PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed on next loading

milsurpaddict
10-17-2012, 11:22 PM
Hey everyone

I am going to purchase my next set of dies for reloading. I know the brand I am going to use but any suggestions on which caliber. I was thinking 9mm but I also shoot 40 S&W, 45acp, 7.7 Jap, and I already load for my makarov. So which one should it be.
THanks

MT Chambers
10-17-2012, 11:30 PM
I would buy the dies to match the caliber of gun you shoot.

captain-03
10-17-2012, 11:37 PM
The one you shoot the most!!

milsurpaddict
10-17-2012, 11:49 PM
I was thinking the 9mm but they are cheap to buy so 45 was my thought. I can save more loading for that caliber.

NoZombies
10-18-2012, 10:23 AM
.45 or the 7.7 seem to make the most sense, savings wise. But even with the 9mm, if you're casting and loading already, it doesn't take long to recoup a lee 6 cavity mold and a set of reloading dies.

captaint
10-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Whatever gets the most shooting time. You don't really want to be buying ammo do you ?? enjoy Mike

jdgabbard
10-18-2012, 12:23 PM
I'd have to agree, whatever you shoot the most makes the most sense. However, something else I'll throw out there at you is: it's bee my experience that starting off with pistol calibers seems to be more forgiving with cast, and lets you iron out some things before you jump into rifle calibers. Rifles can be more picky about how you load them. It's just easier to learn with a pistol caliber.

HangFireW8
10-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Refining the good advice here a bit further, I suggest casting for the gun you'd LIKE to shoot the most, but don't because of ammo cost or availability, rather than the one you're already shooting the most, or the one you would save the most on, but are less interested in shooting.

The savings for 9mm is possible but slim. 9mm and 40 are a bit challenging with cast because they are small capacity and high pressure, but certainly doable. 45 is a lot easier to find loads that do it all - feed, don't foul, and shoot accurately.

Moonie
10-18-2012, 09:52 PM
of those the 45 acp probably has the highest success rate. It is low pressure, almost always works well with boolits sized to .452 and cast load data is very plentiful. Not to mention all of the good molds by multiple mold makers that work very well in it.

Centaur 1
10-18-2012, 10:18 PM
I just bought my very first .45, a RIA 1911. If I only knew how much fun it is to shoot, I would have bought one years ago. Go buy .45 dies and a 200 grain swc mold. Then stop at every tire store along the way to scrounge wheel weights, you'll need lots of them.

runfiverun
10-19-2012, 12:00 AM
the 7.7 dies will save the most money by far.
you can buy 9m 40 S&W ammo for slightly more than making it.
plus it gives you more brass.
however the 7,7 can be a bit difficult with lead boolits but it is a very good teacher.

Jal5
10-19-2012, 11:59 AM
The 9mm is tricky to load cast for as I am finding out. But with a little patience you can do it too. Brass is plentiful and free at most ranges!

Wayne Smith
10-19-2012, 12:22 PM
For the 7.7, the .45, and the 40 brand of dies don't matter. Go on eBay and save yourself loads of money, dies don't wear out.

There was an interesting small article a month or so ago in the American Rifleman stating the cost of reloading the 9mm with condom bullets. Turn the page back one page and you see an ad from Cheaper than Dirt for 9mm almost a dollar per 50 cheaper than reloading! I thought the juxtaposition was interesting.

Cast boolits in the 9mm are probably a graduate level experience. High pressure, high velocity, small cartridge makes it quite sensitive. Save yourself the money buying 9mm dies until you are at that level. It's cheaper to buy than reload otherwise.