PDA

View Full Version : Ferminator chickens

sixshot
10-19-2012, 11:28 PM
A couple of years ago I picked up a very nice stainless 44 maggie from Fermin, he had converted it over to a Bisley with the 10 1/2" barrel. He told me he was sick & tired of it hitting everything he shot at. Well, now I'm having the same problem, this thing just won't miss. I've been packing it the last few days for deer but so far have only shot grouse with it, although I have seen several deer along the way.
I really think you could hold a foot over a grouse & pull the trigger & they would fly up & intercept the 240 gr cast HP that I'm running out there at 1200 fps. Of course this isn't a max load but its extremely...extremely accurate with 10 grs of Unique.
I haven't figured out the problem yet but just maybe there's a miss in there somewhere, should know in the next few days.
Last night I whacked these 2 blue grouse as they fed along a little stream, there were actually 3 of them but one bailed out on me before I could ear back the Bisley hammer, the other 2 paid dearly!
They was kind of in the shadows so I had to body shoot them, that makes it kind of rough on them when you are shooting HP's. They both started out the same size but one ended up about 6" longer than the other after that big hollow point zipped through his engine, transmission, heart, lungs,ribcage, liver, breasts & both drum sticks.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/6shot_01/100_3487.jpg
Tonight I whacked a real big blue, this one seen me coming & just squatted down in the dirt, bad choice, the big HP took most of the head off. You can see most of his head is gone. I gave these birds to a friend, she makes chicken soup out of them & wants all I can get. Six more days & I'm elk hunting, wish I had a photo of Elmer on one of my holsters! I can see a Keith classic holster in the works, yoweee!

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/6shot_01/100_3488.jpg

Dick

jdgabbard
10-20-2012, 02:56 AM
Those are some nice birds, and some real nice shootin'. Hope you get your elk. And the pistol is pretty dang nice too.

x101airborne
10-20-2012, 07:40 AM
Good luck and some great shooting! I hope you get your elk, a deer, and a pickup load of those grouse for your friend! Elmer would certainly be proud with that kind of pistoling!

Jack Stanley
10-20-2012, 09:19 AM
I got some scraps in the reject box that are missing half the base and the driving bands aren't filled out . Maybe they could help you find a miss in that big ol' long barreled sniper pistol huh? Just a tip for ya , if yer wantin' misses yer gonna hafta let up on th' quality control a bit :p[smilie=l:

Jack

bigboredad
10-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Whacked all them chickens with out crocs on.:lol: Wow maybe our little buddy Fermin was right just maybe that ferminator can shoot.;) man I'm jealous wish I was up there with ya I could really show you how to miss[smilie=s:

Sheriff
10-20-2012, 07:46 PM
Let me use that on those ground squirrels, Dick. We'd sure find out if it'd miss or not.

There's an old saying, "it ain't the gun, but the man behind it". Think it truely fits here.

sixshot
10-21-2012, 12:31 AM
Never seen so many grouse & quite a few have my name on them. I'm guessing another half dozen before I quit for the year.
Russ, you could hit them squirrels using a mirror with this gun!

Dick

9.3X62AL
10-21-2012, 06:14 AM
All good--revolver, shooting, and the field results. Best of luck on your elk hunt!

PS Paul
10-21-2012, 01:02 PM
I have been lookin' at all the great photos/stories you've posted with the .32 and now this! Man, you sure seem to have a rich and colorful life out there in ID!! Great work!!

Thumbcocker
10-21-2012, 10:12 PM
I will step up if you need someone to teach that hog leg how to miss.

44man
10-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Dick, reminds me of the time I spotted a sitting rabbit. I pulled the .44 and aimed low to take his nose.
The total meat was two back legs, nothing else was left! [smilie=l:

sixshot
10-22-2012, 11:59 PM
44man, I hear ya, shooting rabbits in the body is like shooting a pillow, they just seem to evaporate, a rabbit has a lot of water content in their flesh. I've shot hundreds here in Idaho with cast hollowpoints, mostly 357's & there's usually nothing left but the back legs, a strip of skin down the back & the ears!

Dick

bigboredad
10-23-2012, 11:05 AM
44man, I hear ya, shooting rabbits in the body is like shooting a pillow, they just seem to evaporate, a rabbit has a lot of water content in their flesh. I've shot hundreds here in Idaho with cast hollowpoints, mostly 357's & there's usually nothing left but the back legs, a strip of skin down the back & the ears!

Dick

I did that once I had just received my Milt morrison smolt so we took it out for a few test shots. My best friend laughed at me for fifteen minutes from the astonished look on my face:lol: we never did find anything from that rabbit but there was no guessing if I hit it