PDA

View Full Version : Crimper for 35 Whelen AI with Cast Bullets?

5Shot
10-18-2012, 11:45 PM
Any recommendations for a good crimper?

My RCBS Die doesn't seem to give much of a crimp at all, although the brass is a tad short, which might have something to do with that.

JesterGrin_1
10-19-2012, 03:22 AM
I am a little lost as to the question?

You do not mention what type of Rifle you are loading for?

But if it is a bolt gun all you wish to do is remove the flair. No crimp needed.

As for setting the crimp all you do is adjust the Die down onto the case until you have the desired crimp.

MBTcustom
10-19-2012, 07:26 AM
Also, are you shooting cast boolits?
Honestly, the Lee factory crimp die is a wonderful thing to own and use. However, I have heard of it giving some fellers problems with their boolit size.
Irregardless, you should get some brass that is long enough for your chamber. Accuracy is important on length as much as it is on diameter. You wouldn't load a 338 diameter projectile in your 35WAI so why is it OK to have brass that is .010 short also? Just my opinion, but I got a real education when I started paper patching 35 caliber boolits. When your brass is not long enough for the chamber, every single projectile has to pass through a "ring of fire" that can do God knows what to your bullet before it ever gets to the rifling. Have you ever seen the high speed footage of a bullet leaving the barrel of a gun? You see as soon as the base gets close to the crown of the muzzle, the enormous amount of crud and gas that starts being blown out. That is exactly what is going to happen in the gap between your case mouth and the end of your chamber.
Observe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otpFNL3yem4

skeettx
10-19-2012, 10:36 AM
I do not know why you would want to crimp but
to answer your question:

Seat the bullet normally with your regular dies
and then use a 38 S&W seating die with the seating stem removed.

Mike

5Shot
10-19-2012, 10:52 AM
With all of my current cast loads - 45 Colt (5 Shot Bisley Conversion) and my 45-70 (Ruger #1) I crimp with a Redding Profile Crimp die and get MUCH more consistent ignition and velocity (and Accuracy)

Not much I can do about the short brass, as it was necked up from 270 brass and it is what it is. I can't get the die down any further - it is bottoming out on the shell holder.

I wasn't trying to debate why one would want to crimp, just a suggestion, from those that do crimp on the 35 Whelen, as to what works.

MBTcustom
10-19-2012, 03:43 PM
If it were mine, I suppose would throw that baby in the lathe and turn a few thousandths off the bottom of the die. You don't know anybody with a lathe and carbide tooling do you?

5Shot
10-19-2012, 08:23 PM
My dad has a lathe, and we could do it on there, but he also has a 35 Remington Die he isn't using (I talked to him this afternoon). I can seat and crimp in 2 separate operations and see if it makes any difference before I go to the trouble to mod my 35 Whelen Die.