PDA

View Full Version : What do I have here?

Dorado
10-20-2012, 12:11 AM
Ok, well a friend of mine called me up yesterday asking if I wanted 200lbs of lead. Well of course I jumped on it. I got these sheets of lead that are about 1/8"x4"x3' and I paid $100 for it all.[smilie=p: He doesn't know where they came from or what they were used for. When I picked them up they were straight and smooth, unused. I was wondering what they could have been used for. Here's a picture of them. Anyone got an idea of what they could have been for? I know what I'm using them for.:cbpour:
http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/Dorado1873/IMG_0436.jpg

badbob454
10-20-2012, 12:40 AM
if its hard to bend it may be a lead free alloy if its soft probably pure lead like roofing tin , using the # 307 b as a search with lead after pulls up a lf307b lead free solder , so i would melt it and see what temp it starts to set up at , may have a hi tin content if it is solder

Dorado
10-20-2012, 12:53 AM
It's not solder. It acts like pure lead. When I put it in the pot it started melting at 550-600. In the sheets it is really soft, I can bend it length wise by hand and can cut it with tin snips easily.
Oh well, all I know is that I've got a lot of lead to work through.

badbob454
10-20-2012, 02:01 AM
a good score anyway
, now to find some lino to make hardball eh?

rintinglen
10-20-2012, 02:06 AM
Looks like the stuff they use to protect journals on turbines during disassembly and repair. If that is what it is, it is dead soft, nearly pure lead. They line the support stands with it to prevent nicks or gouges while hoisting and lowering.

tbj555
10-20-2012, 12:31 PM
great score ,looks to be what rintinglen said plates to protect nicks on shafts .

Dorado
10-22-2012, 09:32 PM
It is really soft. I think it does have a little tin in it as a gold "skin" forms at the top. I'm getting really nice ingots out of it with very little **** in it. I believe that it actually cleaned my casting pot a little.

runfiverun
10-23-2012, 02:06 AM
sounds like it has some tin in it.
the lower melt point and the gold skin is a give away there.
a bhn test or weighing against a known would help pinpoint the make-up.

Dorado
10-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I'd test it but it seems to be just as hard as my normal ingots. I used a spring punch on one of my older ingots and on a new one, I measured the indentation and I couldn't find a difference. So, I'm thinking they're about the same hardness. What that is I have no clue, but for what I'm using it for it doesn't really matter. Most of what I shoot is low velocity .38's for CAS. I have separate marked ingots for hunting alloys.

captaint
10-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Looks to me like Lino spacers. I have a bucket half full of that stuff. Can't say mine is really dead soft. Just guessing, I'd say it's between Lino and pure - somewhere. enjoy Mike

JIMinPHX
10-24-2012, 10:56 PM
Back in the old days, roofer's flashing used to be made out of lead. It looked just like that. It was pretty thin, like 1/16" max.

Lead cable sheath looks like that too, but is usually thicker than flashing. I usually see it around 1/8" thick.

There is also lead shield that is used to line rooms where x-ray machines are used.

snowtigger
10-26-2012, 02:49 AM
Back in the old days, roofer's flashing used to be made out of lead. It looked just like that. It was pretty thin, like 1/16" max.

Lead cable sheath looks like that too, but is usually thicker than flashing. I usually see it around 1/8" thick.

There is also lead shield that is used to line rooms where x-ray machines are used.

That is what it looks like to me. It is used to go behind the joints in lead backed sheet rock. It usually goes up seven feet in x-ray rooms. If you get a chance to tear out an x-ray room, do it. In front of the gun, there is a hidden shield that is 1/4 inch thick. behind the gun, it is only 1/8th inch. The nails have about 1/2 0unce of lead on the heads.

Tpb10505
10-30-2012, 06:57 PM
That is what it looks like to me. It is used to go behind the joints in lead backed sheet rock. It usually goes up seven feet in x-ray rooms. If you get a chance to tear out an x-ray room, do it. In front of the gun, there is a hidden shield that is 1/4 inch thick. behind the gun, it is only 1/8th inch. The nails have about 1/2 0unce of lead on the heads.

That was going to be my guess. I work in Nuclear Medicine (or did until a couple months ago). Kicking myself b/c I had access to all the 30lb lead bricks I could want, but that was before I got into casting... [smilie=b: