PDA

View Full Version : noobie pewter ??

bakrzdzn
10-19-2012, 09:48 PM
I was at the goodwill store the other day and saw a couple gravy boat or creamer pieces that were on the tin/metalware isle. they were not marked pewter in any way I could find. they were tarnished, and I could not bend them any where around the edge. they were asking 5/6 dollars each, but weren't that big and I don't know if they haggle.
What does it look like? and how do I make sure I am getting what I want to get?

Thanks.

Beagle333
10-19-2012, 10:21 PM
try this thread. I found it to be interesting. It's got lots of pics, anyways. :popcorn:http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=127929&highlight=pewter

captaint
10-19-2012, 10:24 PM
Never seen pewter "tarnish". May be some kind of plated something. enjoy Mike

imashooter2
10-19-2012, 10:26 PM
Sounds like cheap silver plate. I'd pass on it.

runfiverun
10-19-2012, 10:30 PM
ditto the silver plate.
i see a lot of it, it tarnishes black.
i have seen plated pewter however,but it's generally plated copper,aluminum stuff, or sumthin else.

Wal'
10-20-2012, 03:45 AM
The first hint that its not pewter was when you could not easily bend the edges.

bakrzdzn
10-20-2012, 05:18 AM
thanks for the eye opener Beagle. I did see the link once, before I went shopping, but forgot what the pic showed. I will pass on the goodwill find as it is nothing like what is shown in the link.

fryboy
10-20-2012, 06:00 AM
wal' is correct , no bend no buy , i've found lots of old pieces that were pewter ( and silver plated ) and weren't stamped as such , best thing you can do is until you learn how pewter feels/acts/etc is to stick to hallmarked pieces , even once you know it's best to smelt non-marked pieces separately
some of the other tricks of course are the acid test and the knife nick test ( pewter will cut like lead , zinc, silver plated brass,copper and aluminum wont ,in fact you'd be hard pressed to even cut them )