PDA

View Full Version : Don't be a dummy!!

FergusonTO35
10-18-2012, 07:59 PM
...Like me. Today I was dip loobing some boolits in LLA. The loob was a bit thicker than I prefer.

"No problem" I thought. "I'll just put the tray in my toaster oven for a bit to warm it up."

So I did. I set the oven at its lowest setting and went to size more boolits. Soon the smell of LLA filled the air. I looked up, and a small river of fire was coming out of the toaster oven on to my work bench!! Seeing and smelling my reloading hobby--and possibly my marriage--going up in smoke, I pulled the plug and blasted it with the fire extinguisher. The fire was out, replaced by a blizzard of fire extinguisher contents.

This could've turned out way worse. No more toaster oven use for me. Any suggestions for a safer way to heat up alox and other boolit loobs?

http://www.business-strategy-innovation.com/uploaded_images/Crashtest-Dummies-799194.jpg

trying2learn
10-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Well for the lla i use a hair dryer on the boolits and lube. As for the pan lubing i use a oven and a silicone pan and warm the entire thing all as one unit. Then cool as one unit.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

geargnasher
10-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Double-boiler on a hot plate.

Gear

RobS
10-18-2012, 08:24 PM
Small Crockpot from a garage sale or thrift store

John in WI
10-18-2012, 08:27 PM
I'm with Gear.
I work as a chemist, and we use hot water baths all the time for heating flammables (solvents like ether that have a VERY low flash point and very wide explosive ratio in air).

Another thing I just picked up at Goodwill was one of those electric coffee cup warmers. I haven't used it--but it should pump a little bit of heat in to it.

Glad that things didn't turn out worse! I had to put out a small(ish) lab fire with an extinguisher, and there was powder EVERYWHERE!

FergusonTO35
10-18-2012, 09:47 PM
Good ideas. I just noticed that my small loob pans fit neatly on an electric candle wax warmer. Does that sound like a good idea?

D Crockett
10-18-2012, 09:52 PM
yep double boiler is the best way or I have a micro wave oven in my shop I use a cup of water with the bottle of alox in it I only use short times in the micro to thin the alox like 20 seconds at a time but I am always watching it like you said it could of cost you your house wife and god knows what else so be carefull D Crockett

Baja_Traveler
10-18-2012, 10:17 PM
I pan lube using a rice cooker I got for $5 at Goodwill - push the button and when it pops up the lube is melted. If I forget or get distracted, no problem because it automatically turns itself off!

ShooterAZ
10-18-2012, 10:38 PM
Ummm...when I first started casting I put a nearly full bottle of LLA in the Microwave for a tad too long, it erupted in flames like a volcano and smoked up the whole house and set off all the smoke detectors. Yes, a cup of water in the micro first, then immerse the bottle in bottle...out of the microwave!

mdi
10-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Double-boiler on a hot plate.

Gear
+1. I also occationally use a heat gun (hand held and aware so I don't over-do anything).

mooko
10-19-2012, 03:47 PM
My mother had a paraffin melter in her effects for dipping her hands to help arthritis pain. A few minutes after getting ready to junk it, it had an epiphany: if it melts paraffin safely, it will work well with boolit lubes also.
So, hey, cool looking free lube melter.

Mike

mooman76
10-20-2012, 01:23 PM
I use a microwave but only a few seconds at a time and when it starts to get warm, I shake the bottle to even out the heat.

turmech
10-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Good ideas. I just noticed that my small loob pans fit neatly on an electric candle wax warmer. Does that sound like a good idea?

Candle warmer is what I use for warming LLA for dip lube. I use a old candle jar with lid. Works good for me Does not get LLA real hot seems kind of perfect for me.

Inkman
10-24-2012, 11:26 PM
Full bottle of Recluse lube when cold gets 20 seconds in the nuke machine, shook up and maybe 20 more.

Al

nemesisenforcer
10-25-2012, 12:41 AM
Hot water in a sports bottle or a hair dryer, just be careful not to melt the LLA bottle.

milkman
10-25-2012, 04:16 AM
old "Mr Coffee" type coffee maker warmer plate. Just need to use a metal container to melt in. I use a tuna can. You might want to be sure to take the tuna out first.
Milkman