PDA

View Full Version : Today's Purchases

ReloaderFred
10-19-2012, 10:13 PM
I paid the sum total of $500.00 for this 98% K-22, Stevens Model 35 in good condition, and a like new Remington 870 today. It was a good day, indeed!

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m606/ReloaderFred/DSCF0361.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m606/ReloaderFred/DSCF0359.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m606/ReloaderFred/DSCF0360.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m606/ReloaderFred/DSCF0361.jpg

Fred

Bullshop
10-19-2012, 10:15 PM
If thats a model 17 I see in that condition was worth the 500.

ReloaderFred
10-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Yes, it's a Model 17. It was purchased new in 1971 and came with the original (beat up) box. There is a little holster wear on both sides of the muzzle, and a slight amount on the cylinder, but the chambers and bore are pristine.

The bore on the Stevens is also nearly perfect, which isn't bad for a gun made in the 1890's. It has some light rust, which we refer to around here as "coastal patina", but nothing deep. The worst is on the metal butt cap, probably from putting down critters caught in traps.

Fred

rintinglen
10-20-2012, 03:19 AM
:kidding:Yeah, but when the cops find out you stole those guns....

Seriously, I once stood buy and let an arrogant, gun-hater give away 3,000 dollars worth of guns for 500 bucks, because she "didn't want them in HER house." I had started to offer some advice, but she was determined to sell them to the gun shop.

x101airborne
10-20-2012, 07:37 AM
I would have easily given 500 for that smith. I love old smiths.

subsonic
10-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Yes, you did quite well. 2 of the 3 guns would go for $500 or more by themselves. I don't know about that Steven's.

ReloaderFred
10-20-2012, 12:30 PM
I cleaned them all up last night and applied a light coat of oil. All the surface rust came off with stainless steel wool, without marring the blueing. The insides of all three guns look new, even the Stevens.

These were from one of those "get these guns out of the house" deals. The owner meekly said, "yes, dear", and they were his father's guns. I'm afraid I would have given her the option of moving to somewhere there weren't any guns and letting me know where she was, or making up her mind to live with them in the house. Unfortunately, he's not that kind of guy. Must be his first marraige.......

Now I've got to find homes for the two Browning Superposed O/U shotguns his father hunted with. One was made in 1933, and was his regular hunting gun, but the other one is a Grade III made in 1956, with a second set of 26" Skeet barrels. They don't put wood on guns anymore like these two have. Such a shame that he's selling off his father's guns for some woman............

Fred

Leslie Sapp
10-20-2012, 05:29 PM
he's selling off his father's guns for some woman

My prediction is that he'll deserve what's coming to him....

At least they are now in the possession of someone who appreciates them.

tacklebury
10-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Man, I never hit deals like that. Congrats...

W.R.Buchanan
10-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Bad for him,,, as a woman like that probably won't be around for long, and he'll be left with no &%ssy and no guns.

However guys like that don't need guns anyway and they are probably much better off with you.

Good deal, and I wouldn't loose a bit of sleep over it!

Love to see the OU's,,, might be interested.

Randy

dsol
10-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Man, I never hit deals like that. Congrats...

You don't want to know what I paid for two H&G San Diego 4C molds, a 50 and 130 a few weeks ago then... Lets just say I paid less for both than one would be worth by itself.

Those are some great deals, that S&W looks sweet! I always keep a few $300 or so handy for some irresistable deal that can't be passed up. I could have had a safe full of guns for less that $1000 about 8 years ago, but was so broke, I couldn't scrape a bit of it up at the time. Could have trippled my money easy and kept a few that I wanted too.

ReloaderFred
10-20-2012, 07:28 PM
I had been rat holing some money, since I knew these guns were coming up from Calif. The hassle of selling them down there was more than the guy wanted to deal with, and he has relatives who live in the same town I do. It worked out real well.

Randy,

Both Brownings sold this morning in another steal. They both went for $1,700! And that included the second barrel set for the Grade III gun. He was in a hurry to get them sold and took the offer. If I'd had another $1,700 handy, I would have grabbed them up, but I've got a trip to Tombstone, AZ next week and just didn't have the extra cash. I looked them both up in the latest Blue Book, and they booked out at about $4,800 to $5,500 for the pair, without the extra barrel set.

I knew they wouldn't last long. This was truly a gun buyer's dream deal.

Fred

Olevern
10-21-2012, 09:27 AM
O.K., you can take your mask off now :-)

I'll bet his dad is turning over in his grave.

Finster101
10-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Bad for him,,, as a woman like that probably won't be around for long, and he'll be left with no &%ssy and no guns.

Not true, he apparently has his own. Great find. I ha a K-22 that my dad bought from a guy at work years ago. I don't think it has even been fired. I know we haven't shot it. My dad was more a collector than a shooter.

W.R.Buchanan
10-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Finster; good point!

Fred:

The grade 3 would have gone instantly on Trapshooters .com for $3500-4K,,, and the other one probably would have gone in the $2500 range.

It's all about where you show them, and when yuou show them in the right place they sell for what they are worth.

It is a good thing never the less that this individual no longer has these evil tools of destruction around him, as they probably would have been destroyed in one way or another.

Randy

x101airborne
10-22-2012, 04:02 PM
Similar situation, my dad picked up a winchester 21 sxs, and two browning citori high grades all three for 1000.00.

If my wife told me to sell my dads guns, I would take them to the truck and drive straight to the lawyers office for a divorce. If one has to go, the guns win.

bob208
10-22-2012, 07:19 PM
that is how i lost my first wife. she said the guns are going or i will. that was 35 years ago. i still have the guns.

frankenfab
10-22-2012, 08:49 PM
W.R and Finster........made me laugh!