PDA

View Full Version : cleaning copper

smokemjoe
10-19-2012, 05:58 PM
I got some copper bullets that are discolored and ans something growing on them other then tumbleing them , is there any thing I can soak then in, I just used ammonia and that dont work, Thanks- Joe

D Crockett
10-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Smokemjoe if you can find some get some stuff called Never Dull it came in a blue and red can but I have a can thatis silver with black letters on it it looks like cotten roled up that should work on the bullets the last place I got it at was a ACE hardware store hope this helps D Crockett

billyb
10-19-2012, 08:43 PM
I have used the Birchwood Casey brass cleaner then tumbled in corncob with very good sucess. Dull jacketed will shine with corncob and nufinnish polish. Just done a couple hundred pulled m2 bullets and they look new. Bill

Artful
10-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Citric acid followed by a rinse - you know lemon juice!

actually any acid will do the same my mother used to use ketchup to clean her copper pots and pans.

fryboy
10-21-2012, 01:41 PM
+1 on the citric acid !!! makes my copper bottom pots n pans gleam ( does a great job on dirty brass too - even without stainless steel pins albeit a lil more labor intensive )

Sweetpea
10-21-2012, 02:07 PM
We always used vinegar and salt to clean our copper-bottom pans... worked very well.

Artful
10-21-2012, 03:57 PM
We always used vinegar and salt to clean our copper-bottom pans... worked very well.

Yep that's acetic acid - would work fine as well ;)

wlc
10-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Theres a product I get at Home Depot called Lime Away that works well on cleaning copper. Found that out by accident when I spilled some on some copper in the dish room here at the camps commercial kitchen.

texassako
10-22-2012, 10:00 PM
I used some cheap ketchup to clean some ugly 7.35 carcano bullets I got on here. Threw them together in an old plastic container and took one out every now and then to check condition.

Artful
10-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Theres a product I get at Home Depot called Lime Away that works well on cleaning copper. Found that out by accident when I spilled some on some copper in the dish room here at the camps commercial kitchen.

Lime Away = PHOSPHORIC ACID

http://www.ritekem.com/msds/lime-away.pdf

wlc
10-22-2012, 11:38 PM
Lime Away = PHOSPHORIC ACID

http://www.ritekem.com/msds/lime-away.pdf

OK, I use it to get rid of lime/calcium build up in the commercial dish sterilizer in the dish room. I accidently spilled some on some copper sheet and it made it shine like a new penny.