PDA

View Full Version : Lube Groove/Driving Band Question

5Shot
10-18-2012, 12:51 AM
I am going to be ordering a bullet mold for my 35 Whelen AI in the near future (Most likely from Mountain Molds), but I have a question regarding the shank design.

I would like to push this bullet a bit - 2200-2400 fps, which leads to the real question: Do I want more lube grooves and thus smaller driving bands (although more of them) or do I want one large lube cavity with much larger driving bands? Does it even matter?

The bullet needs to have a bore ride nose (so no driving band ahead of the crimp), it will have a GC, roughly 260 grns and the Douglas Barrel is a 1:12. I will probably use Felix Lube, as that is what is in my Lubrisizer.

Thanks

stubshaft
10-18-2012, 01:52 AM
I have driven a single groove boolit (RCBS-145-SIL) over 2700 with Felix lube.

runfiverun
10-18-2012, 10:33 AM
i prefer single lube groove boolits.
if you are going to push the boolit hard i would suggest maximizing your bearing length.
lessen the bore riding area, that is where you run into problems with h/v design.
look at something like the saeco #248 [250 gr] boolit for inspiration.
it shoots well for me at full jaxketed velocitys in my 358 win.
the only thing i would really change about it is to just shorten the nose a little.

grouch
10-18-2012, 12:11 PM
My set of superstitions would favor more driving bands and a gas check shank long enough to carry some bullet lube. The front driving band should be .1" to stand getting the rotation started, and the length of unsupported nose wobbling off down the barrel should be minimized. The bore ride if any should be very short and the taper from the front band to the nose should ideally match the focing cone angle.
Exposed grease grooves should not be lubricated. Free advice may well be worth what you pay for it, but these are my thoughts.
Grouch

Larry Gibson
10-18-2012, 12:25 PM
I woud use the RCBS 35-300-FN as a basis and simply extend the nose for the desired bullets weight. That bullet carries sufficient lube with excellent ratio of dirving band to lube groove bearing surface.

Larry Gibson

5Shot
10-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I have some samples of various designs coming from some of the members here in order to see what has a chance of working with this rifle.

Still have to slug the throat, but I will have that done soon enough.