PDA

View Full Version : Wanted to join the .32 club today....

palmettosunshine
10-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Popped in to the pawn shop in the next town up today just to see what they had on the shelf. There in the case was a Charter Arms Patriot in .327 Federal Magnum. With trepidation I asked to see it. Stainless (brushed or matte) finish and priced right. As soon as I grabbed the cylinder I knew it wasn't for me. The end shake was considerable. As in "no way, no how, thanks very much Mr Shop owner."

Oh well, guess I'll keep looking.....

I'll Make Mine
10-18-2012, 09:35 PM
End shake can be repaired, but shooting loose with factory ammo is a design problem...

Guesser
10-18-2012, 10:22 PM
I bought one new in 2009, Target Patriot. Over 3000 rounds of hot hand loaded 327 and 2000 of 32 H&R Mag. Great little revolver, so good in fact that when they were discontinued I snagged another one. The Lyman 311316 over a healthy charge of A#9 and she fairly sings.

williamwaco
10-18-2012, 10:28 PM
I bought the Ruger SP101( I think? ) .327 Federal Magabout 6 months ago and I LOVE it.

jrayborn
10-18-2012, 11:09 PM
I have the Ruger 4" Sp101 and the GP100 in .327 mag and they both shoot like a laser. I love them!

NoZombies
10-19-2012, 09:35 AM
I have personally been unimpressed with the charters. But, I certainly understand the draw of some of their designs.

I'm a fan of the .32's as well... ;)

Green Frog
10-19-2012, 04:04 PM
With a S&W revolver, the endshake you describe is easily fixed with the addition of small washers or shims. I don't know whether they work the same way in the Charter Arms design, but if you like the gun, it might be worth looking into.

Froggie

williamwaco
10-19-2012, 06:31 PM
I have personally been unimpressed with the charters. But, I certainly understand the draw of some of their designs.

I'm a fan of the .32's as well... ;)

I recently bought a "Bulldog" .44 Special.
It is the lowest quality handgun I have ever owned. It will actually rattle when you shake it.

jdgabbard
10-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Thats the reason I refuse to buy a charter arms pistol. Every one I have picked up had bad endshake.

NoZombies
10-19-2012, 07:28 PM
I guess I feel like charter revolvers are the wheelgun equivalent of hi-point pistols:

*They work just fine, but don't inspire pride of ownership.*

I do appreciate that the charters are made in america and all that, and I have nothing against the brand as it goes, I just haven't handled one yet that I wanted to own. Other folks love them, and as I said, some of their designs seem great on paper, especially things like the target patriot in .327 and the .44 bulldog revolvers. I think I heard they were bringing out .40S&W revolvers that didn't need moon clips. I applaud that kind of ingenuity, I just haven't handled one yet that didn't feel like it was put together at 4:45 on a friday afternoon. If I ever do, I'll probably buy it.

jdgabbard
10-19-2012, 11:07 PM
You know, if they would tighten their manufacturing process up, and turn out some quality pieces I would be happy to own one. But like everything in life, you get what you pay for. And less with a Charter Arms....

palmettosunshine
10-20-2012, 12:57 PM
I was hoping for the same quality as my early model Bulldog with the 3" barrel. I've had that one since the mid to late 80's and we have covered many a mile together. It has almost no endshake at all. Should have known better to expect the more recent ones to be better quality. Had another Bulldog (the Pug) with the 2.5" barrel somewhere around 2000 that wasn't near the quality of my earlier one. That one was stolen and I never felt the need to replace it.

williamwaco
10-21-2012, 08:48 PM
I was hoping for the same quality as my early model Bulldog with the 3" barrel. I've had that one since the mid to late 80's and we have covered many a mile together. It has almost no endshake at all. Should have known better to expect the more recent ones to be better quality. Had another Bulldog (the Pug) with the 2.5" barrel somewhere around 2000 that wasn't near the quality of my earlier one. That one was stolen and I never felt the need to replace it.

I am afraid you are in for a disappointment.

