PDA

View Full Version : Price check on Ruger BH 45LC

wonderwolf
06-03-2007, 10:59 PM
I know its not a S&W but A friend of mine purchased a Ruger 45LC blackhawk not to long ago. It was modified for hip shooting and trick shooting mostly. The front sight has been shortened and it shoots about 18" high he says. He got a uberti in 45LC to replace it and has since told me he plans on selling the Ruger. The gun is in Used condition but not abused. Has modifications done for the cowboy action shooting or whatever. He is asking $250 for it and I don't think thats a bad price on it. Its about what he gave for it. He says I have 1st dibs. So should I jump on this or not?

I have only ever owned S&W's and shot my dads 41 and 357 black hawks. I liked them but didnt shoot them enough to get the feel for them. I'm thinking I'll get this and that 244gr Keith mold 6cav over in the group buy section to go along with it and my 1911. Its got a 5" or so barrel on it so it will be a handy piece I think.

targetshootr
06-03-2007, 11:10 PM
Since it needs a new front blade you might get him down a little more. Having said that, I'd pay $250 as it is cause I like them Rugers.

wonderwolf
06-04-2007, 09:33 AM
How do the front blades swap out on those? Is it sweated on or pinned in?

targetshootr
06-04-2007, 11:09 AM
If it's blue it's probably soldered on so it's not an easy fix.

Lee
06-04-2007, 01:26 PM
$250? Buy it now, worry about what you paid later. If you sent it to Ruger to rework, they will "unwork" anything that is not Ruger factory. Legal nonsense, I suppose. But you would get it back in "new" condition.
Around here used ones are going for $350-$400, so I don't think $250 is bad at all. As pointed out, if you can get it for less, even better!...........Lee;-)

shooting on a shoestring
06-04-2007, 11:01 PM
I think $250 for the BH is a great price. However, my recent experience was a .45 Colt BH, 7.5" barrel made in 2001, aluminum grip frame broke. Yep, broke almost clean off. I was shooting lots of 250 SWC in the 1000 to 1100 fps range and several boxes, maybe 300 to 500 of Lee 300 gr Flat Nose 1100 to 1300 fps. It let go with 23 gr H4227, giving about 1250 fps. Lastmanout supplied me with a brass grip frame, sure feels better, looks better too. Ruger sells the steel grip frame, unfinished, not fitted for about $110, the SS one for about $120. Both need a little file work to fit them.

If you don't push it hard, probably won't be a concern, but if you do use some of the "Ruger Only" loads, you'll probably get to learn how to fit a new grip frame. i was suprised to learn mine was not an isolated instance in .45 Colt BH's. I suppose that's why all the .44 Mags come from the factory with steel grip frames.

But that $250 is a good price. The front sight can be fixed at Ruger, or a local smith and still be way less $ than new, and shoot the same as new.

Crash_Corrigan
06-05-2007, 03:39 AM
I just got a new model RBH in the above cal w a brass frame with the squared trigger guard and a stag set of grips. Its about 95% and shoots real nice. I load 6 gr of trailboss under a 250 gr LRNFP and it is manageable and fun. I have not tried the .45 acp cyl yet. I paid $325 plus shipping and I am satisfied. If it aint too ugly pay the $250 and keep it forever. A good smith can put the right to rights. You really cannot go wrong with a Ruger BH unless it has been bubbicized by an idiot.

wonderwolf
06-09-2007, 10:51 AM
I think $250 for the BH is a great price. However, my recent experience was a .45 Colt BH, 7.5" barrel made in 2001, aluminum grip frame broke. Yep, broke almost clean off. I was shooting lots of 250 SWC in the 1000 to 1100 fps range and several boxes, maybe 300 to 500 of Lee 300 gr Flat Nose 1100 to 1300 fps. It let go with 23 gr H4227, giving about 1250 fps. Lastmanout supplied me with a brass grip frame, sure feels better, looks better too. Ruger sells the steel grip frame, unfinished, not fitted for about $110, the SS one for about $120. Both need a little file work to fit them.

If you don't push it hard, probably won't be a concern, but if you do use some of the "Ruger Only" loads, you'll probably get to learn how to fit a new grip frame. i was suprised to learn mine was not an isolated instance in .45 Colt BH's. I suppose that's why all the .44 Mags come from the factory with steel grip frames.

But that $250 is a good price. The front sight can be fixed at Ruger, or a local smith and still be way less $ than new, and shoot the same as new.

Can you tell me more about that brass grip frame please sounds very interesting[smilie=1:

wonderwolf
06-12-2007, 01:15 PM
I'm giggling with excitement... I picked up the Ruger last night for the $250 price I know the guy really well and thats what he paid for the gun. Plus he threw in a new front sight from brownells. I need to get a rear sight and get to work. I might give Ruger a call and see what can be done if I send it in. I'm fairly good at gun work myself.

The top cylinder bridge was "smoothed" over on the corners and the rear. The rear sight was made into a simple V notch sight...ugly as sin. The aluminum parts on the gun (ejection rod cover and grip frame) were buffed out with steel wool or something and are now in the "white" But the bluing on the rest of the gun is good , the bore is good and the cylinder is tight. This is my first Ruger after 5 S&W N frames so we'll see how I like it at the end of the summer.

