PDA

View Full Version : 32-20 rim dia.?

Czech_too
10-18-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm not sure if this question goes here, but since it involves a Marlin 1889...

The other day I fired some factory Federal ammo in a newly purchased 1889 and found that some cases would not catch upon the extractor. This makes me 'think' that the rim dia. of the case, being undersized, are the cause of the extraction problem.

According to specs, the rim 'should' be .408", the Remington's fall into the .405-06" range. The Starline brass I have measures in the .402-03" range.

Would anyone who has some Winchester head stamp brass be so kind as to measure that brass for rim dia. before I go out and buy some of it.

Thanks

cuzinbruce
10-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Hi, It is hard to get a good read on the rim, but the ones I have seem to be about .4025. That's with a B&S mike. Headstamp is W-W. New, came from a poly band for reloading. W-W cases also seem to run shorter than spec. Or the other brands for that matter.
I hope this helps,
Bruce

Reg
10-18-2012, 05:51 PM
That couple of thousands is not your problem. Better check out the extractor. Could be worn, jammed in position or have dirt under it holding it "up", in any case , most extraction systems are designed to handle shells a lot smaller in dia.

smithywess
10-18-2012, 06:01 PM
I measured Remington case head diameters to .4047" to .405". I'm with Reg here. It's not the rim diameter but rather the extractor. Probably a broken or very weak extractor spring. Punch out the retaining pin from below to upwards and reinsert it from above to downwards. I've had this problem with a Model of 1889 which managed to just extract several cases even with a busted spring !

Czech_too
10-19-2012, 04:50 AM
My thanks to all for your quick AND helpfull responses. I'll look into this further and see what sort of remedy is needed. I see that Numrich has the extractor, spring and pin in stock if needed. That's a plus.

bubba15301
10-19-2012, 10:50 PM
what federal ammo were you shooting? never saw federal 32/20ammo. dont think federal ever loaded it. i think you look at the empty brass you were shooting and check the headstamp.

bubba15301
10-21-2012, 07:18 PM
did anybody catch that he said he was shooting Federal ammo? FEDEral does not offer 32/20 ammo never did! he has to be shooting the wrong ammo in his gun if it is federal ammo. quote"The other day I fired some factory Federal ammo in a newly purchased 1889 "from op post

Czech_too
10-22-2012, 12:32 AM
I see in my OP that in one line I mention using Federal factory ammunition, while in another I'm measuring Remington. My mistake, the factory ammunition was Remington.