I owned one of those in the mid '70s It was well made and very accurate. The one I bought recently will not hit the paper consistently at 15 yards ( from a rest ).

FergusonTO35
10-26-2012, 04:02 PM
None of my Charters exhibit endshake, my Police Undercover locks up as tight as a bank vault. I have a .32 H&R Undercoverette and its a sweet piece, the only DA .32 H&R I know of that is still in production. The design is not the most rugged in the world but my experience has been that they will give many years of good service if you take care of them and don't feed them hot reloads. I would buy one of the Patriots if I encountered one for the right price, a six shot medium frame .32 revolver has been on my want list forever. I would only feed it .32 H&R though.

trapper9260
10-27-2012, 07:56 AM
I have a 327 Ruger blackhawk and is happy with it . It just took me some getting use to it at first and like it for all I can do with it .

FergusonTO35
10-27-2012, 08:30 PM
I wouldn't mind one myself!!

Olevern
11-19-2012, 06:23 AM
Saw one in a local shop in NJ couple of days ago....a Ruger single six bisley in .32 H&R mag. I already have two in this configuration...price was $495.00 PM me if interrested and I can give you the contact information.

Ecramer
11-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Years ago, I bought a Texas Longhorn Arms Flat-top Target in .32 H&R (this was long before the development of the .327 Federal). For those of you unfamiliar with Texas Longhorn Arms, they were the "backward" Colt Peacemaker, with the ejector rod on the left side of the weapon, which actually works better for the right-handed shooter.

Because this one had water damage to its bluing from laying on a wet piece of carpet in a pawnship display cabinet, I got it relatively cheap at $750 (it was like cutting off my hand a the time, I had almost no money). I knew I'd gotten it for less than retail, and I never shot it, knowing that if I did, I'd want to keep it. I traded it for two Single Six SSMs in the same caliber, and traded those for an H&R Trapdoor Springfield Officers Model I still have today.

I later found out from a researcher that I had owned the only TLA Flat-top Target ever made in that caliber. It is this sort of business acumen that has kept me poverty stricken most of my life.

tek4260
11-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Years ago, I bought a Texas Longhorn Arms Flat-top Target in .32 H&R (this was long before the development of the .327 Federal). For those of you unfamiliar with Texas Longhorn Arms, they were the "backward" Colt Peacemaker, with the ejector rod on the left side of the weapon, which actually works better for the right-handed shooter.

Because this one had water damage to its bluing from laying on a wet piece of carpet in a pawnship display cabinet, I got it relatively cheap at $750 (it was like cutting off my hand a the time, I had almost no money). I knew I'd gotten it for less than retail, and I never shot it, knowing that if I did, I'd want to keep it. I traded it for two Single Six SSMs in the same caliber, and traded those for an H&R Trapdoor Springfield Officers Model I still have today.

I later found out from a researcher that I had owned the only TLA Flat-top Target ever made in that caliber. It is this sort of business acumen that has kept me poverty stricken most of my life.

Oh no!!! Sound's like my luck as well.

I just re-joined the 32 club with this little 327

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/DSCN1408.jpg

I'll get some better pictures and actually shoot it once it is wearing some wood grips. Till then it will sit in the corner.

dougader
12-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Hey Tek,

I picked up a stainless 327 carry comp off g-broker awhile back. Just got around to shooting it and man, did it spit like a fool from the barrel-to-cylinder gap. Timing looks ok, but the gap ran .015 - .016"! I got a shipping label from S&W and it got shipped out this week. I also had some light primer strikes with Speer ammo. I hope they get it fixed well, as it is a bit more accurate than the SP101 I sold in order to get the smith.

Mine is a higher polished stainless, not black or brushed.

tek4260
12-02-2012, 02:23 PM
I've got some grips ordered and when they arrive I'll shoot it a bit.

Refuse to fire one with Goodyears. :)

9.3X62AL
12-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Tek--

I have an easy solution to your quandary concerning the Michelin handles on that S&W.......just send those offensive grips with revolver attached to me, and I will ensure that it has a good home--fine food--and regular exercise. :)