PDA

View Full Version : Grip Differences in .41 Magnum Marlins

kgb
10-19-2012, 03:03 PM
Do you prefer a straight grip or pistol grip on your 20" 1894 Marlin? I think I like the SG.

I missed out on the 1894S and Cowboy Marlins in .41Mag but was ready when they came out with the 1894FG. I'd gone to a local shop and tried PG and SG versions of 1894s in .44/.45; honestly, by picking them up and closing my eyes/shouldering each they all lined up and the grip felt right. The 1894FG was the one I could buy and it being my only 1894 I find not much wrong with it (after installing a Wild West Trigger Happy kit and smoothing out the bolt). With a Williams sight or scope I've shot several deer with it and about any loading is fine. 265gr Cast Performance rounds loaded up were the only kickers, and at that, the gun just bucked upward a little (I also managed to unlock the lever sometimes shooting those).

Recently I found an 1894S on the used gun shelf locally and bought it. Gotta say the smooth stock finish and lack of bulk makes it nicer to handle. Lack of swivels means no slinging, but I think overall I like the minimalist approach. Trigger will need replaced/reworked, and the Trigger Happy from my 1894FG would not fit through the S's trigger plate so I'll have to buy new.

I've shot a few loads through the 1894S, they were acceptable especially the XTP round I like in my 1894FG. From all I can tell there is nothing different between the two versions regarding barrel/construction/etc., except the stocks and trigger plates. Beyond the feel of the smoother/thinner stock, to me a straight grip looks a little more appropriate than a pistol grip with a short barreled gun like this. For a 336 or similar gun with a 24" barrel a pg looks proper.

One other thing on the 1894S, the bolt is not absolutely flush with the surface of the receiver. It protrudes just a little, as if it wasn't fitted properly or is the wrong bolt. A couple times, cycling empty cases, it has failed to pick out a case, and I wonder if the extractor is also a bit out of line, not grabbing the case very well. It might just need a beefier/new spring to grip just a little bit better.

Kirk

6pt-sika
10-20-2012, 11:27 AM
I had an 1894FG and a 1894CCL both in 41 MAG . The CCL is the same thing as the 1894CB except it's got a 20" octagon barrel instead of the original 24" octagon barrels the CB's first hit the market with . And the CCL is uncheckered as the first 1894CB's were all checkered at the grip and forend .

The 1894FG was alright and I killed a few deer with it using the Nosler 210 grain JHP as well as the Hornady 210 grain XTP .

In the 1894CCL I also shot jacketed and it did okay . The FG was scoped which meant I shot it a bit better . On the CCL I had a Lyman tang sight and it did okay .

I never fired cast in either of these . At the time I had the Lyman SWC GC mold and the only check I could find was the Hornady 416 which was a PITA to work with on that bullet (at the time I didn't know about Gator checks) . Anyway I never fired any cast in either rifle .

I wanted an 1894S but never found one when I was collecting Marlin's !

Now I'm contemplating rebarreling two of my old straight grip monte carlo 444 Marlin's to 411-444 Marlin . Already have a Ranch Dog 411-255GC mold on the way .

Salmoneye
10-20-2012, 05:11 PM
I have never seen a Marlin 1894 with anything other than a 'straight grip'...

6pt-sika
10-20-2012, 07:51 PM
I have never seen a Marlin 1894 with anything other than a 'straight grip'...

The 1894FG 41 MAG was PG .

The 1894PG 44 MAG was PG also .

After that I can't say as I remmember any others .

Well of course a good many of the "original" Marlin 1894's left the factory PG but generally as a special order thing . By "original" I mean the pre 1920 Model 1894's .

Salmoneye
10-21-2012, 07:21 AM
The 1894FG 41 MAG was PG .

The 1894PG 44 MAG was PG also .

After that I can't say as I remmember any others .

Well of course a good many of the "original" Marlin 1894's left the factory PG but generally as a special order thing . By "original" I mean the pre 1920 Model 1894's .

Well, I'll be...

Thanks for the education...

I knew about the special order originals, but had never heard of a round lever 'new' 1894...

Looked at some pics, and though I love my 336RC, the round lever on the 1894 ruins the lines IMNSHO...