PDA

View Full Version : Homemade sizing lube?

jonk
06-04-2007, 09:07 AM
Just curious, other than commercial brands, what do you use to size cases?

I've heard folks use Udderly Smooth, bulk Lanolin, even KY Jelly. Personally I've always used Lee sizing lube, Hornady One Shot, or Dillon's spray lube, which has a Lanolin base. Still, at $8 something per bottle for the Hornady, I'd welcome the chance to use something else. My latest project is probably going to be squeezing a hole tube of Lee lube into a hairspray bottle and then filling it with water, and seeing if it will pump. Or similar with KY Jelly- which will embarrass me to buy, but what the heck.

Thoughts?

felix
06-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Just depends on the demands of the lube. For easy sizing, about any spray oil will do. When the going gets tougher, rub some anhydrous lanolin into a pad, and spray that with the spray oil. Rub/roll the cases on the pad where the going gets tough only, to minimize the use of lanolin, not because of cost, but because of the formation of dents in the case that will result. Never coat the outside of a bottle-necked case at the neck area. Wash cases in a soap solution having a low ph. Best soap I have found is made by Sun products for swimming pool filter cleaning. ... felix

Dale53
06-04-2007, 09:58 AM
The best set up I have found when doing LOTS of cases (several thousand) is to thin Lee Case Lube 10-1 (water/Lee) and then dip the decapped cases. Spread on a newspaper to dry over night. This lubes the entire case, inside and out. After drying the Lee lube does NOT hurt anything leaving it inside the case. The advantage of this is the inside of the case necks get lubed and there is no drag from the expanding stem. Plus it does a "just right" job of lubing.

Definitely a superior method. I believe I learned that from an article by C.E. Harris long ago.

I used a .50 caliber GI can with a french fry basket to contain the cases when I dipped them.

Dale53

NVcurmudgeon
06-04-2007, 10:27 AM
I have been using the same pint of STP motor oil treatment for over twenty years. At the rate I am using it, it should last me until the age of 120. STP is identical to RCBS resizing lubricant. There is a tremendous economy of scale in buying the pint can rather than the ounce bottle!

woody1
06-04-2007, 10:41 AM
STP + Hoppe's #9 a 50/50 mix works for me. Regards, Woody

jballs918
06-04-2007, 11:17 AM
i have read also that pan cooking spray works really well from what i have read

felix
06-04-2007, 11:33 AM
They all work, and it all depends on how much pressure is required. Lanolin is for the really tough sizing requirements, like swaging, and definitely is not needed for cases not needing much sizing at all. If in doubt, like for range pick up cases, then use lanolin just to be on the safe side of having a stuck case. ... felix

Lloyd Smale
06-04-2007, 11:40 AM
again ill agree with felix. For light sizing dutys about anything will work. When heavy sizing is needed its hard to beat anyhydrous lanolin. I do it a little different though. I just dip a couple of my fingers in a tub of it and wipe a very light coat on the case and put it in a loading block when i get a block full then i wipe my hands and size. You only need the thinnest of a coat using it and more is not better then less in this case. Nice thing to is its used in making felix lube so i have it all the time and a tub of it will last a guy about forever if its just being used for case lubing.

lreed
06-04-2007, 01:13 PM
Ballistol-the common black powder fix-all. I even use it as a case forming lube. lreed

Ricochet
06-04-2007, 03:35 PM
I read that Winchester uses soapy water to form the cases at the factory.

beemer
06-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Castor oil works fine,just don't lick your fingers.

Lloyd Smale
06-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Castor oil works fine,just don't lick your fingers.

bet it would make a progressive press really run :)

DLCTEX
06-05-2007, 06:33 AM
Anhydrous lanolin diluted with at least 90% isorphyl alcohol in a pump spray bottle, or + 1 on STP applied with fingers or pad. Dale

redneckdan
06-05-2007, 07:15 AM
I use STP, dip a finger in the bottle then smear it on the palm of one hand, line up 8-10 (ymmv depending on hand size) cases on yer palm and roll between yer palms. I lube 100 then put in load blocks. I lube the case necks one at a time before they go into the press, mangling .300 whisper takes a lot of lube in side the necks.

arkypete
06-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Went to Walmart bought some STP.
After sizing throw cases into tumbler for an hour or so.
Jim

Ron in PA
06-05-2007, 09:54 AM
I use a 50/50 mix of Marvel Mystery oil and STP. Ron

Ed Barrett
06-07-2007, 12:00 AM
I've got a couple of lumps of lanolin in a spray bottle with plain alcohol I give it a shake every time I use it. I spray the cases in a plastic tub and let them sit for a minute. You can feel and smell the lanolin, sort of makes you want a leg of lamb.

TAWILDCATT
06-07-2007, 01:23 PM
I use lyman case lube last a long time easy to use clean I toss cases in container and spray shake container let dry for few minutes.then size I 'v used STP too messy.:coffee: :Fire:

bushka
06-10-2007, 01:11 AM
good idea with the Ballistol,but white lithium grease in a spray shot one side only works,and great for everything else too.
dont spray any of this makedo stuff into yur empties dig?:drinks: