PDA

View Full Version : Lee 452-230-TC thoughts...

AviatorTroy
10-20-2012, 01:03 AM
Well I have been working on a good fun target load for my new Range Officer. I don't compete except with myself, but I want a real nice accurate load. Not worried about a dragon's breath load here, that's what the factory Gold Dots are for. I have shot about 200 rounds out of it do far, and to be honest, even from a rest, I think it has a lot more potential.

Shot the lee 230-TC conventional lube groove, but tumble lubed with straight Alox thinned a little to give that waxy coating. Zero leading.

All my stuff is cast with straight WW which should not be a limitation at these velocities.

Shooting at about 25 yards, these are the loads I have tried so far...

5.0 gr bullseye, about 5 inch group

4.5 gr bullseye, 3.5 inch group

5.0 gr bullseye with 230gr FMJ, about the same.

Things I'm going to try next include...

Starting with 5 gr bullseye and working down from there, probably 4gr minimum.

Starting with 6 gr Unique and working my way down until it stops working the action.

Might try my lee 230 gr round nose tumble lube mold, which is always reliable but less accurate from my other pistols.

Might try the Penn 200gr SWC (the price is right!)

I'd really like to get that TC bullet to shoot, since it's a 6 cav mold.

Basically the only pistol powders I have are bullseye, unique, and 2400.

Anyone else have thoughts they want to share?

Nobade
10-20-2012, 09:23 AM
I have one of those moulds, and it was throwing undersize boolits. Sent it back to Lee and they told me it was fine and I needed to learn how to cast boolits. So I lapped it out until it threw them at .454", size them to .452" and they shoot lights out in my 1911 using Green Dot. As made, they wouldn't shoot unless I paper patched them and I ain't gonna do that for handgun ammo. Might measure yours and make sure they're as big as the gun's groove diameter.

AviatorTroy
10-20-2012, 09:56 AM
I have not slugged the bore yet. My other .45, a star PD, wouldn't feed them at all so I am anxious to play with them.

Maybe if they are a hair undersized I can "beagle" the mold out just a little.

rexherring
10-20-2012, 10:50 AM
I have that boolit and load it for my Taurus PT145 compact. It's NOT a target gun by any means but shoots them as good as any with 4.5 of BE. I size them .452 an a mix of 75% WW / 25% lead and water drop them. Haven't had a problem with leading or feeding.

thegreatdane
10-20-2012, 01:57 PM
Troy, why are you working down loads? Seems backwards.

I shot that boolit quite a bit, and will have to look up my load data for ya.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

AviatorTroy
10-20-2012, 04:55 PM
I want to start with a standard velocity load and work down from there to see if it will gain accuracy by lowering velocity while still working the slide. All the bullseye match loads I have read are in the 3.5 gr range but i know that won't work the action on a gun with a standard full power spring.

Balta
10-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Thats my favorite boolit for .45,i have SmithWesson 1911.
Load with Wihtaviouri N320 ,size at .452 and from 30 jards i hit shotgun sheels.
Chrono dont show veloyity like espected ,arround 760 fps ,it cycle action with factory springs without any problems..
Also use straight WW and WQ..Yes maybe to hard for this velocity and 45 but...it work.
Zero leading ..Molds drop bullets with 230 grains
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=754&pictureid=5842