PDA

View Full Version : 1st major cast anything.

Harter66
10-19-2012, 02:25 PM
Yes well, not the 1st cast harvest but compared to an 90yd Mulie 10-20yd rabbits just aren't the same any more.

The load :
44.6 IMR4350
Remington 30-06' brass
Winchester large rifle primer
My own 200 gr spire point w/.1 meplat ,wrapped in 2 laps of green bar paper.
Cast 25/75 1-20/WW a/c
2200 fps 15ft from the muzzle.

The wound channel was near identical to the old stand by 150gr Hornady SPBT 3033 . The shot was an honest 90 yd quartering away w/ entry 2" behind the shoulder blade.
Entry was 30 Cal.w/1 broken rib,quarter sized hole in the on lung,aorta MIA,50 cent piece hole through the off lung,5 broken ribs, exit through the shoulder joint ball of the off shoulder,2"hole in the hide. No boolit recovery and no suggestion of breaking up. I'm stoked ,I think there might be an elk in the future of this combo.

The best part of this isn't the 1 jump dead on impact or even that he slide to the bottom of the hill stopping just 60yd from the truck.

While butchering him up and sampling the odd count parts that weren't packaged the 3yr old announced "Poppa can I have more Bambi!" . Yep nothing better than that ! Heart and liver for lunch! :lol:;-):D

**oneshot**
10-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Cook that kid some bambi tacos!!!

quilbilly
10-20-2012, 02:49 PM
So many questions
Where did you get him? If Nevada, which unit#? Are you doing the butchering at home in the kitchen or having it done? If yes where? Just curious.

Harter66
10-20-2012, 06:55 PM
062 north west of Wild Horse res about 5 miles. Camp was 96 mi.north of Elko Nv just outside of Mountain City.

Always butcher my own at home. The pros leave too much fat and bone for my taste. It only takes me 4-5 hr for the cutting and another hr or so to clean up and set up. I've a great cleaver for the ribs, its 10" and tips in about 3#. I have sliced tomatoes w/it.

PS Paul
10-20-2012, 07:59 PM
Mmmmmmm. Tasty bambi!! ha-ha! Any photos? Especially of the boy eatin' bambi? I would like to show them to my little boy. Kind of an "inspirational", you know?

Good work! Definitely more pride in an animal taken on one of yours, eh?
Paul

Fishman
10-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Inspiring! Sounds like you did real good!

Harter66
10-21-2012, 12:41 AM
Paul,
He'd be inspired I'm sure, can't be out done by a girl.

Sorry I didn't take any pictures of the "taco"buck. I had a 1st time hunter w/me and was fully consumed in the traditions and ethos of game,gear and self. It was actually a very intense week. He's been around for some of the casting,sorting,loading,work ups,planning,and the hunt,but at 21 w/o any sportsman/outdoorsman knowledge........ that might make it even better.

TXGunNut
10-21-2012, 10:02 PM
Nicely done, even better involving youngsters in the process. Good Job!

TXGunNut
10-21-2012, 10:14 PM
So many questions
Where did you get him? If Nevada, which unit#? Are you doing the butchering at home in the kitchen or having it done? If yes where? Just curious.

Turning the kitchen into a temporary butcher shop isn't that big a deal. First time was when I shot a deer and had to get it into a cooler (an Igloo, not a walk-in) quick. Happens all the time in TX. By the time I got home I decided commercial processing would be a waste of time & money. Haven't bothered with commercial processing since.

Chief RID
10-26-2012, 06:24 AM
Great tale Harter. I enjoyed it very much. They do taste better when done at home.