PDA

View Full Version : A price Question

Beekeeper
10-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Just returned from the local gyp joint gun shop.
Was trying to get an appraisal and estimated value of a couple of guns.
Boy talk about averice. Guy was drooling and at the same time telling me they were junk.

Here's what I have .I am trying to get a value on so I will have it for insurance purposes and what they are worth If I decide to sell them.

(1) an unfired Winchester model 12 shot gun.No rib so think it is a field grade gun
34 in full choke barrel.There is on spot where there is no finish on the butt stock.
Caused by a spilt bottle of cologne on a closet shelf I am told.

(2) an original colt 45 1911 in military form with original clip and hand grips.
I estimate it has been fired about 100 times.

Both guns were willed to me by an uncle who was a banker in Colorado.
The Winchester was a gift from a rancher to my uncle for helping him over a hard time.
The 45 was his from the service ( he was in a Marine comm batalion) and was his desk drawer gun for all the years he was in the banking business..
My guess is the little wear it has is due to being shifted around in his desk.

He was not a shooter and seldom even mentioned them.
Didn't know they were mine until he passed

Want to get some idea for the insurance man.

beekeeper

felix
10-18-2012, 06:14 PM
Best advice would be have the guns valued by a noted (if possible) dealer using letter head at what you would take for them RIGHT now, OR, the value of the guns you would like to purchase today which would replace both. In the acp instance, would you trade the gun even for a Wilson combat, Brown target? If so, let the dealer put that value down on paper. Do same with the model 12. ... felix

GOPHER SLAYER
10-18-2012, 06:43 PM
Beekeeper, the 1911 is valued from 800 up depending on who made it. I recently saw a Remington WWII 1911 sell for 1600 dollars. The model 12 on the other hand has not faired so well. I recently tried to sell one for my brother and I couldn't get three hundred for it. Ten or twelve years ago they were bringing six or seven hundred just for a field grade. I was told that trap shooters used to buy one and trick it up with ribs and fancy wood. Now they buy over/unders or one of the new semi autos. I took the model 12 I was trying to sell to two trap ranges and I couldn't get a single offer.

gbrown
10-18-2012, 07:25 PM
What I have seen down here in TX, Gopher Slayer is dead on. Problem is, where is the market? For retail, you gotta find someone who wants it. Otherwise, its like the pawn shows on TV. They will low ball you, not knowing how long they will hold it or what the market will do. I see it all the time at gun shows--their stuff is gold, yours is junk. Although it is a bitter pill to swallow, you can't blame 'em. They're trying to make as much as they can.

darkroommike
10-18-2012, 11:56 PM
When did it become un-American for a small business owner to make a profit? If you ask a dealer to value your guns he is going to give you a wholesale price, the difference between that price and the price he puts on the item when it gets to his display case is what keeps the lights on.

If on the other hand, you PAY for an appraisal, the price he gives you will be pretty close to what he feels the fair market replacement value, at retail is for your gun. Appraisers make their money with their brains, not their inventory.

Mooseman
10-19-2012, 01:17 AM
I do free appraisals for estates just to help people not get screwed by guns shops and pawn shops. I give them the value by the book retail and what they can expect wholesale price wise.
A Colt 1911 depending on serial number and condition have gone as high as 20,000.00 Especially Mint guns are in Big demand by collectors. Most are running 1200 UP for even fair shaped shooters. A 90% to 95% shape Colt 1911 Books at 2000.00 to 8000.00 depending so I need more info...A 98% gun is even Higher value.

I collect Model 12 Winchesters too. Depending on condition and date of manufacture and grade etc.they can run from 350.00 to as much as 1500 or more depending on proofmarks, barrel length , date, deluxe wood , etc.

If you need help or advice , contact me by PM and I will see what I can do.
It is a free Service for Members here too. and I have references.
I can Call you for free too.
Rich

EDK
10-19-2012, 01:30 AM
You can use the FJESTAD BLUE BOOK OF GUN VALUES...it won't make you very happy! BUT it is an accepted industry standard.

I had to inventory my toys for divorce proceedings. The former SWMBO had a fit about the prices...said I paid a lot more for everything. I agreed and said this is what a fair market value was to SELL, not what a BUYER would pay in the gun shop. One local shop said FJESTAD minus 10%; another said 1/2 of FJESTAD. (Needless to say, I wouldn't sell for those prices.) BUT those comments ain't gonna hurt me in court!

Just the facts.

:redneck: :cbpour: :guntootsmiley: