PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely Mesmerized

zardoz
10-19-2012, 10:56 PM
I didn't know where to put this, but this seemed as appropriate a section as any.

I've been doing some casual research over the last few months, mainly in regard to the art of gunsmithing. That is, the way it was done before the industrial revolution.

I got the Foxfire #5 book, and a few others that deal with building the type of rifles going back to the American Revolutionary War, from scratch. Those are quite absorbing in their own right.

I just found a youtube series of linked videos, called "Colonial Gunsmith", where a young Wallace Gusler goes through all the steps. Apparently this video goes back to the 1960's, and I just now watched the entire thing. Twice in fact, because I found it absolutely mesmerizing. It is narrated by David Brinkley as a second party observer, and William Devane narrarates as the voice of Gusler.

It had a lot of details on that most mysterious, (to me at least), of all the gunsmithing arts, the hand forging of the lock mechanism. Also includes case hardening, and heat treatments. All done with 18th century methods and materials.

I guess the idea of making a highly accurate firearm, from nothing more than some raw iron, raw wood, and some scrap brass (according to the video), has attracted my sense of curiosity in a big way. Even most of the tools Gusler had, were hand made by him.

The video even has a short piece on hand making each individual wood screw, as well as segments on brass casting.

Towards the end, there is a quick treatment of Gusler making a custom mould for the balls matched to the rifle. A quick pour of lead into the mold, and he's ready to make tests.

Anyway, here is the link to the starter video. If you have not seen it already, and have an interest in this sort of thing, it is captivating. I cannot imagine the satisfaction one would get from this level of craftsmanship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01vd7omp0WU&feature=channel&list=UL

Omnivore
10-23-2012, 02:11 AM
That is absolutely great. Thanks, Zar. I've only just watched a few of them, but...wow. It is refreshing, too, to hear the parts referred to by their correct names. Now we see why a truly handmade rifle can cost tens of thousands. The making of the barrel was impressive. Wen they said it was to be "welded" I expected someone to whip out a torch, but instead they used a hammer of course. The proofing with four times the normal charge was impressive. I was told by a parts maker that two times is the standard nowadays.

John Taylor
10-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Sounds like the "Gunsmith of Williamsburg", got a copy years ago on VHS. You might find it at the library also. I like the way he makes the barrel out of a flat piece of Wrought iron. I read that the piece of iron came from Sweden because they could not buy a new piece in the states. There are a few people who use old wagon wheel tires for making barrels. I prefer to use solid bar stock.

zardoz
10-28-2012, 08:01 PM
Yes, I found this on Amazon under "Gunsmith of Williamsburg". I believe I am going to order a DVD copy of this, as I believe it will be watched several times in the coming years.

I couldn't stand it anymore, as I did not have a flintlock in my muzzleloader/blackpowder collection. Just had percussion guns. So yesterday, I made a quick trip up to Union City, and got a Pedersoli Kentucky Rifle. They were on sale after all. Had to get all the "possibles" such as flints, leather, 4Fg powder, and what not.

Got home, put it all together, and fired about half dozen balls out here behind the house, in the forest. I was surprised at how fast the gun fires, after pulling the trigger, as I was expecting more delay. I had done my homework though.

Now I have to get a new mould of course.