PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a removable choke to a.....

Four Fingers of Death
10-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Savage 24V 222/20Ga Combo. Anyone ever done it?

Probably cost as much as the gun is worth, but just curious. That would really increase the gun's usefullness.

Mooseman
10-17-2012, 09:10 PM
Because those guns have increased in value significantly I would NOT do it...

Four Fingers of Death
10-17-2012, 09:12 PM
They are not a big dollar item here. Probably better to load to create a better/wider pattern.

Mooseman
10-17-2012, 09:13 PM
They run 400 to 500 in good shape most everywhere now...

Four Fingers of Death
10-18-2012, 03:09 AM
I haven't seen one on the shelves for a long time, my mate paid $350 for mine, bought 30 5x packs of Winchester Slugs ( I can't imagine what they cost!!) and a couple of boxes of No4s, fitted a Leupold Vari X11 2-7 scope, worked out a 222 load for it, loaded 50 rounds, took it out a few times, used about twenty five or so of the slugs and about 30 of the 222s he had loaded. He didn't use the shotshells (he is not into shotguns at all) and sold the lot to me for $450. He said he was getting rid of it because he was dead broke at the time and asked me to help him out.

I found out later that he was talking to another guy at the range and told him he got rid of it because he was unhappy with the 222's accuracy. I looked at his reloads before I shot them and the bullets were all slightly crooked in the neck and the necks were slightly buldged on one side. I pulled the bullets on three random rounds and the powder charge was consistent. I fired one and it fireformed the neck fine and actually hit the target where I aimed. The target was set at 50yards and I ended up shooting all of them. The target had five aiming points and ten shots were fired at each and the groups were a bit over an inch, even with the wonky bullet seating.

I reckon that I should be able to improve on that with properly loaded ammo.

I got a good deal and am happy with the outfit. My mate failed the honesty test unfortunately. The fact is for that money I would have given the gun a go anyway.

I should have it fully sorted by next winter (it is Spring here) and it will take a few foxskins! My Chinese wife and her friends have ordered fox skins to sew into stoles and jackets, lol. With a few of those slugs in my pocket, I am ready for most anything I am going to run into.

Mooseman
10-18-2012, 04:55 AM
.222 is a very accurate cartridge if Loaded properly and good for fox sized critters out to 150 meters or more...One of My friends in AU said he was looking at one in a shop but they wanted 900 AU dollars for it.
I have the .22LR / 20ga. and my neighbor has the 30-30 /20ga.

Rich

Four Fingers of Death
10-18-2012, 06:21 AM
You really don't see them for sale here much. I'm sure I will be able to coax 1"-1.5" 3 shot groups out of it with careful loading. That's good enough for 125-150 yards, which is way beyond most of the shots I have ever taken on game. I'm quiet, I'm sneaky and I'm patient, this formula always works for me. I don't cover much ground, but I get er' done, lol. This rifle will be plenty accurate for me.

Buttonbuck
10-24-2012, 06:24 AM
I would love to find one in .223 and 20 I think they made 20 &12 with the .223, anyway I have the 410-22 stevens got it about almost 20 years ago. I traded a rossi pump action 22 gallery gun and a H&R 410 for the rifle. After that I do not think I ever traded off a gun for a gun after that just sold a CETME to get an AR, and a super redhawk for a bunch of masorary work each time I got more than I paid. I would not ruin the value of that gun, I am sure there will be aftermarket barrels and other things as time goes by. MY Kids squirrel hunt with the 410 for now one of my favorite guns.

Four Fingers of Death
10-24-2012, 09:26 AM
If I can improve the trigger a tad, I thinkit will become one of my favourites as well.