manual on its way, and I found half a can of Goex FFF powder downstairs. If we have any decent weather this weekend, and if I can round up our son, maybe we'll get to do a trip to the range!

451 Pete
11-03-2012, 08:11 AM
A very good book that can still be found used on Amazon was the one written by Sam Fadala " The Black Powder Handgun ". It has not been printed in a number of years but gives a lot of very good and useful information on loading , shooting and cleaning of these guns.

just my thoughts ... Pete

11-03-2012, 08:44 AM
+1 on 451 pete

patsher
11-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Thanks, Pete. I'm going on a search for it right now.
Pat

patsher
11-09-2012, 03:41 AM
Well, gathered up my son (the shooter) and various other family members and went to the range with the two ML pistols -- what a HOOT! The 8 yr-old grinned from ear to ear, the 7-year old shot it, handed me the gun, then ran and hid (grinning from ear to ear), and finally even the reluctant Mother agreed to give it a try, and she was grinning too! I had all I could do just getting balls and patches lubed up and ready for the next shooter, but I finally got a turn also -- really surprised at the mildness of the recoil. But then, we were using cautious loads until we gained confidence with this new gun. At any rate, I am no longer afraid of it. We ran out of daylight long before we ran out of people wanting to shoot it again.

It was a good "maiden voyage". Made a stop at the gun shop on the way home, to pick up a few items to make the loading process go smoother-- like a flask. And those little caps are TINY, and hard for my aging, uncooperative fingers to handle easily!!! Found a little "inline capper", and about 20 minutes of practice with it at home later that night gives me confidence that we can solve THAT little problem.

Also-- found out that the "boot gun" is a different caliber from the Kentucky pistol -- and got the correct balls for that. Then, it was on to cast boolits to pick up some more ingredients for some more Emmerts lube.... this is never-ending, just like casting, isn't it? LOL !!

Pat

patsher
11-12-2012, 02:19 AM
Pete, thanks for the recommendation on Fadala's book-- found a used one and received it this week. Good read.!
Pat

451 Pete
11-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Pat, your welcome and I'm glad you are enjoying the book. Reading your posts above it sounds like the whole family is having a good time and a lot of fun. That is great. Muzzle loading is a family sport. A lot of folks will tell you that the smell of the black powder is addictive. I'm not sure if it is that or just that shooting the old style guns is really neat because they are different and because of the history that comes along with shooting them. It is doing things the same way that it was done in the past. At this point you may be wondering if shooting the shotguns and rifles that load from the front end can be as enjoyable and as much fun to shoot as the pistols .... well, they are. And they can be every bit as addictive. Welcome aboard, and I'm glad you have found something new from the past.

just my thoughts ..... Pete

Bullet Caster
11-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Glad you enjoyed your trip to the range. Especially since the whole family got to participate. Next you'll be wanting a muzzle loader rifle. I have 2 black powder guns and 3 if you count the .45 colt. I love the smell of burnt black powder. It is truly addictive. My ML rifle is a Pedersoli .50 flintlock. No need for fumbling with the tiny caps. However, my 1860 SAA uses the darned little things and are sometimes troublesome with my short fat fingers. Illeration indended. Lol. BC