PDA

View Full Version : REcent Mountain Mold for .41 magnums?

S.B.
10-20-2012, 02:47 PM
I've bought a 265 grain mold from Mountain Molds with a 93% meplat and would like to load some with Aliant Unique powder any suggestions on how much to start with? I currently load a Lyman 230 SWC with 9.0 grains for about 1125 fps, for deer hunting and would like to stay with the same powder if possible and about the same velocity.
TIA, Steve

subsonic
10-20-2012, 09:17 PM
There are a lot of variables to take into account here - the two biggest are bearing length and seating depth. More of either requires you to reduce the load even further than you would from just moving up in boolit weight. I would not load these with Unique, but that's just me. I would load with H110.

RobS
10-20-2012, 11:20 PM
More info would help for sure. If the boolit has a moderate nose length and with a meplat of 93% there would be quite a bit of case volumn so that will help in keeping the pressures lower especially when using faster such as Unique.

S.B.
10-20-2012, 11:37 PM
subsonic, the bullet is a done deal so more about designing them is moot. I never claimed to be an expert at this but, I wanted to try.
RobS, I designed this half and half. Half inside the case half outside the case. I've tried one in a empty case and fits in gun well.
Steve

S.B.
10-20-2012, 11:43 PM
I have plenty of Tite Group and H110 here maybe I'll just use one of them?
Steve

subsonic
10-20-2012, 11:46 PM
I'm not telling you how to design it, but how to get a SWAG on how to load it.

Is it longer from the crimp groove down than the 230SWC? Does it have more bearing surface or less? I'm guessing with a 93% meplat, it has more bearing surface.

How about this - do you have the specs - or can you re-create it on the mtn molds sight and show us what it looks like?

I would reduce by at least 2gr from your 230gr SWC.

Do you have a chronograph?

Dan Cash
10-21-2012, 12:03 AM
I pondered the same question with a 260 grain bullet for my .41 from LBT. I find 8 gr Unique is a pleasant loading in my Smith 57. For upper level loads, I use 2400 but don't recall off hand what the charge.

Tank56
10-21-2012, 02:38 AM
I loaded my Ruger BH using a 265 gr cast with 8 grs of Unique, but changed to a stout load of H-4227 with the same bullet when I found I got better accuracy (and hits to the same point of impact as my favorite load).

S.B.
10-21-2012, 11:41 AM
subsonic, nothing radical about this, other than the meplat, bullet(basically the same as the LBTs one). The bearing surface runs from wherever the ogive ends(just in front of the crimp groove)? Full diameter till the start of the ogive? Yes, I do have a little Pac timer/chronograph I use to check velocities.
To the other posters, Thanx for answering my question. looking to stay about 1100-1200 fps, if possible with Unique, got a ton of it onhand?
Steve I'm

RobS
10-21-2012, 03:52 PM
I would try 7 grains of Unique to start and work up until you get yourself to 1,100 fps maybe a touch more (probably won't take much more powder though). Unique is one that can spike once it hits higher pressures. Personally I would go 1,100 fps with Unique and then switch up to a slower powder if you want more velocity.