Can you give me more info please on the brass frames?

wonderwolf
06-12-2007, 01:24 PM
opps...so excited I double posted

targetshootr
06-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Sounds like the cylinder may have black powder chamfer which is a nice touch if it was done right. Not sure what's going on with the rear sight. Pics would be swell. You can buy brass grip frames for about $175 from Brownells or maybe Qualite.

wonderwolf
12-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Got a take off rear sight from a gunsmith friend for $10 and my dad (who used to do stain glass windows and is not half bad with solder) put on the new rear sight for me. My gunsmith friend looked over the gun...said I shouldn't run top max heavy loads through it as a steady diet. The frame has been weakened some but not enough to cause any concern. I'll post a picture NOW that I have my new camera and I figure out how to get them out of the camera and onto here :)

AZ-Stew
12-02-2007, 07:29 PM
I have a friend who is trying to sell a genuine Ruger brass grip frame, but he wants more for it than you have tied up in your revolver so far. The genuine Ruger brass grip frames are scarce and demand high prices.

Regards,

Stew

wonderwolf
12-02-2007, 08:30 PM
I'll just save a bunch of 40 S&W brass..have it melted down into a chunk and mill out my own frame :drinks:

454PB
12-02-2007, 10:25 PM
I'll just save a bunch of 40 S&W brass..have it melted down into a chunk and mill out my own frame :drinks:

This from a guy that can't figure how to get his pictures from his camera???:bigsmyl2:

wonderwolf
12-02-2007, 10:44 PM
This forum must have a small image size limitation so I'll have to host the files else where for the time being. Its a new to me camera that takes those 3" discs. Slideshow pictures (http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e220/wonderwolf223/Pistola/?action=view&slideshow=true)

454PB
12-02-2007, 10:53 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e220/wonderwolf223/Pistola/DSC00003.jpg

wonderwolf
12-02-2007, 11:02 PM
yeah....Now that I compared it to another BH it is abused cosmetically, its like he got it new and destroyed it without shooting it much. :roll:

454PB
12-03-2007, 01:27 AM
Not to worry....one of my better shooters is an old Security Six that looks like it spent most of it's life rattling around under some pickup truck seat. Someday I may send it back to Ruger and get it "purdied up", but it shoots so well I'm afraid they might change something other than the appearance.

wonderwolf
12-03-2007, 02:30 AM
Not to worry....one of my better shooters is an old Security Six that looks like it spent most of it's life rattling around under some pickup truck seat. Someday I may send it back to Ruger and get it "purdied up", but it shoots so well I'm afraid they might change something other than the appearance.

yeah I know what you mean, The gunsmith friend who sold me the take off rear sight saw this gun and was kinda funny about it. "wellllllllll I wouldn't shoot any heavy loads out of it....ehhhhh I guess you can....Yeah...try it and see" He admitted Rugers have a lot of meat on them and though this one has had a bit removed off of the rear of the top strap it can still take stout loads...I would not be afraid to try "ruger only" loads through it....though I have no real need to unless I'm loading for bear or something.

What is "the .45 LC load"? we have the 429421 with 22gr of 2400 for .44 mag...and some mantra similar for the .357 mag but what is a good bullet weight and load for the .45LC?

ALSO...out of curiosity I looked at the differance between .45LC and .454 casull magnum and my "Cartridge conversion book" Says they are the same in every way including water case capacity..But I looked on ammoguide.com and they say its longer by 1/10" what gives??

Lloyd Smale
12-03-2007, 06:41 AM
heres what id do. Id contact ruger and tell them your sending it in for refinishing. Im about betting when they see how its been cut up there going to send you a new gun and toss that one in the scrap heap. I would trust no gun that has had the frame modified by anything but a competent gunsmith that knows what metal can be removed and what metal needs to be welded back in. Chances are its fine as rugers are stout guns but id hate to see you hurt trying to save a few bucks buying a gun.

9.3X62AL
12-03-2007, 09:15 AM
An easy load for the Colt SAA or their replicas uses Unique powder and either Lyman #454190 or #454424 and Unique. In my 7.5" BisHawk, 8.0 grains gives almost 800 FPS--9.0 grains goes 875 FPS--and 10.0 grains is about 950 FPS.

I share Lloyd's concerns about your revolver. I surely wouldn't run Ruger-level loads through it, and maybe a fixture could be found to do the initial load testing with.

MT Gianni
12-03-2007, 10:57 AM
I would shoot it with a mild load of Unique as Al suggest to get a baseline before sending it in to Ruger. Gianni

wonderwolf
12-12-2007, 01:50 AM
I took the gun out Sunday with a good line up of loads. 9gr-11gr Unique in 1/2 gr steps using 200gr SWC chronographed and tested for accuracy at 20yards. Then tested some 230gr RN at Ruger only loadings again with unique. Everything looked great and the loads didn't feel all that heavy to be honest. I got a single cavity 252Gr flat nose mold for $10 at a gun show over the weekend to mess around with. Dad picked up a set of Hogue grips for $8 as well which seem to work SO much better than the wood stocks. I got some 4" and 5" groups with the wood stocks I'm sure that will improve alot now that I have more of a purchase on the gun.:Fire:

Hackleback
12-12-2007, 06:29 AM
If any of you have a Ruger that is broken, does not work right, or just needs some TLC, sent it back to the factory and they will do you right! Recently purchased a BH that had been rode hard and put up wet. On the first outing, I broke the ejector rod so I sent it in to be repaired with a note saying I wanted to discuss having it refinished. Well Ruger fixed and refinished it and sent it back free of charge! now I have a like new BH.

Thanks Ruger!!

wonderwolf
02-06-2008, 03:43 AM
Instead of starting a new thread I'll just ask the Q here since it has to do with this gun anyways.

Whats the heaviest bullet one can/has shot out of a ruger 45LC? I have a 400gr .457 bullet here and I'm thinking a case full of blackpowder? can't find data that goes above a 325Gr bullet but I know heavier have been done.

I'm gonna have about 3/8 case cap after bullet is seated flush with cylinder.