PDA

View Full Version : Real happy with my 357 load but !

ruger-p94
10-19-2012, 08:26 AM
I got back from the range firing my latest load for my smith 13-3 357. I was using my new mold... 358-158-RF...with my new lube...paraffin, Vaseline, stp. and a touch of JPW.....and 7.0 grains of Unique. I had the best groupings I have had to date and found the perfect setup for the gun but. I got home and when I was cleaning the barrel I found a small trace of light gray smears which I guessed was lead. I cleaned it out easily with a little hoppe's and a brush. Now I want to tweek my setup so I can eliminate that little bit of lead. I did not have a Chronograph to figure out the speed but that will be on my Christmas list for sure. My questions are...my boolits were range lead.....should I add some stuff to raise the hardness ....get rid of the lube and go with tumble lubing LLA.. or both. I really like the 7.0 Unique for accuracy and it works well with the K frame. Any tweaks would be gratefully appreciated.

Ben
10-19-2012, 08:35 AM
If the lead was removed easily and the accuracy was what you were looking for, I'm not certain that I'd change a thing.

It is very difficult to shoot lead cast bullets and not get minor traces of leading in revolvers.

Ben

Beau Cassidy
10-19-2012, 08:41 AM
I wouldn't change a thing. Sounds like you are getting excellent results.

Tazman1602
10-19-2012, 08:50 AM
Ditto to what Ben and Beau said................

Art

MT Gianni
10-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Did you fire ten rounds or 600? I would change if I only fired 6-20 rounds and I was in a position to fire 600 most days. If this didn't apply you are in good shape.

ruger-p94
10-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Most days I only fire 50 rounds out of the smith. The arthritis in the hands sort of limits me. I also have a taurus 80 I fire a few out of just to keep current with my carry gun. I enjoy cleaning the guns so I guess a little lead is no big deal for the amt I shoot.

**oneshot**
10-19-2012, 02:44 PM
As stated above, if it removed easy I would not worry about it. On other note is: Are you sure it was lead and where was it located.

ruger-p94
10-19-2012, 04:52 PM
As stated above, if it removed easy I would not worry about it. On other note is: Are you sure it was lead and where was it located.

It was just in front of the forcing cone for about 1 inch

williamwaco
10-19-2012, 05:29 PM
Range lead makes excellent handgun bullets "as-is".

Mine usually run 8 to 10 BNH. You don't need to add anything to it but I would add about one half of one percent tin to make them fill out better. ( Like one and one half ounces of tin in a 20 pound pot.)

I never fool with custom lubes because I have been using 50/50 alox beeswax for over 50 years with excellent no-fail results. That said, I doubt that lube is your problem. I find that bad loads start showing lead after as few as 6 to 12 rounds.

You mentioned "I cleaned it out easily with a little hoppe's and a brush." That describes a very light case of leading. I would not worry about it.

Summary:
You load is a good load or you would have to do a LOT more scrubbing to clean up the bore.
If you want to tweak, be sure your bullets are .358. For sure not less than .357.
If you want to experiment with LLA, you can tumble a handful of your existing bullets and see what happens. You don't need to remove the existing lube.

See:
http://www.reloadingtips.com/pages/index-leading_problems.htm
for photos of various levels of leading.

See

http://www.reloadingtips.com/pages/lla_bullet_lube_2.htm

for an example of re-lubing with LLA.

PS.

That mold makes an excellent bullet. I have not shot a lot of them because it is a new mold for me. I have been delighted with the results. I size them .358 and lube them with LLA.

ruger-p94
10-19-2012, 06:00 PM
See:
http://www.reloadingtips.com/pages/i...g_problems.htm
for photos of various levels of leading.
Thanks for the very informative reading on leading. great site.....

StratsMan
10-19-2012, 09:20 PM
My S&W 13 is happy (and doesn't lead up) as long as I don't push the boolit too quickly out of the 'chute... I've found that 6.5g UNIQUE (and a standard small pistol primer) is an excellent practice load with any 158 grain boolit I park on top of a 357 case. At least they shoot as well (or better) than me; when I slow down, about a 2 inch group with both hands at 10 yards... Current inventory is either H&G 51's, or MP 359-640... and the 38 really likes the MP's.... both with Ben's Red...

SciFiJim
10-20-2012, 12:38 AM
Your lube is close to one that RunFiveRun is having success with. On your next batch of lube, you might add a teaspoon or two of 2-cycle oil. Or not.

Like Ben said, if it is easily removed and accuracy is good, then don't change.

If you want to experiment, then make sure you have your original recipe written down so that you can go back to it if nothing else works better.

Rex
10-20-2012, 07:18 PM
I use 7 grains of Unique with cast boolits from 150-173 grains. It is just about my favorite load. Boolits are fairly soft, I use Wheel Weitht lead and toss in a small chunk of pure lead. I ain't too scientific on the measurements. I like the softer bullets but you better be up around 750 temp when you pour them. Lube is a home made concoction. Now someone gave me 20# linotype and I'm too cheap not to use it so I'll have to figure out a recipe of it and lead to try. My L frame Smith has a little grey in the barrel when I get done with a session. I consider that very normal.