PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 310 tool=help

GOPHER SLAYER
10-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Could someone tell me where I might find a cross reference for lyman 310 dies. Many of them just have numbers with no indication what cartridge it is used for. I bought all this stuff many years ago and never loaded a round with any of it. The dies that are laying by themselves came out of a box marked 45-70. I thought it would be nice to load at least one cartridge with them. I did manage to neck size a 45-70 case but I can't see how to expand the mouth. I think I may be missing some parts. The box on the left is marked 45-90 but there are only two dies in it.

Pressman
10-17-2012, 07:37 PM
I have copies of all the Lyman catalog charts for the 310 and bullet molds, top punches and sizing dies saved as PDF's. Free to anyone for asking.
Ken

Green Frog
10-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Gopher Slayer, go to the bottom of this page and click on the Castpics banner. When that page comes up, click on References, then go to the page for the 310 tool. That page will take you to a chart we put together that sort of combines all the available charts to identify most (but not all) numbers that Lyman used on these dies. Drop me a PM if you can't find what you need.

Regards,
Froggie

oldscool
10-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Another good reference.

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/310/Ideal_310_Quick_Reference.html

GOPHER SLAYER
10-18-2012, 03:18 PM
I want to thank you guys for answering my request for help. I am constantly amazed at how quick you can get help on this site. If you ever need a question answered such as, where to find burried treasure, how to make a million dollars or where to find beautiful women, well I can't help you. Thanks again

GOPHER SLAYER
10-18-2012, 07:19 PM
This is my first load ever with the 310 tool. It is as you can see is a 45-70. This type of reloading tool has much to recommend it, such as cost and compactness but speed isn't one of them. I would hate to go into cowboy action shooting if these were the only tools I had.

Green Frog
10-18-2012, 11:25 PM
I used to load 32-40 ammo on a little TruLine Jr press clamped to the bench at a Ram Bash, so a 310 Tool shouldn't be too much of a challenge. Take time to smell (and drink) the coffee! :coffeecom :wink:

Froggie

3006guns
10-21-2012, 10:36 AM
I have several 310 tools and pack them along on weekend trips in the desert. With a supply of boolits, powder and primers I keep shooting long after my buddies have run out of ammo and are whining to go home.:guntootsmiley:

If there's one piece of advice I would offer it would be to go easy on the depriming. Those itty bitty depriming pins bend or break easily if you get in a big hurry. A few replacements taped to the inside of the box can really save your bacon at times!